PDA

View Full Version : Single stage paint

Mobilejay
11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
any precautions i must take? i was contacted earlier today about a ford ranchero that needs to be detailed and i havent done any SS paint so didnt know if there was anything i needed to be careful with. ill be useing a pc. thanks in advance for the info

Mobilejay
11-14-2006, 04:24 PM
i guess theres no precautions i should take

White95Max
11-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Well you only waited an hour for a response...

But no, it`s pretty much the same deal as CC paint. The only difference you`ll notice is that your pad will turn the color of the car. Just keep a bucket of warm water nearby to wash the paint off of the pad every once in a while.

BigJimZ28
11-14-2006, 04:37 PM
ss is a little softer than cc

ss like products with oils in then (rmg, meg`s)

there will be paint on your pads! relax that`s normal

ss usually looks beter with carnuba wax than a sealant

David703
11-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually I like SS paint better to detail. It has always to me seems softer than some clearcoats.

Nothing special to worry about except be careful around edges because you can take the paint off even with a PC. (I`ve done it on my Bronco). And if is an older car, the paint may be very thin to begin with. So use the principles of start with the least aggressive polish and pad and adjust accordingly.

And don`t freak out when your pads turn the color of the car. Thats what is supposed to happen.

Here`s a pic of my bronco with Single stage paint.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/David85719/sileranniversary095.jpg

White95Max
11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
ss is a little softer than cc

That`s an incorrect generalization. The hardness of SS paints is due to the pigment that gives them their color. SS white is very hard, while SS black is very soft. Clearcoat hardnesses vary as well.

Mobilejay
11-14-2006, 04:47 PM
man thank god i posted this cause if i saw paint on the pad i would have dropped everything and ran LOL!

BigJimZ28
11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
That`s an incorrect generalization. The hardness of SS paints is due to the pigment that gives them their color. SS white is very hard, while SS black is very soft. Clearcoat hardnesses vary as well.

ok that fair and you are corect they all vary

but .. all of the cars that I have owned and/or detailed

that were ss were softer than most cc I have detailed

the other pc
11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
... The hardness of SS paints is due to the pigment that gives them their color. SS white is very hard, while SS black is very soft. ...If we’re going to pick on over-generalizations there’s another one. Pigments may affect overall hardness but the resin matrix is still the primary factor. Black single-stage catalyzed urethane is harder than white single-stage lacquer.

PC.

imported_DennisH
11-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a red SS street rod and after polishing all my pads I used are know red. I tried to clean them up in white bucket and now the inside of the bucket is stained red and even the rubber boots on my Cyclo are now red. Plan for a really big mess to clean up afterwards and don`t use your best pads nor I won`t clean them in kitchen sink....

Here is a pic of the red SS streetrod....

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/DSC00962.JPG

White95Max
11-14-2006, 08:42 PM
If we’re going to pick on over-generalizations there’s another one. Pigments may affect overall hardness but the resin matrix is still the primary factor. Black single-stage catalyzed urethane is harder than white single-stage lacquer.

Fair enough. :dance

Mobilejay
11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/DSC00962.JPG

Jesus that looks gorgeous. what did you use?

imported_DennisH
11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
In that picture I used IP FP RMG and PS but on red I have found a combination I like better. I still use FP and IP but then RMG and Trade Secrets but the IP FP RMG and PS is still my favorite on black. Here is one the only pictures I have after redoing with RMG/TS, I originally left out the RMG when I first tried TS but found I like the look better with the RMG.

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/DSC00992.JPG

The black car was done with IP FP POR85RD RMG PS CM.:2thumbs:

a_ahmed
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
More info on that red paint? What is it exactly? In detail?