PDA

View Full Version : new paint (repaired), Meg`s #9 safe?

ncsu602
11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I just got my truck back from the body shop. The paint was cracking on the horizontal surfaces and luckily (no clue how I pulled this off) the dealership agreed to paint it for free since it was a factory defect! It`s a 2001 Sonoma, black, and isn`t under warranty! Anyhow.....I`ve been searching on here and found that Meg`s #5 is about the best thing to use. They didn`t do that bad of a job, but it`s definitely more swirled than it was when I brought it there. Atleast it`s not cracking any more.:lol

My question is: What would be best to use? I`ve got Meg`s #9 v2.0 at home and I can get Meg`s #5 locally. Is it worth the trip just to get #5, or would I be ok with #9? Thanks!

DM101
11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
No 9 would be fine. I would let the paint dry a couple of weeks before application. IMHO

the other pc
11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Either #5 or #9 can be used immediately on fresh paint. There’s no need to wait.

If you’re trying to remove swirls you’ll want to use #9 which has very fine cutting ability. #5 is a pure polish with no cutting ability. If you need to remove swirls you probably don’t want to wait either. The paint will get harder as time goes on so it will be more difficult to remove defects.

PC.

Accumulator
11-13-2006, 12:07 PM
The #9 won`t leave as much of the trade secret oils/"glaze stuff" behind and IMO it won`t offer the sort of (admitedly minimal) protection that the #3/#5/#7/381/deep Crystal #2 will. I`d get the #5; just put some on the MPV`s repainted bits yesterday, *man* is that stuff user-friendly!

Dan
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Slightly OT, have you had this truck all its life? What did you use for paint protection? I`ve always thought that good paint care can make up for somewhat crappy OEM paint (hello GM!).

ncsu602
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I bought the truck in April of `02, it had 10k on it and I was your typical non-autopian zaino guy till I found this website. I think it had 8 coats on it at one point. I`d wash it once a week, but it sits outside all the time. It`s been cracking for two years and I didn`t think I could get it fixed. From what I`ve read, it`s fairly common on black and red. After a little research I found that best case senario, the dealership might pay half. I got lucky since they repaired my tailgate under warranty. They didn`t ask any questions when I showed it to them. They didn`t hack it up too bad when they buffed it and the paint is very slick. They painted from the pin stripe up and it almost doesn`t match since it`s got fairly heavy orange peel below the stripe. Overall, I`m very happy! Yay, no more Turtle Wax Color Cure:chuckle:

I`m selling the truck and want it looking good before it leaves which is why I`m curious about polishing it. I know I can`t do much for a few months, but it might not be around then. I may put some #9 on it and then put #5. I`ll play around with it over thanksgiving and see what I think works best.