PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo comparo Pin XMT vs Optimum

outrag1
11-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Hello,

I figured I would provide some updates on some tests I have done. I have a white 05 Tahoe Z71. White, I`m finding is a difficult color in the sense that you cannot see many defects until night time under the street lamps. So I`ve done my truck in pieces with different machines over the last few months. Today I hit 3 panels with my cyclo and green pads using OHC and OP and Pin XMT Carn Glaze and Colonite 845.....

Well, in the end, when night time came around, as I expected, there were many swirls. To try and reduce the swirls I saw, I figured I`d do a test. I ended up taping off two sections of the panels I just finished, one for Pin XMT and one for Optimum.

Both sections used the same pads on the cyclo, just one half on one and one half on the other. Here are the products used:

Cyclo orange pad - XMT 3 one side and OHC the other (2 very slow passes)

Cyclo orange pad - XMT 2 one side and OC the other (1 very slow pass)

Cyclo green pad - XMT 1 one side and OP the other (1 very slow pass)

At this point, my results are that both strips look better than the surrounding panels I worked on earlier today. However, comparing the two strips, the Optimum side definitely had the edge. It looks much improved, not 100 %, but not bad at all.

So in summary, given the same machine and same pads, the Optimum line may produce slightly better results over XMT. I think the XMT line is fine and probably would have worked great if I set the right base with my rotary and used cutting and polishing pads on the cyclo.

Thanks for tuning in on the neverending search for the right combo!!!!

Scottwax
11-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Interesting comparison, first one I have seen between these two product lines. I have only used Optimum so I can`t compare. Nice to know it appears I picked right. :)

imported_Bence
11-12-2006, 10:05 AM
...and after an IPA wipedown...

XMT fills, Optimum doesn`t.

fdizzle
11-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Optimum IS the ruler of worlds . . . hehehe

AngieD
11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes I`m completely happy with my recent Optimum purchase. I used Poorboys SSR`s before and there is no comparison in my opinion. It seems like the OPtimum works so much better and I love how there is no mess.

imported_Surfer
11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Love Optimum Compound and Polish, long working times and no dusting. Even OC will finish downlike a nice polish even when used witha cutting pad.

SVR
11-13-2006, 05:19 AM
...and after an IPA wipedown...

XMT fills, Optimum doesn`t.

Does this apply to all XMT products or just the carnauba glaze

I have #2 fine swirl remover and really like it. Nothing mind blowing but some really good stuff

States on the bottle that it`s a pure polish with no fillers

OHC with an orange pad followed with OC and OP would annihilate the swirls. Like using sfx 1 with a sonus das orange or swirlbuster and then SFX 2. WIPEOUT.

imported_Bence
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I think a was misleaded by the mentioning of the Carnauba Glaze. The polishes are not supposed to fill.

Yes Optimum will remove everything.

Mikeyc
11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I`ve been using the XMT polishes with my PC for a while now and I have had no problems. They`re very good polishes IMO. Very easy to remove and good working time. Plus, they smell GREAT.

I do have one issue with your test though. I`m not sure why you`re matching XMT #3 against Optimum Hyper Compound. Before I bought the XMT line I chatted with the guys at Autogeek and it was indicated to me that XMT #3 has a similar "cut level" to Poorboy`s SSR2.5 which I equate with Menzerna IP and Optimum Compound.

There`s no doubt in my mind that people get somewhat confused by the XMT naming system. The fact that there`s 3 cut levels makes people want to match it up as you did.

Anyway, I haven`t tried the Optimum yet but I have used Poorboy`s and Menzerna. The XMT was definitely better to work with than the Poorboy`s. XMT #1 was not quite as nice as Menzerna FP2, but I did feel it was a draw between XMT #3 and Menzerna IP.