PDA

View Full Version : How-to Properly Wax Your Car

Bobby G
11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
When you purchased your most recent car, chances are the first impression you had came from the paint finish. It`s what you stared at for nearly an hour, and it`s what you admire still today. The manufacturer created a window sticker with an impressive list of features, but all of those features took a back seat to that initial look. We buy with our eyes. This explains why the majority of the cost involved in building a new car factory goes into the paint finish system.

Car makers know your first impression of the paint finish is key to making the sale. The color, vividness and quality of the paint finish matters most. Automotive paint history dates back a full century. Although man has been coating metal, wood and stone for several thousand years, motor vehicle specific coatings were not invented until a few years after Henry Ford founded the Ford Motor Company. These early automotive coatings were varnish products carried over from the horse and buggy industry. Today`s paint systems, mostly waterborne, multi-stage, clearcoat systems, are better than ever. The new paint systems offer extraordinary colors, vivid depth and clarity, extremely high gloss, and new levels of durability.` Still, even with the improvements, new car finishes must be waxed and` properly maintained.

<h3>DO NEW CAR FINISHES REALLY NEED CAR WAX?</h3> The improvements in clearcoat paint technology have started a distressing trend at new car dealerships. Many new car dealers are telling their clients that the paint on their new car is maintenance-free and does not require car wax. This could not be further from the truth. While the improved paint technology has created a longer lasting finish, the finish does oxidize and it is not impervious to environmental conditions. It still requires regular care, including car wax.

New car dealers who don`t preach maintenance-free paintwork seem to go the route of a life-time or 5-year paint sealant upgrade. While not as harmful as suggesting new paint is maintenance-free, a true life-time sealant product is not available. The technology simply does not exist. Think about it. How can a car wax product with a coating thickness less than one millionth of an inch protect your car for a lifetime, let alone for more than a few months?` It simply can`t.` What you`re really buying with a paint sealant upgrade is a maintenance contract.` Please read the fine print before you buy the package.

There are distressing signs that the message from new car makers and dealers is having an impact on retail car care product sales.` I have recently noticed a trend with large retailers, starting with Target and K-Mart, that has them pushing car wax products from mid-store to the rear and reducing the shelf space.

<h3>SPECIAL PAINT HYPE</h3> There have been some reports that European car paint systems are significantly different and require different care. According to my research, there is little difference. Any notion that the paint on European cars has better color, vibrancy or richness is a matter of personal preference.

There are a few high-end car manufacturers, namely Mercedes-Benz, experimenting with ceramic paint systems.` Ceramic paint systems are still too new to provide any concrete feedback.

DuPont and PPG manufacture more than 80% of all automotive paint used worldwide. A third player, BASF, manufactures paint for many of the European car manufactures and a few car models in the United States. It is well known that both PPG and DuPont have responded to complaints that their clearcoats were easily scratched. As a result, the new clearcoat systems from PPG and DuPont are slightly harder than the BASF system, but the difference is not significant.

Paints from different manufacturers do not favor one wax coating over another. The notion that a wax is produced specifically for a make and model of car, such as an Acura NSX or a BMW Z3, is ridiculous. Car owners should beware of any company or person marketing such products. There is no factual basis for a special wax blend based on the car brand or model.

<h3>CLEAR COAT PROTECTION</h3> Clearcoat finishes are not particular about the car wax you use, as long as you`re not using an overly abrasive cleaner-wax. Many cleaner waxes available were designed for conventional finishes that require more "scrubbing" action to remove heavy oxidation and stains. Only in rare circumstances will a heavy abrasive be required to properly treat a clearcoat finish. If you`re going to use a cleaner-wax on your clearcoat, be sure it`s a clearcoat safe product, like Klasse All-In-One, which uses "soft cleaners" that lightly clean and polish.

In most climate conditions, I recommend waxing a minimum of twice a year. Waxing any less frequently than this and your paint will suffer premature deterioration from oxidation. If you use a pure car wax (a car wax with no cleaners) product, you cannot over-wax your car. If you use a clearcoat safe cleaner-wax, wax no more than four times a year.` If you insist on a natural paste wax product, a pure car wax like P21S is an excellent choice, but you will need to apply the product every 60 days to maintain adequate protection.` If you want the very best protection possible with minimal effort, look no further than Ultima Paint Guard Plus.` This crystal-clear paint sealant wipes on and dries clear, but more importantly, it is truly durable in all climate and environmental conditions.

<h3>CAR WAX TECHNOLOGY</h3> It was European coach builders that first applied coatings of animal fats and wax to protect the custom paint on their horse-drawn carriages.` This tradition has endured over 100 years and is still a great way to protect the paint on modern-day coaches.

Today, the multilayered finish on your car, from the primer through the top clearcoat, is only .004 to .006 of an inch thick.` Regardless of how fine the finish is now, it will deteriorate and dull.` Radiant and ultraviolet energy, acid rain, salt, atmospheric pollution, insect fluids and bird droppings wage a constant war on your car`s finish.` Waxing provides an easily renewable, transparent barrier between the finish and a hostile environment.

Waxing also makes your car, new or old, look better.` Many quality car waxes combine enriching oils that "wet" the surface with protective formulas of Brazilian carnauba or modern polymers for a high-gloss shine.` This brings us to the subject of selecting a wax.` Waxes can be made from a natural wax, usually Brazilian carnauba, or synthetically made of polymers and acrylic resins.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/Carerra%20GT.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">Car waxes and paint sealants make the surface of a car reflect more light.` As a result, the car looks vibrant.` When I saw this Porsche Carrera GT, it was hard to tell which reflected more, the water or the paint.` It looked alive.` Carnauba-based car waxes add an element of depth and warmth to a car.` Paint sealants (synthetic car wax) create`brilliance and sparkle.</td></tr></table><h3>Carnauba Car Wax</h3> Carnauba comes from the fronds of the "tree of life" (Copernicia cerifera) native to Brazil.` It is nature`s hardest, purest and most transparent wax.` Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional.

Many enthusiasts and show car owners prefer the shine of carnauba waxes, especially on black, red and other dark colors.` Carnauba car waxes bead water nicely, absorb the acid content in rain, and hide minor swirls in the paint.`` My personal favorite is, a true show car wax.

On the minus side, carnauba waxes are not as durable as synthetic waxes.` Depending on your climate, a carnauba wax might last between 30 and 60 days.` Additionally, some carnauba waxes can be temperamental, occasionally streaking under certain temperature or humidity conditions.

With the limitations of carnauba wax, you might be asking why it continues to have a loyal following.` In my own case, I continue to use P21S Carnauba Wax to pamper my show car because I like the way it looks.` On my toy, durability is secondary.

<h3>Synthetic Car Wax Creams & Liquids</h3> Made from modern polymers or acrylic resins, synthetic waxes offer excellent durability and ease of application.` Quality synthetic waxes have been known to last 6 to 9 months or longer, and typically wipe on and off very easily.` Synthetic waxes create a very bright shine and rarely cloud or streak on the paint.

On the down side, many enthusiasts feel synthetic waxes lack depth and richness.` Black cars can look a little sterile or silvery in the direct sunlight.` And, the mirror-like polymers can collect minor swirls and actually highlight paint flaws.

<h3>Clear Nanotechnology Polymer Coatings</h3> In 2007 a brand new type of automotive surface protection was created, the "wipe-on, walk-away" clear sealant (by Ultima Finish Care, Optimum Polymer Technologies and Zaino Bros.).` These clear sealants are nanotechnology polymer coatings that are highly resistant to detergents, acids and hard minerals, like calcium.` Don`t let the nanotechnology jargon confuse you.` The polymer simply creates a full molecular blanket of protection by using molecules, that are much smaller than water or acid molecules.` When applied, the polymer molecules bind together to form what looks like a chain link fence of protection.

<h3>IS CARNAUBA CAR WAX A DINOSAUR?</h3>I grew up washing and waxing the cars with Dad using a can of Turtle Wax brand paste wax. Back then, everyone knew that Carnauba paste wax was what you used on your car to protect it. When I got my first car in 1976, I continued the tradition of cleaning and protecting the paint with paste wax. At the time, synthetic waxes (sealants) were not common on retail shelves or they were seen as Snake Oil products. I`m not really sure what caused the paste wax phenomenon. If you look back at the history of two car care giants, Turtle Wax and Meguiar`s, both companies started by making liquid polishes.

The original Turtle Wax product, called Plastone, was a synthetic protective paint polish invented by Ben Hirsch, the founder of Turtle Wax Inc. Ben changed the product name to Super Hard Shell and the business name to Turtle Wax in the 1950`s to convey the idea of a hard, protective shell. In the 1960`s the paint polish products (what we now think of as a liquid cleaner/wax) were pushed to the side by paste wax products containing pure Carnauba wax.

Interestingly, many (if not most) of the liquid car polishes also contained Carnauba wax, but it was rarely used in marketing the product. As if by magic, Carnauba wax suddenly became the wonder component of the car wax industry. In reality, Carnauba wax is a minor component in most paste and liquid car waxes due to the cost of the wax in its purified form. Paste wax marketing from the mid-1960`s through the 1980`s gave car owners the impression that Carnauba paste car wax was the only way to truly protect your car with a durable barrier.` Car owners throughout the Western world began this love-hate ritual dance on their weekends by paste waxing their family car and the hotrod. Holding that can and swirling the applicator around became part of the feel-good nuance of Carnauba paste wax.

In 2005 I wrote an article titled "Is Carnauba Wax Dead?".` At the time I mused that carnauba paste wax days were over.` Was I ever wrong!` My assumption was that EPA regulations and the recent developments in synthetic paint sealants would overshadow past waxes.` This is true everywhere except car enthusiast circles, where it seems spending quality time with your automobile still reins supreme.` Since then, several new brands of enthusiast wax have appeared, including Blackfire (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Blackfire+wax), Dodo Juice (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Dodo+Juice+wax), Wolfgang (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Wolfgang+wax), and Chemical Guys (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Chemical+Guys+paste+wax), challenging the old guard (Pinnacle (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Pinnacle+paste+wax), Zymol (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Zymol+wax) and P21S (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=P21S+wax)).

Carnauba paste waxes are not the only products making a comeback. Premium liquid car waxes containing Carnauba and other natural waxes are being blended with the benefit of amino-functional fluids (the active ingredient in most paint sealants), offering the best qualities of both a natural wax and a paint sealant.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/HD-POXYHAND-BDL-MED.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">HD POXY Nano-Polymer Sealant Wax (http://hdcarcare.com/hd-poxy-nano-polymer-auto-sealant-car-wax.html) is a new generation of car wax product that uses nano-technology to blend natural waxes, including Carnauba, with amino-functional silicones (paint sealant) to produce a car wax with the best characteristics of a natural wax (the look) and a paint sealant (the durability and superior protection).</td></tr></table>

<h3>Carnauba Car Wax</h3>Carnauba comes from the fronds of the "tree of life" (Copernicia cerifera) native to Brazil.` It is nature`s hardest, purest and most transparent wax.` Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional.

<h3>The Perfect Shine</h3>Back in 1999, I wrote an article called The Perfect Shine, which outlined how I prepped and finished the paintwork on my cars for a show car shine. I had developed the procedure over a number of years experimenting with various polishes and waxes. The basic procedure involves cleaning, polishing, sealing and waxing. The final step of applying a topcoat of show car wax has become quite a phenomenon in car enthusiast circles.

Since I first wrote The Perfect Shine, I have watched the word spread and the enthusiasm grow to the point that national car care brands, like Mothers, have embraced the idea with new products. While I`d like to boast that it was my novel idea, my good friend Jim was quick to point out that Autoglym had the idea some 26 or so years ago when they created a product called Super Resin Polish and its topcoat sister Extra Gloss Protection.

I`m now forced to re-think my own ritual. If all of my favorite Carnauba show car waxes have been relegated to the back row, what has changed? I pondered this question while filling a 45 gallon trash can with dozens of old wax tins and jars. My neighbor Charlie looks on like I`m some kind of wacko wax junkie sorting my stash.

<h3>I Can See Clearly Now</h3>When I first started using Carnauba paste waxes, my cars had a traditional, single-stage paint (no clearcoat or metallic). My favorite colors were attract-a-cop red and you-must-be-speeding yellow. I hand polished the paint on my bright sports cars to a mirror-like finish, but the paint lacked depth until I added a coat or two of a quality Carnauba show car wax. Premium Carnauba waxes, what I like to call "show car wax", are blended with oils that wet the paint and keep it looking wet until the wax evaporates or washes away.

I always remember standing back admiring my work after the final coat. My Guards Red Porsche, in particular, just glowed and radiated energy. The Carnauba wax gave the paint an almost liquid look that could not be matched. It`s funny, though, how your memory plays tricks on you.` Not long ago I buffed out and waxed a buddy`s 1987 Guards Red Porsche 911. I love the color and, after working out a few surfaces scratches, the paint buffed out to its original quality.

My friend wanted to finish off with a coat of wax from his $160 jar of Zymol Concours (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/product/Zymol-Concours-Glaze-Wax.html) that he saved for special occasions. The final result was a huge improvement, however, I could not help but notice how the older 911`s finish paled next to my new vehicle. The clearcoat finish on new vehicles creates the depth and high-gloss shine that I once labored to achieve.` New car finishes no longer require the heavy coating of wax, with its oils and dense molecules, to create the illusion of depth.` This is the job of the clear coat.

<h3>The Mystery of Carnauba Show Car Waxes</h3> Getting back to what I wrote in The Perfect Shine, it`s no small coincidence that using a Carnauba show car wax as a last step product creates results. Most of these waxes are loaded with oils and silicone polymers that create incredible gloss. The gloss comes at a cost, however, as these wax finishes are not durable. Car enthusiasts who use these soft waxes do so at the expense of time and money. In normal use, high gloss Carnauba show car wax finishes rarely last more than a couple of weeks. The wax is too soft and simply burns off from exposure to sun and wind.

Unless you are preparing your car for show, your time and money are better spent applying a high-gloss, durable synthetic wax (sealant) that can be applied in multiple layers for improved gloss and durability. For show cars and extreme detailers, a Carnauba show car wax on traditional black and red finishes will continue to be the winning ticket until someone figures out how to build the same jetting (wet finish look) qualities into a synthetic wax.

<h3>APPLYING WAXES AND SEALANTS</h3>With the advent of the wipe-on, walk-away clear sealants, trying to describe proper application in one easy how-to became impossible.`

For all wax and sealant products, follow these basic instructions:

<ul> Work in a shaded area out of direct sunlight. Use the applicator recommended or provided by the manufacture.` If the manufacturer does not make a recommendation, use a foam applicator pad to apply your wax. Some products may allow you to coat the entire car before buffing off, but most do not. Follow the wax manufacturer`s instructions on whether or not to allow the wax to dry (haze) before buffing. Use a small amount of wax at a time, and rub it in well.` If you use too much wax, you`re wasting the product and your time. If the wax residue does not buff off easily, switch to a clean wipe towel. Apply your wax in a back-and-forth motion, not in circles.` If you are creating swirls, you need to replace your applicator or towels. [/list] After waxing, your car`s paint should feel slick and smooth, and be free of streaks and smudges.

What do you do if, after all this work, you still have streaks and areas that don`t want to buff out perfectly?` There are several tricks, but the easiest is to park your car in the sun for 10 to 15 minutes.` Let it get warm, but not hot, and then take it back inside the garage.` Next, use your favorite detail spray a fresh buffing towel to wipe down the affected areas.` The warmth of the sun softens the wax, allowing it to buff out to a clear, high gloss.` If you`re using an enthusiast sealant system, use the quick detailer made for the system.

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 border=0 bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><TD width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/prewax8.jpg</TD></tr><TR><TD width="100%" valign="top">If your wax streaks, use a detailing spray and a clean buffing towel.` This will typically fix the problem.</TD></TR><TABLE class=tablebc id=AutoNumber3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 border=0 bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><TD width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/prewax9.jpg</TD></tr><TR><TD width="100%" valign="top">After waxing, use horsehair detailing brushes to remove polish and wax residue from all cracks and crevices.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE class=tablebc id=AutoNumber3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 border=0 bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><TD width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/prewax10.jpg</TD></tr></TABLE><TABLE class=tablebc id=AutoNumber3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 border=0 bgcolor="#CCCCCC" width="100%"><tr><TD width="100%" valign="top" align="center">

http://www.autopia.org/ebook/wax3.jpg</TD></tr><TR><TD width="100%" valign="top">After waxing, your final paint finish should be smooth, glossy and wet looking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<h3>Show Car Wax Tricks</h3>Detailers who prepare show cars will often layer a carnauba wax on top of a synthetic wax (paint sealant).` The synthetic wax acts as a gloss layer, while the carnauba wax adds depth and a wet-looking appearance.` One combination that works well is an initial coating of Klasse All-In-One (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/search.php?q=Klasse+All-In-One) followed by one or more coats of your favorite pure Carnauba wax.` When layering products for show, apply and buff the first coat of wax as you would normally, and allow it to cure for 12 to 24 hours before applying a second coat.` Note that the first coat of wax must have time to cure.` If the wax does not cure (harden), the second coat will not improve your car`s appearance or protection.` With properly applied coats of wax, you will see a noticeable improvement in depth, richness of color and gloss.

<h3>CAR WAX SUMMARY</h3>Regular waxing is necessary to protect your car`s paint from the elements.` In addition to sealing and protecting, waxes and sealants also improve the appearance of freshly washed and polished paint.` If you use the right products, you can successfully layer waxes and sealants to make your paint look deeper and almost liquid.

Lorayne88
06-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Are you doing all this by hand?

-

celebrity dress up games (http://celebritydressupgames.net)

David Fermani
06-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Are you doing all this by hand?

You can apply most, if not all liquid protectants by either hand or machine. I would suggesting using a pad with the highest PPI (pores per inch) as it will greatly extend depositing your products onto the surface.

jballon
07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow very informational!!

charles35
08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
One in all package... well done!

hazer396
10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
awesome info, my Dad had purchased a `12 Buick Enclave (Diamond White Tri-Coat) and the finish is super duper rough! i think i will go for the clay and syn. wax!

Accumulator
10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
awesome info, my Dad had purchased a `12 Buick Enclave (Diamond White Tri-Coat) and the finish is super duper rough! i think i will go for the clay and syn. wax!

I`d decontaminate it with AutoInt/ValuGard`s "ABC", especially since it`s white. Clay only does so much...

BrianFord
12-17-2012, 12:34 AM
<h3>DO NEW CAR FINISHES REALLY NEED CAR WAX?</h3> The improvements in clearcoat paint technology have started a distressing trend at new car dealerships. Many new car dealers are telling their clients that the paint on their new car is maintenance-free and does not require car wax. This could not be further from the truth. While the improved paint technology has created a longer lasting finish, the finish does oxidize and it is not impervious to environmental conditions. It still requires regular care, including car wax.

Have you heard of opti-coat? It is a ceramic based clear coat that bonds to your cars normal clear coat and is 2 microns thick, a coat of car wax is usually 0.1 - 0.2 microns. It is backed by a lifetime guarantee (so long as the car is professionally cleaned {Hand wash and dry. Surface inspection. Paint decontamination if required.} once a year by a detailer who is registered with opti-coat.{Only available on new cars registered with opti-coat within 12 months of purchase}Or a 5 year waranty on all other cars.) If the opti coat fails then they will pay to have your car re-painted. It is meant to be almost completely acid proof, meaning bird droppings, tree sap, bugs and acid rain have no effect on your car. Just wash it and they are gone, no permanent damage to the coating.

David Fermani
12-17-2012, 12:39 AM
If the opti coat fails then they will pay to have your car re-painted.

You might want to check into that. That`s not totally or close to being accurate.

BrianFord
12-18-2012, 01:50 AM
You might want to check into that. That`s not totally or close to being accurate.

My local dealer here in Australia does. Customcarcarewagga.com.au . They will repair(for paint this means sanding back and re-spraying) up to a total cost of $1500 if it fails within the waranty period as long as you take care of your car according to their maintenance plan.

This is from Paint Protection | About Opti-Coat Ceramic Clear Coating (http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/product/13/about_opti-coat_paint_protection.html) .

Zen Automotive Suppliers Pty Ltd warrant to the owner of the nominated vehicle that if the Optimum Clear Coating is unsatisfactory in its performance of protecting the vehicles factory paintwork from oxidation, or damage from bird droppings, bug splatter, tree sap or UV damage, whilst being maintained in accordance with the terms and conditions of this warranty, Zen Automotive Suppliers Pty Ltd or its agents will at no cost to the owner repair or clean, and re-*treat the affected area.

In Aus we have very good waranty policies, it is one of the reasons why everything costs more over here lol, but as long as you have an actual case then 99/100 you can be successful in a waranty claim here. The consumer, trader and tenancy tribunal here is great, so long as you have evidence that support your claims then you will more than likely win.

Opti-coat was tested by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). One of the great things about buying something in Australia is, if it makes a claim, it has to be able to do what it says. If it can`t then you get your money back. The CSIRO did a test on opti-coat the findings are here http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/XC3166CoatingTesting.pdf

David Fermani
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Brian - the comment that you made about Optimum or any of their installers in respect to refinishing a vehicle under warranty is not accurate. And you`re last reply doesn`t support this either.

For clarification.....Refinishing of a panel is only covered when the paint that has been coated has failed. Not when the coating itself fails. Big difference.

Most (if not all) aftermarket paint protection warranties cover this aspect as well.