PDA

View Full Version : swirl marks

glenn22
11-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I have a 2007 Mazda CX-7, it`s about 1 month old. Since it`s black, every flaw shows up in the paint. After several washings there are definite swirl marks visible in direct light (sun, spot light, etc). I am wondering what I can do to at least reduce these short of using a rotary polisher. I have a 2600 random orbital polisher/waxer and have tried meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner, polish, and scratchx, followed by nxt tech wax.... when shining my spot light on the section I used the products on, I can`t really tell much difference as compared to the section that was untreated...... Any suggestions for a total noob?

ZaneO
11-11-2006, 11:07 PM
First off, it sounds like you need to modify your washing/drying techniques and/or supplies. Through careful maintenance, one can greatly reduce the possibility of marring. Sheepskin mitts, boar`s hair brushes, two buckets, foam guns, leaf blowers, quality microfibers, etc. are all good thing to look into.

Since you already have some marring, you`ll need a good (abrasive) paint polish or two to deal with the issues. There are a plethora of good options depending on your method of application, preference of purchasing, etc.

glenn22
11-11-2006, 11:12 PM
First off, it sounds like you need to modify your washing/drying techniques and/or supplies. Through careful maintenance, one can greatly reduce the possibility of marring. Sheepskin mitts, boar`s hair brushes, two buckets, foam guns, leaf blowers, quality microfibers, etc. are all good thing to look into.

Since you already have some marring, you`ll need a good (abrasive) paint polish or two to deal with the issues. There are a plethora of good options depending on your method of application, preference of purchasing, etc.

Well that`s the strange thing... I thought I was doing a good job of washing. I used only clean microfiber sponges with 2 buckets and lots of suds. I rinse often and wash from top to bottom..... I don`t really know how it got this bad so fast.

Anyways, the problem is there regardless... what`s a good polish to use with my 2600rpm random orbital polisher? is the meguiars deep crystal polish able to do anything for me? or should I try out something like zaino z-5?

ZaneO
11-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Honestly, your orbital won`t offer too much help over you hand (other than you won`t be so tired).

The specific products you`ve mentioned aren`t really abrasive. You should be able to find products like Meguiar`s ScratchX, 3M, Mother`s Power Polish, etc. locally, if that`s what you`re restricted to.

glenn22
11-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Honestly, your orbital won`t offer too much help over you hand (other than you won`t be so tired).

The specific products you`ve mentioned aren`t really abrasive. You should be able to find products like Meguiar`s ScratchX, 3M, Mother`s Power Polish, etc. locally, if that`s what you`re restricted to.

Ok thanks for your help, yeah I didn`t think the orbital really would be an advantage over hand, but I find I get a more even coat and of course, less tired. It`s pretty frustrating having to deal with swirls this early on with my car.

dheath
11-12-2006, 01:23 AM
or as a quick fix, Meguiars NXT tech wax paste works well to hide the swirls. Temporary fix, but also cheap. If you truely want to rid yourself of them, a PC would be something to look into (but you will be looking at about 200 bucks for a complete kit).

Envious Eric
11-12-2006, 03:34 AM
with black, just start using a glaze with a lot of fillers in it every month if you want to keep the swirls to a minimum....or spend 3 hours to just wash your car every time...i dont know about you, but my time is worth more to me than washing my car for 3 hours once a week when it takes 3 hours to polish the marring out once every 3 months....

FXDWG3
11-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Double check your washing procedure just to make sure that you aren`t making the swirling worse. There are many resources online - including this forum - regarding how to properly wash your car.

If you want to get rid of the existing marks, best bet is to buy yourself a PC. It`s near idiot proof, and with Menzerna IP, ZPC, or others (& the right pad) your swirl marks could be gone in an afternoon.

A simple wash, done properly, needn`t take 3 hours.

BigJimZ28
11-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Well that`s the strange thing... I thought I was doing a good job of washing. I used only clean microfiber sponges with 2 buckets and lots of suds. I rinse often and wash from top to bottom..... I don`t really know how it got this bad so fast.

this could be part of the problem..some people think that microfiber

is not good for washing because it does not let the dirt out easy

(the same reason they are good for drying and picking up dirt)

walmart has some Sheepskin mitts that are good

what soap are you using?

how much pressure do you use to wash?

I would review the autopia guide to detailing just to see if you are missing something:)

good luck!

glenn22
11-12-2006, 12:18 PM
this could be part of the problem..some people think that microfiber

is not good for washing because it does not let the dirt out easy

(the same reason they are good for drying and picking up dirt)

walmart has some Sheepskin mitts that are good

what soap are you using?

how much pressure do you use to wash?

I would review the autopia guide to detailing just to see if you are missing something:)

good luck!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions... looks like I should invest in a good PC to combat these stubborn swirls.

BigJim, I am currently using Meguiars gold class car wash and I only use a very light pressure when washing (like barely more than the weight of the micro sponge) I will definitely check out the guide on site tho. Thanks.

Ghaleon0721
11-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Glenn,

I am having the exact same problem with my Black Infinity G35. I`m willing to bet that your problems came with the car and are not likely to be from your washing routine. I tried to polish the marks out with my Craftsman buffer but it didn`t really help.

I`ve decided to invest in a PC, but not until the spring. Winter is going to do a number of my car, and I don`t want to overpolish so I`lm just going to hide the problem with glaze and NXT monthly until it`s safe to polish.

Accumulator
11-12-2006, 03:35 PM
with black, just start using a glaze with a lot of fillers in it every month if you want to keep the swirls to a minimum....or spend 3 hours to just wash your car every time...i dont know about you, but my time is worth more to me than washing my car for 3 hours once a week when it takes 3 hours to polish the marring out once every 3 months....

Heh heh, I genuinely got a smile out of the above as I`m one of those people who take hours to wash and I`m also always griping about now life`s too short to spend it all on detailing :D

Washing without significant marring can go fairly fast once you get it down, especially if you do the initial passes with a foamgun/BHB combo. I do the beater-Blazer much faster than my good vehicles but it doesn`t get marred up (but OK, the crazy washing regimen thing is sorta my bag and I`ve done it a lot).

glen22- Check out some of my (innumerable :o ) posts on washing..you really can do it better than you`re doing now and it won`t take all day (I just did the minivan and the parts that show didn`t take as long as the undercarriage/etc. stuff that doesn`t show).

Unless Mazda has changed their clear, yours isn`t all that different from mine (again, the minivan, a MPV). If you can still find the old 3M PI-III RC 05933 and MG 05937 you can correct it, even if you work by hand (it`ll just take a while, so do a panel at a time after each wash). Look in the yellow pages for an autobody/paint supply store, most every town has one. See if they still have the two PI-III products; they`re discontinued but I still see them sitting on the shelves.

The idea of using stuff like NXT until spring makes sense. That`ll spare you having to redo it after the ravages of winter and you can study up on stuff in the meantime.

For winter washing, I`d sure recommend a foamgun/BHB approach ;)