PDA

View Full Version : Bought a PC, but no clue on pad kits

Pages : [1] 2 3

krouchchocolate
11-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I just recently bought the PC 7424 yesterday, but I have no clue on what pads to buy. Also does anybody have any good links that can be really helpful for a noob!

a.k.a. Patrick
11-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Depends entirely on your specific needs. Dont buy what you dont need. Kits are great if your using what you bought. Other then that, they can be uneconomical. Suit your pocketbook with your needs first.

krouchchocolate
11-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Well my budget is 50-75 bucks. I have the 2007 camry, so the paint is stiill good.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I would see a need for nothing more then a backing plate, light polishing pad, and finishing pad. probably run ya about $40.00 or so.....

Envious Eric
11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
get a 6" backing plate

an orange pad - compound

a blue pad - polish

and a green pad - wax/sealant

from Welcome to Excel! (http://www.exceldetail.com)

if you dont have polishes, then get the optimum compound and the polish, and find a sealant or a carnauba of your liking....

krouchchocolate
11-11-2006, 04:07 PM
get a 6" backing plate

an orange pad - compound

a blue pad - polish

and a green pad - wax/sealant

from Welcome to Excel! (http://www.exceldetail.com)

if you dont have polishes, then get the optimum compound and the polish, and find a sealant or a carnauba of your liking....

I was just thinking about getting this kit.

The Edge 2000 8 inch Rotary Polishing Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-rotary-kit.html)

Is this a bad idea?

LeadingEdgeDetail
11-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I was just thinking about getting this kit.

The Edge 2000 8 inch Rotary Polishing Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-rotary-kit.html)

Is this a bad idea?

Considering that is a ROTARY kit, and you have a Random-Orbital polisher, it would not be optimal, no.

For the PorterCable, you need:

3.5" Backing Plate

4" Orange Cutting pad (Agressive Polish)

4" White Polishing Pad (Light Polish)

5" or 6" Backing Plate

6.5" Orange Cutting Pad (Agressive Polish)

6.5" White Polishing Pad (Light Polish)

6.5" Black/Red/Blue Finishing Pad (Wax and light polishes)

With all of that, you will have everything you need to tackle basically any polishing job.

If you can`t afford all of it right away, get the 6.5" ones first, then get the 4" pads :goodjob

krouchchocolate
11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Considering that is a ROTARY kit, and you have a Random-Orbital polisher, it would not be optimal, no.

For the PorterCable, you need:

3.5" Backing Plate

4" Orange Cutting pad (Agressive Polish)

4" White Polishing Pad (Light Polish)

5" or 6" Backing Plate

6.5" Orange Cutting Pad (Agressive Polish)

6.5" White Polishing Pad (Light Polish)

6.5" Black/Red/Blue Finishing Pad (Wax and light polishes)

With all of that, you will have everything you need to tackle basically any polishing job.

If you can`t afford all of it right away, get the 6.5" ones first, then get the 4" pads :goodjob

what`s the difference between the 4" vs the 6.5"

LeadingEdgeDetail
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Size!

LOL!

4" pads concentrate the force and polishing to a smaller area, allowing polishes to work faster and more effectively.

Although, it does take a lot longer to do a car, but the extra time is worth it!

I find that compounding with a 4" pad, spending 3-4 hours for the car, and following with a polish on a 6.5" pad provides consistently superior results to 6.5" pads alone :)

krouchchocolate
11-11-2006, 05:13 PM
For now i can use the 6.5" pads right. What is a good site to buy these pads from?

krouchchocolate
11-12-2006, 01:27 AM
anyone?????

Sergei
11-12-2006, 03:12 AM
I am in the same boat. I just bought my PC 7424 from coast tools for $109. Before doing anything I bought the DVD on using the PC, Mike Phillips. It was heavily slanted towards the meguiar line. I wanted to completely understand the use of the machine before locking into a brand for pads. It`s very confusing with all the choices out there. Well... after studying this for quite a long time... I chose the Sonus line. I corresponded with Lynn at Sonus and for now I am going with the SFX kit that contains the SFX-1, SFX-2 and SF-3 pads, the backing plate and MF bonnet. Also I am planning to get the 4" spot pads. But going with LC, Edge, Meg, etc. it does seem you can`t go wrong. You have to start somewhere...

krouchchocolate
11-12-2006, 03:27 AM
what do you guys think about the pads that is made by Lake county or something like that

krouchchocolate
11-12-2006, 03:31 AM
I am in the same boat. I just bought my PC 7424 from coast tools for $109. Before doing anything I bought the DVD on using the PC, Mike Phillips. It was heavily slanted towards the meguiar line. I wanted to completely understand the use of the machine before locking into a brand for pads. It`s very confusing with all the choices out there. Well... after studying this for quite a long time... I chose the Sonus line. I corresponded with Lynn at Sonus and for now I am going with the SFX kit that contains the SFX-1, SFX-2 and SF-3 pads, the backing plate and MF bonnet. Also I am planning to get the 4" spot pads. But going with LC, Edge, Meg, etc. it does seem you can`t go wrong. You have to start somewhere...

Care to provide a link to these pads?

Envious Eric
11-12-2006, 03:31 AM
lake country is good....did you even look at the link I posted???

get optimum and excel erasure pads and you will have excelent results