PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Shine

Bobby G
11-10-2006, 04:08 PM
People often ask me how I make and keep my cars looking so picture-perfect.` "What wax do you use?" is the question that comes up most often.` Unfortunately, it`s not quite that simple.` If you want the perfect shine, you have to do a little work, and you have to work to keep it maintained.` If your car`s paint is relatively new and in excellent condition, getting the perfect shine will be far less work than with a car that`s five or more years old with heavy oxidation.

The process I`m about to explain came from years of experimenting with dozens of polish and wax combinations to discover what products produced the best results.` As it happens, I stumbled on this process quite by accident.` I had applied a carnauba wax over a synthetic sealant on my Guards Red Porsche 944 Turbo.` When I pulled the car out of the garage into the bright sunlight, I could not believe my eyes.` The finish was noticeably deeper, richer and more vibrant.` The paint had taken on a new depth, like it had a clearcoat finish.

After a few years of trying my process on the cars of family and friends, I concluded that it works on all car finishes that are in good condition, but has the most dramatic effect on dark colors.` With the ability to achieve consistent results, I decided I would give the process a name, The Perfect Shine.``This chapter outlines The Perfect Shine Process.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine1.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">

All of the pictures in this chapter were provided by Chis Hays, who documented the process on a friend`s Honda S2000.</td></tr></table>

<h3>SIX PERFECT SHINE REQUIREMENTS</h3> The perfect shine comes when your car`s paint finish is in good condition, free of surface contamination, polished, glazed, protected and waxed.` Let`s look at each of these requirements individually.

<h3>Good Paint Condition</h3> For the first 12 to 18 months of a new car`s life, the paint is relatively oxidation-free and in good condition.` If you maintain your new car`s paint with regular washing and protection, oxidation will remain minimal, and cleaning the paint will be a minor task.` At a minimum, you should wash your car weekly.<O:P>` If you don`t have time to wash weekly, use my Quick Detailing process.

<h3>Contamination-free</h3> As you drive your car, debris from the road (i.e., tar, oil, bugs, etc.) will lodge itself on your car`s paint.` The longer this debris is allowed to remain, the more difficult it is to remove.` This is just one reason that regular washing is so important.` While outside, your car will also collect other contamination.` (Birds, bugs and neighborhood kids seem to have a natural attraction to beautiful cars.)` These contaminants must be removed; you can`t wax over them and expect to get a show car finish.

<h3>Polished</h3> Polishing is necessary to remove minor blemishes, including surface scratches, swirl marks, pitted areas (minor road stone nicks) and scuffs.` When polished, the paint finish will feel perfectly smooth.` Your hand and polishing towel will literally glide over the surface.` Feeling a perfectly polished car is a stimulating experience for most car nuts.` There`s nothing quite like the polished fenders of a curvaceous Porsche, Ferrari, Viper or Corvette.

<h3>Glazed</h3> Glaze is a term that`s grossly misused in detailing products.` Glazes are paint treatments used to fill small surface scratches and swirl marks.` To a painter, glaze is the term used to describe the process of restoring full paint gloss.` In The Perfect Shine, ultra-fine polishes are used to refine the paint finish to achieve or restore full gloss.

<h3>Protected</h3> Paint is protected when it`s sealed from the elements.` As we`ve discussed in previous chapters, synthetic sealants offer the best protection.` Synthetic coatings are five to ten times more durable than the carnauba waxes.` They offer extended protection from the elements and create a super-slick surface.` In The Perfect Shine process, the synthetic protection is an acrylic sealant.` I have not found a polymer sealant that works.` I will explain why later.

<h3>Waxed</h3> Waxing is the final step of The Perfect Shine.` We`re not talking just any wax here; we`re talking about a pure, natural carnauba wax.` Pure carnauba waxes don`t have cleaning properties or synthetic compounds added.` They are made from a blend of carnauba waxes, beeswax and natural oils.` A quality show car wax gives paint depth and warmth.` I know, I know, it sounds like we`re talking about a fine wine or something.` Just don`t underestimate the value of a great show car wax when it comes to the final results of your car`s finish.

Now that you know the six requirements for The Perfect Shineâ„¢, I`ll share with you my personal tips that keep my cars turning heads.` The first thing to know is that I treat my toys differently than my daily driver.` It`s very difficult to maintain a perfect shine on a daily driver, unless you only drive it a mile or two a day.` Show cars (toys) are easier, because their job is to stay beautiful.

<h3>THE PERFECT SHINE</h3> The Perfect Shine is a simple process that reliably achieves the best shine possible on any paint finish.` Follow these steps and product recommendations:

Step 1: Wash & Dry
Wash your car twice with a high concentration of car wash solution.` I recommend a gloss shampoo.` If your car is excessively dirty, you can use Dawn dish-washing liquid.` If you do, be sure to rinse thoroughly.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine2.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"> Use a quality car wash.` If your car is really dirty, like this Honda S2000, mix a strong batch of wash water.</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine3.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"> Dry the car thoroughly with a drying towel that will not scratch or swirl your car`s paint..` The next step will be to examine the paint closely.</td></tr></table>

Step 2: Detailing Clay
After washing and drying, examine your car`s paint with your hand.` If the paint is not perfectly smooth, use a paint-cleaning clay system and clay lubricant to remove the surface contamination.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"><p align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine4.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"> Use plenty of Sonus Glyde Clay Lubricant and rub the clay lightly over the paint finish.` Use a Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel to dry and buff the freshly cleaned paint.</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine5.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">

Inspect your clay frequently to check for hard particles, which should be picked out.` Re-mold the clay when it gets dirty to expose fresh clay. </td></tr></table>

Step 3: Repair Paint Damage
When the paint is clean and free of surface contamination, examine again for minor surface damage.``If you find heavy scuffs or surface scratches, repair these flaws with a fine rubbing compound or scratch remover, like Sonus SFX-1 Restore Polish.` If your paint has swirl marks and other minor micro marring, use a swirl remover polish, like Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish.` I also use swirl remover polish to remove any surface hazing created by using rubbing compound.` You can polish by hand or machine.` I prefer to work by machine, as it works faster and delivers better results.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine6.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"> ` As you can see in this photo, Chris has his work cut out for him.` The swirls, cob web effect and surface scratches are so bad that the paint finish looks dull and flat.</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine7.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">Chris is applying Sonus SFX-1 Restore to the whole car to knock down the swirls and light scratches.` This work can be done by hand (with a lot of work), but is best done with a car polisher. </td></tr></table>

Step 4: Restore Finish Clarity
Now it`s time to glaze your paint to bring out its full gloss potential.` For this I recommend a swirl-remover polish formula like Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish.` Swirl-remover polishes are designed to remove fine swirl marks, not the heavy paint damage removed in the previous step.` If your paintwork is already in perfect condition, you can skip this step.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine8.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top"> Chris polished the entire car with Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish and then followed with Sonus SFX-1 Final Finish to bring out this crystal clear finish.` The Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel buffs off the polish residue with ease and won`t put swirls back in the paint finish.</td></tr></table>

Step 5: Seal and Protect
Once perfectly polished, your paint is ready to be sealed.` For this I use a product that`s been protecting my cars since 1987, Klasse All-In-One.` The Klasse acrylic formula has proven its quality to me again and again.` Klasse All-In-One is a one-step acrylic resin that cleans, lightly polishes and protects paint with a durable acrylic finish.` The best way to apply Klasse All-In-One is with a microfiber applicator.` Klasse All-In-One contains cleaners that remove previous layers of Klasse All-In-One.` If you wish to apply additional Klasse acrylic protection, you can apply one or more coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze.` Klasse Sealant Glaze does not contain cleaners; it is a pure acrylic sealant.` Additional layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze will increase protection and finish depth.

Step 6: Make it Pop!
You`re almost there.` The final step, the literal icing on the cake, is waxing.` You may be asking, "After polishing and sealing, why wax?"` The answer lies in the richness of color, depth and clarity that only a high-quality carnauba wax can bring out on a polished surface.` For this job I reach for P21S Carnauba Wax.` P21S Carnauba Wax is a true show car wax.

Compared to other show car waxes of similar formula, for the money P21S offers the best final finish.` P21S Carnauba Wax brings out a warmth and depth on red and yellow that I have not been able to duplicate with any other wax under $70 per can.` On black and dark blue cars, the paint looks like a reflection in a pool of water.

On steps four through six, I use a quality foam applicator to apply product (except Klasse Sealant Glaze, which requires a microfiber applicator).` For final buffing of the P21S Carnauba Wax, I use a Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towel.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><tr><td width="100%" valign="top" align="center">http://guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PerfectShine9.jpg</td></tr><tr><td width="100%" valign="top">

The final Perfect Shine results on this Honda S2000 are nothing less than stunning.` Chris put in a full day of hard work, but the results speak for themselves.` This sports car is ready to show!</td></tr></table>

<h3>Maintaining Your Car`s Perfect Shine</h3> If you`ve finished the six steps to The Perfect Shine, you`ll need to do some light maintenance to keep it looking great.` If it`s a true show car (toy), keep it covered.` Even while it`s neatly tucked away in the garage, you should keep your car covered.` This keeps dust and pollutants off of the beautiful finish, and the wax won`t evaporate as quickly (yes, wax evaporates).

Next, plan to do a quick detailing on your car after each outing.` Choose a good detailing spray containing no protection or a` carnauba wax detailing spray.` A good detailing spray will restore shine.` A carnauba detailing spray will replenish the wax lost through evaporation.` Quick detailing will normally take no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

You can apply a fresh coat of P21S wax as often as you like.` I recommend reapplying wax monthly, or whenever you want your car to look its very best.

Between washes and after washing, I recommend using Sonus Acrylic Spritz or Sonus Carnauba Spritz.` Both products will restore shine and protection.` The Sonus Carnauba Spritz contains the same grade carnauba wax as P21S Carnauba Wax.` If you keep your car garaged and covered, this is a great detailing spray to maintain the concours finish.` If your car is a daily driver, use Sonus Acrylic Spritz, which contains polymer protection.

The Klasse protection will last 5 to 6 months.` Plan to repeat The Perfect Shine process two to three times a year to keep your car`s paint in perfect showroom condition.

<h3>How The Perfect Shine Works</h3> There`s no particular magic to my process; however, at least two of the ingredients are key.` Finish preparation is the most significant function of the process.` The paint finish must be refined through several grades of polish.` This is how jewelry makers create gems of radiant beauty. The key ingredients are Klasse All-In-One and Pinnacle P21S Carnauba Wax.` The reason these two products work together, where others do not, is actually pretty simple.` Klasse is an acrylic resin coating.` It`s not a petroleum- or water-based product.` It`s an acrylic.` When it dries, it dries hard.` Most synthetic sealants are polymers based on the element silicone. To my knowledge, all polymer sealants are based on an emulsion system containing petroleum distillates.` As a result, even the mildest petroleum distillates remove polymer sealants.` Zaino Show Car Polish is the only polymer sealant that I`m aware of that can be successfully layered (a new application of Zaino Show Car Polish does not remove previous applications). Likewise, carnauba waxes contain petroleum distillates.` In waxes, petroleum distillates are used to soften the carnauba, which is rock hard in its raw form, so it can be blended into a paste or cream.` The P21S Carnauba Wax formula uses a highly refined petroleum distillate, much the same as that used in the manufacture of cosmetics (i.e., lipstick wax).` The solvent content in P21S Carnauba Wax does not affect the cured Klasse sealant.` By conducting side-by-side durability tests, I have proven Klasse remains solidly intact.

<h3>PERFECT SHINE SUMMARY</h3>

If you`re a car appearance fanatic, creating "the perfect shine" is akin to

finding religion.` The technique discussed here is not the only method,

it`s simply the process I discovered that works for me and has been proven by

hundreds of other detailing fanatics.