PDA

View Full Version : Brasso for Conv. Plastic Window

billscamaros
11-12-2006, 04:09 PM
i was reading a thread on autopia the other day and it mentioned using Brasso to clean a convertible top rear plastic window. i replaced my `69 camaro top about 15 years ago, and over time the rear window has become discolored and opaque. i`ve tried several cleaners over the years, but none have worked.

i`ll probably replace this top this coming spring, so i figured that i had nothing to lose and only something to learn. i started with Brasso on a terry cloth towel, and not too much arm pressure. it pulled only a little dirt off, so i tried again with more pressure. half a can of Brasso and much elbow grease later, i had pretty well cleared this old window up!!!! i have to say that i doubted that this would work, but it did.

the window was so far gone that i don`t know that i can totally clear it up, but i`m about 50% of the way there now. i had also expected alot of scratches in the plastic, but none so far. there are some worn spots in this top, so i`ll replace it anyhow. i`ll continue to work on it with the Brasso just to see how clear i can get it.

i`m always amazed at what i learn on this site. like most, i`ve always worked hard to keep my cars looking good. now i`m working smarter to keep them nice.

thanks

bill