PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vehicle Storage Outdoors

Heikes
11-10-2006, 07:00 PM
I have a friend who is turning his `06 Ram into a weekend only car. The truck will be stored outside. The paint is in great shape for the standard person, but because he watched me with my car, and listens to me spout off a bunch of crap I learn from you guys, he is going to have me bring it up to Autopian standards. We are looking at options for car covers, and since I`ve read many suggestions about brands to look at, I think I can make a decent decision on that. My first question is, is there a waterproof car cover? If so, does he want one? It seems that whatever moisture got underneath the cover from dew and evaporation would get stuck under it and harm the finish, correct me if I`m wrong. We live in SoCal, and I`m sorry but we don`t really get bad weather here so I don`t need a "stormproof" cover. Is there any cover that will absolutely not harm the finish? Should I just tell him to leave it uncovered and just wash/wax it often to protect it from the elements? I`ve seen good car covers before leave dirty lines where the fabric was touching the car, so it seems that you would be just as good leaving it uncovered. Is the cover there only to protect it from sap, droppings, and nuclear fallout? Please give us any suggestions.

Grimm
11-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I can`t remember the name but there is a cover that he can buy that is actually a huge bag that you drive into and seal it up to keep out moisture. They are supposed to be pretty good, but I don`t know how finish friendly they are. May want a good soft cover over the car as well to protect the paint.

Edit: did a quick search and found one: What`s a "Carbag?" (http://www.carvaluesplus.com/carbag_concept.htm)

slippy
11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
This appears to be a `copy` of the original concept introduced by J.F. Stanley & co called the Permabag.I have my late fathers car stored in one at the moment,and have done so for many years during the winter,so i can testify that it does work.

However,it is designed primarily for indoor storage,although J. F.Stanley do offer a version for outdoor use.The carbag you describe seems to be best suited for indoor use only.

Grimm
11-11-2006, 08:13 AM
A permabag, that`s it! I`ve never used one but I`ve heard from several people that it works well.