PDA

View Full Version : Autopia Guide to Detailing: Over Polishing Paint

Pages : [1] 2

Bobby G
11-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I have been reading a lot of threads on the Autopia forum (http://autopia.org) lately that basically start with people asking "what polish should I use?" I couldn’t help but think, how do I best avoid using an abrasive polish all together?

While the two previous chapters hail polishing as a cure to many paint problems, I think it`s also necessary to have a devils advocate discussion about paint polishing. So, here it is!

What I strive to achieve is the highest level of paint perfection without altering the structure of the paint. Once I get there, I want to use the proper tools and techniques to keep my paint looking perfect.

When I have a paint problem, I want to be able to fix it without removing excessive clearcoat that I need to maintain a deep-looking finish. I’m a huge advocate of spot treatment. I rarely take an abrasive polishing compound to an entire body panel, or worse, the whole car. It simply isn’t necessary.

I have the distinct feeling from reading many Autopia threads that people are buying step 1-2-3 products and using all of them because that`s what they feel is necessary to achieve "the best results". In no way is this use of paint polish an appropriate way to care for paint.

RULE #1: Do No Damage

My experience shows me that 95% of all paint issues can be resolved with a very fine polish, the right tools and the right technique. So, why is it that so many people are willing to reach for a harsh compound as the first step... when it should be the

Member fotodad writes:

“You make many excellent points! I tend to get all caught up in having the "best" most glossy finish I can have, but I never thought about actually doing more harm than good. I truly believe (after reading your post) that detailing can reach a point of diminishing returns once we get involved in all these assorted polishes and paint preparation products. Certainly no one would dispute the need to keep an automobile`s finish clean of dirt and general debris via weekly or even daily cleaning. But is it really necessary or even smart to polish and wax or just wax more than once every two months?

Often times neighbors will walk past my house while I`m detailing and they`ll jokingly say, "You`re going to rub the paint right off the car!" I laugh, call them a few choice names under my breath and continue polishing. But maybe they`ve got a point!â€

Your neighbors are correct, fotodad, you are going to polish the paint off your car. I know, as I have done it!

There is a class of paint polish that can be used to maintain gloss without abrasives that thin your paint. These polishes are most commonly called pre-wax cleaners. The polishing (gloss enhancing) action is a combination of chemical cleaners that remove embedded dirt and very fine polishes that maintain gloss. The polishing “abrasive†is about the consistency of talcum powder. My two favorite products are Sonus Paintwork Cleanser and P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. There are many others.

RULE 2: Don`t Remove The Clearcoat!

We all talk about gloss, depth and clarity, but are you stopping to think about what you might be doing to each of these final finish characteristics each time you take an abrasive polish to your paint? You might be seeing more gloss, but it`s coming at the expense of depth and maybe even paint finish clarity.

Most professional polishes are designed to be used with a rotary buffer, by an experienced technician. When you use these polishes by hand or dual-action (DA) polisher, you put scratches in your paint finish that will not come out by using the next polish up in the line.

Member Accumulator writes:

“Glad you mentioned the lack of depth that can result from excessive polishing. You really can see the way a thin clearcoat lacks depth. My `95 Caprice is a good example of that; you can tell that the previous owner tried a little too hard to ’polish it up’. Now I can either live with how it looks or repaint, but I can`t do much more polishing. I don`t need a paint thickness gauge to tell me there isn`t a normal amount of clearcoat on it.â€

There’s no doubt that the clearcoat on the modern car finish creates the beauty of the finish. To retain the good looks, the clearcoat must remain clean and finely polished. Heavy polishing will reduce finish clarity and depth.

Member Tasty writes:

“I posted a question about this exact topic when I came to the forums on one of my early visits. I raised the issue of how much polishing and abrasive use can be done before you are actually just wearing the paint thin. I also read the study that one guy did about abrasives on paint over on the Meguiar`s forum. He tried several products on a hood panel, and after each use measured with a paint thickness gauge. It became clear that you REALLY have to get aggressive to remove any significant amount of clear or paint, but nonetheless the points in this thread are good. After time all the less aggressive products effects become cumulative, and may start to do more harm than good.â€

It should be noted that a proper paint finish (primer, color and clearcoat) is only 6-8 thousandths (6/1000) of an inch thick. If your car has a quality clearcoat, it will be about half of that total paint thickness. Removing 1-2 thousandths of and inch of clearcoat happens in a matter of seconds with an abrasive polish.

My business partner got a 3-inch long scratch in the clearcoat of his new Lexus SC. I used a spot pad and a corrective polish to pull most of the scratch out so it would pass the 5 foot test. He said "...but I can still see a trace of the scratch close-up..." I explained that if I removed more material we risked thinning the clearcoat and creating a patch of paint that no longer matches the rest of the finish.

Sometimes, enough is enough. The skill is learning how to read the paint and knowing what the final result will be when you use a product.

RULE 3: Know Your Products!

Are you using a polish designed to be used on an automotive assembly line by a technician with a 4-inch spot pad on a pneumatic polisher to remove 2400 grit sanding marks? If so, what are the equivalent pad specs, rotation speed and polish time to remove your 5000 grit equivalent swirl marks?

Are you using a refinisher’s panel blending compound originally designed to cut and blend fresh paint using a wool pad as a general purpose cutting compound? If so, can your foam cutting pad effectively generate enough heat on your DA to break down the abrasives to prevent paint scouring?

The fact is, very few abrasive polish systems were designed from the ground up to be a DA polishing system. Very few others have bothered to correctly match "general purpose" polishes with polishing pads and proper instructions to create a system.

Member Accumulator writes:

“As for the abrasive products, I generally find myself using (and recommending) those that can be used by hand/PC/rotary. Nothing that requires any real specialize technique or equipment. You might not get the best results without a rotary, but you won`t do any real damage either. I sort of cringe reading recommendations to use rotary-only products by hand or PC.â€

Again, I reiterate buyer beware. All abrasive polishes have abrasive particles with different characteristics. Abrasives have different size, shape and hardness. Some abrasive particles are designed to break down into smaller, finer abrasives as the polish is applied. Others are designed to cut continuously at the same rate.

Paint Care Without Abrasives

Most new car finishes can be properly maintained without using abrasive (corrective) polishes. Doing so requires smart paint care, including regular washing and waxing, use of proper wash and wax tools (wash mitts, applicators, towels, etc.) and cautious parking. Finish damage avoidance is the best way to maintain a perfect finish. Nothing will swirl a paint finish faster than a bad wash mitt or drying towels.

If you park away from soccer moms and shopping carts, and wash your car using proper tools, you can keep the finish free of light surface damage for a long time. When your paint does get marred, the problem can be locally treated by hand or with a spot pad with a corrective polish.

Member Jinba ittai writes:

“I`ve always thought that it`s preferable to get rid of or lessen a scratch by filling it rather than taking actual paint off. That`s always the way I`ve always operated. IMO [in my opinion] the more paint on the car, the better. I was taught to start with the least abrasive product and work your way up.

Maybe it`s because I`m a wuss when it comes to using a buffer on the paint. I still do it all by hand. I have to admit that I am impressed by the pictures I`ve seen here of cars that are too far gone for a simple hand polish that have cleaned up nicely with a polisher.â€

This is a great approach. Many wax products can be layered to help cover minor surface marring. My favorite combination is Klasse All-In-One followed by P21S Carnauba Wax. Others swear by the Zaino polish system.

Member laefd writes:

“I`m often reminded of that old saying, "moderation in all thingsâ€â€ The trick is to learn to live with the minor imperfections and reach a happy medium where you take care of the issues that lead to the problem - proper wash, protection, etc. If you have a problem that needs immediate attention then take care of it, if you have issues (swirling, etc.) take care of the swirls when it crosses your individual threshold for tolerance. Just make sure you set your standard at a point that you`re not obsessed.â€

I could not agree more with laefd’s comments. Moderation is the key.

I offer the following advice for proper long-term paint finish on new and like-new cars:

Wash weekly (as possible) using a quality car wash, wash mitt and drying towels.

Deep clean paint twice a year with detailing clay.

Polish paint 3-4 times a year with a pre-wax, non-abrasive polish.

Seal paint 3-4 times a year with a quality paint sealant.

These five simple steps will keep your paint looking great without the need to use heavy polishes for corrective action.

SUMMARY

Polishing is a solution to a variety of paint surface problems. Use polish wisely to maintain paint condition and to resolve surface damage problems. Avoid over polishing with harsh, abrasive polishes.

imported_paintxpert
05-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Well said Dave B. I always use compound as a LAST resort. Like I said I use mostly mild cleaners, unless there is major correction involved. Compound never goes near my antiques. It is just NOT necessary. Like I always say if it aint broke don`t fix it. Many detailers I guess just want to impress themselves???? Why a three step process on finishes that dont need much? I see it all day long. I walked in on a guy compounding a black BMW @ a dealer. I shook my head and asked the salesman? Does this guy have a clue? He said the car had mild wheel marks. I replied....now it has mild wheel marks and compromised clearcoat. Glad Iit wasn`t my car.

Tony1
05-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe this will hit home with the guys that think they have an endless supply of clear coat and think PC`s cant harm paint.

Mindflux
05-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Maybe this will hit home with the guys that think they have an endless supply of clear coat and think PC`s cant harm paint.

It`s a good point, but it`s also a 4 year old post that got bumped. :rofl

Tony1
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
It`s a good point, but it`s also a 4 year old post that got bumped. :rofl

I`m fully aware of how old it is and it`s even more relevant than it was.

Accumulator
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I`m fully aware of how old it is and it`s even more relevant than it was.

Yeah, what with products like M105 making it so easy/tempting to cut away a lot of clear.

I can`t help but think that people are failing to view this stuff long-term.

Noting wrong *IMO* with serious, aggressive correction (if the paint can take it), but it should be a *VERY* infrequent thing. Correct it once, then just keep it nice; always gets back to not marring the paint in the first place.

longdx
05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I am glad this was bumped. My wife`s "new" car ia a 2008 Honda CR-V. While Honda is known to be a quality car company they do skimp on paint. I have elected to use the minimally invasive process to maintain the paint. Right now as it stands, it has minimal light swirls (from the previous owner). I will probably use a glaze like PB`s Black Hole to fill in and then lock it with a decent LSP.

04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
This is a great thread. I just bought a PC XP 7424 to detail my own cars. I have an `04 Sienna with a lot of mileage on it and plenty of wear and tear.

I followed the general line of thinking here. Washed, clayed, compounded with an orange LCS pad, polished with M205 a very light cutting LCS, and waxed with a fine finishing LCS and wax. It really worked wonders though it didn`t remove everything. From a foot away in the right angles, you can still some of the scratches. It was significantly better and went from embarrassing too attractive. So much so that I scheduled an appt next week with a reputable PDR guy.

I wondered if I needed to be more aggressive to get 100% of the scratches out. After reading this thread, I feel comfortable with what I did and maintaining it that way. I was conservative and it came out really well.

When I went to do my hood on my `01 Z3, I used only polish with a light cutting and finishing pad and then wax. I wasn`t sure it`d be enough to get out the swirls (it took out some) but I didn`t want to cut it if I didn`t have to. I`ll go back after them in the fall, the finish was certainly improved after claying and then 2 passes with the pads as described. While I may have to go more aggressive, when it comes to my cars, I`ll continue with this strategy `till I get them just right.

BluBrett
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
My Acura had totally matte paint a couple years ago. Reflections looked like this all around:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/blubrett/83eaca07.jpg

Now it looks like this:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/blubrett/99bd1769.jpg

But at a VERY hefty price. The horizontal panels had already been reprinted years and years ago, but the roof was failing again pre-polishing. Two years later, I have 7 spots failing on my roof coated to 1 before, and now I have several quarter sized spots failing on my hood. The trunk has ZERO depth and is turning matte again even after being protected with Autoglym SRP, BFWD, etc., and it`s going to cost $800 for the good and trunk, and $800 if I do the roof. The rest of the car still looks minty (original vs. repaint) but it lacks what I will refer to as "healthy DD orangepeel."

Accumulator
04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
BluBrett- Those prices for the painting sound awfully reasonable, assuming the shop does good work.

usdm
04-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Correct it once, then just keep it nice; always gets back to not marring the paint in the first place.

And there in lies part of the problem.

Very few folks seem to understand or care that preventive maintenance is the key to keeping the paint looking good for longer periods of time. And personally, at thsi stage of my progression in this hobby, I no longer really feel the desire or need to get "it" totally right- becuase I know in a few months time, after the car owner does exactly what I advise him/ her NOT to do, it will come back to me looking like it got hit by a bunch of SOS pads.

Everyday, in every way, I appreciate glaze more and more..........yes, I really do :P

Accumulator
04-21-2012, 01:12 PM
USDM- NO argument here! What I do on *my* vehicles and what I think most people oughta do on most vehicles are two completely different things for exactly that reason.

usdm
04-22-2012, 12:51 PM
USDM- NO argument here! What I do on *my* vehicles and what I think most people oughta do on most vehicles are two completely different things for exactly that reason.

Hey, dont get me wrong, there is always a place and time for the correction work (including abrasive one-steps), when I know the person asking for it is going to do the dilligence. For all others, its glaze for the win. Will never beat proper polishing, but its easier, cheaper, faster, and best of all, repeatable over a longer period of time.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f117/81061d1299296321-3m-pink-fill-n-glaze-gallon-a3mdsc00024.jpg

I know someone somewhere probably thought I was being a wiseguy when I posted this up in a previous thread, but I was very serious. Folks can scoff all they want about doing things "proper", but there really does come a time when one has to decide if doing "proper" is worth it. Sadly, its often not- especially if its being done, over and over, and over on the same car.

Accumulator
04-22-2012, 02:00 PM
usdm- Hey, I remember that 3M "pink glaze" from back in the day! Gee, we`re dating ourselves here, huh? :chuckle:

I`ve been seeing a *LOT* of vehicles in my area with cc failure on the horizontal surfaces, especially their hoods. You can clearly see how the failure follows some twit`s buffer pattern. Gee, bet it looked really nice for a few weeks :rolleyes:

When people here say they`re doing M105-type correction annually (let alone more often!) I think to myself that it`s just a repaint waiting to happen.

SVR
04-23-2012, 04:24 AM
I stopped using a compound then a swirl remover and a finishing polish and have never looked back

since

my motto is - make the polishes softer and use all ten pad materials we have today to good effect

M101, M105, M85 and many other brands of polishes and compounds - combine them with a surbuf

rayon, microfibre, velvet, denim or any other pad and thats a lethal weapon.

instead go with the one polish thats much softer and use the same pads - no swirls or buff marks and

less paint removed by a long shot.