PDA

View Full Version : Do I want suds in my car soap or not?

mikebai1990
11-10-2006, 03:55 PM
This morning, I did my first step of winter prep, 2 layers of Collinite 476, spit shined. When I was washing, I decided to use warm water, because it was cold outside, and I didn`t want my fingers freezing up again like last time...

So I put some Meguiars GC into my bucket and filled up with warm water. After I filled it up, I wasn`t sure whether I should disturb the soap to make suds or just mix the soap into the water, creating as little suds as possible. Usually, I just hit it with the cold water from my hose. As a result, I get lots of suds, but I find that my solution underneath the suds does not seem to be too slick. So this time, I gently mixed my soap (same amount as usual) into my water (same amount as usual) in hopes of creating a more slicker solution.

So I tried the solution on the van. Although there were not as many suds, the solution seemed more slicker and I think it was better than the situation in which I just blasted the water and got lots of suds.

So... do you guys mix up your soap+water gently, creating little suds, or do you mix up your soap+water vigorously, creating lots of suds? I know that suds does not equal more cleaning ability, but rather more lubricity. However, if I try to make lots of suds, my solution isn`t as slick. What do you guys think?

Bigpoppa3346
11-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I much prefer suds vs. no suds. Suds give the grit a place to be encapsulated(sp?), and lift grime away from the paint. I don`t really use the water under the suds to wash the car, but instead fill my mitt with pure suds(and a touch of water), and I get excellent lubricity and cleaning. I never get as much slickness when just using water with solution in it, plus the neighbors may think you are just washing the car with water when you don`t have much suds. Suds are a good thing, IMO. Now I know others will debate saying that ONR or QEW don`t need suds to work, but I can`t see how you could use that stuff on an even *mildly* soiled finish and not get marring. Yes I have used ONR, and I did get *much* more marring than usual.

joyriiide1113
11-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Suds are good. I don`t look for it though. When I wash I fill up my bucket half way, add the soap, then submerge the hose under water to fill up the bucket and mix in the soap wel. When Im almost done filling it up I spray the bucket form above quickly to add a few suds to the top and thats it. I find the suds last a lot longer this way than adding soap first and then jet spraying the bucket and causing suds, soapy water to erupt and overflow out of the bucket.

Edit: Mind you, dedicated QEW and ONR users have used it soo much that they have their own technique and way of washign that allows them to get less marring than the occasional user who applies the same techniques of washing with a hose to washing with QEW or ONR.

medic159
11-10-2006, 06:14 PM
In reality suds do absolutely nothing to clean the car, absolutely nothing. They are there simply because we are so engrained with the idea that soap suds do the cleaning that it is impossible to use anything else. In most all detergents the suds are made by a foaming agent, not by the cleaning agents in the detergent. In fact, industrial cleaners usually have no sudsing agents and specialized users do not want suds. Think of a hand degreaser, there are no suds yet it sure does the job!

For a while I offered a car wash that was 100% natural but it had almost no suds at all, it was a poor seller because nobody could get used it. It was a fantastic car wash but it was very disconcerting to use, it was almost like washing with plain water. I used it many times but even though I knew the suds were not needed I still couldn`t get used to it myself. To make suds I would have had to add a chemical sudsing agent or coconut oil which I didn`t want to do.

SVR
11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks joyride, I`ll try that method of yours

My preference is low to medium suds. Help the mitt glide better

It`s strange isn`t it. That you use the same tool with a low suds shampoo to wash your wheels and the muck is harder to get off but a medium to high sudser makes it easy.

If you want more slickness, add some ONR to the shampoo bucket mix or purified water

Shampoo`s that are ultra sudsy 99% of the time contain sodium, something I hate as it dries the paint out and strips soft ext trim back to grey.

Someone on here once posted - you want solution, not just suds.