PDA

View Full Version : engine degreaser to remove wax?

idwib
11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi guys.

I was just searching informations about engine detailing.

I`ve found some interesting feature about the engine degreaser..

A article I found claims that engine degreaser removes built up protection (wax,sealant)

so whenever you overspray your degreaser -> reapply protection.

So can this engine degreaser be used to remove wax?

or it harms the surface?

thank you. and happy detailing~

mikebai1990
11-12-2006, 08:31 PM
NO!! (I`m not trying to be harsh, just making my point :)) Do not use engine degreaser on your paint. It will most likely be so strong that your paint will be damaged. If you want to get rid of the wax on your paint, try using polish or clay. It will do the job much better. The polish is designed to remove wax and prep the paint for the successive layers of wax. Happy detailing to you too :)

GearHead_1
11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Of course you could use it but chances are you`ll be removing more than wax. :D

Don`t do it.

BigJimZ28
11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
WOW.... is this a joke

a lot of people here will not even use dawn on there paint

lemans23
11-13-2006, 07:18 AM
WOW.... is this a joke

a lot of people here will not even use dawn on there paint

There`s no reason to chastise him for it, it`s an honest question. It`s not as though people popped outta their mother`s *** and knew how to use Vanilla Moose.

imported_Yal
11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I think you could use it on plastic panels, the non-painted ones like on the older Elements or Outback.

Accumulator
11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
All "engine degreasers" aren`t the same. One of my favorites is P21S TAW- it *does* degrease engines quite well and it`s OK on paint. I also use a good bit of Hi-Temp`s citrus-based engine degreaser and it`s OK on paint too (note that there are lots of painted metal panels-inner fenders, etc. in engine compartments). There are some really potent/potentially harmful degreasers on the market that are, IMO, similar to brake-parts cleaner, but it`s not like they`re all like that ;)