PDA

View Full Version : need the best alloy wheel cleaner!

Pages : [1] 2

crazytaxi
11-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I use Performance Friction 97 brake pads and the dust is horrendous, it`s not so much dust but because they are so aggressive, the dics are almost splintered so the wheels have now turned a permanent dull colour, (from the original black laquer). I`ve tried most brands - Wonder Wheels, Muc Off, Comma etc.. but nothing cleans it off. Any suggestions ?

BobD
11-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Once you do get them clean I suggest polishing them and coating them with a wheel wax or hard wax to make cleaning them much easier.

crazytaxi
11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I`ve tried everything to get them clean. The rears I can get clean but the fronts, nothing seems to shift the dust. Thanks.:hairpull

imported_SHICKS
11-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I know Meg`s Wheel Brightner is some tough stuff, but beware it could harm your wheels. I have a gallon and mix it 4 parts water 1 part WB and it will tackle just about any nasty wheel.

Steve

I use Performance Friction 97 brake pads and the dust is horrendous, it`s not so much dust but because they are so aggressive, the dics are almost splintered so the wheels have now turned a permanent dull colour, (from the original black laquer). I`ve tried most brands - Wonder Wheels, Muc Off, Comma etc.. but nothing cleans it off. Any suggestions ?

crazytaxi
11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
I`ll try some over the weekend. Thanks

imported_SHICKS
11-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I`ll try some over the weekend. Thanks

It`s not easy to find OTC and be careful it`s very strong.

joyriiide1113
11-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Get Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G9524.jpg

Its very similar if not the same as Megs Wheel Brightner except in a more dilluted form.

Its also available OTC. I got this information forms the MeguiarsOnline forum.

Accumulator
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
And try claying while the wheel cleaner is dwelling (i.e., using the wheel cleaner as the clay lube). Yeah, it`ll dissolve the clay pretty quickly, but you`ll still get some benefits from it.

crazytaxi
11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I managed to clean up a spoke today, by rubbing down with 600 grade wet and dry and then using Zymol wax/cleaner. So maybe a polishing kit could be the answer ? I`ve tried claying before, but this didn`t work.

tom p.
11-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I`ve tried most brands - Wonder Wheels, Muc Off, Comma etc.. but nothing cleans it off.

Crazy, are you in the USA or elsewhere? I don`t recognize any of those names and hate to make recommendations on products you can`t buy.

BigAl3
11-12-2006, 11:56 AM
once you get them clean, this may be a good routine cleaner for your spoked rims...

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/Chrome_Wire_Cleaner.jpg

All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is safe for all types of metal hubcaps and steel or aluminum alloy wheels. Safe finishes include: anodized, clear coated, factory painted and chrome.

crazytaxi
11-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I`m in the UK. The problem is because the pads are so agressive, ( I use the car for sprinting and track days), the dust is almost like a rust coating of disc splinters stuck into the paint of the wheel, (if that makes sense).

justin30513
11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Step 1....

Megs Wheel Brightner 4:1. Test first. Enjoy later. Agitate with brush. Use a pressure washer if available.

Additional step...

Clay with some old clay or just use a new bar. You will be amazed.

Step 2....

Seal with DP`s Wheel Glaze. I do this once per month on several BMW`s. Dust then comes off with left over wash water and brush. You would not believe it. Look amazing and has cleaning attributes that get baked on dust off.

Guy
11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
After you get your wheels clean switch to Akebono ceramic pads! These are the best pads IMO for daily driving. Very very low dust, very quiet, and great stopping power!

crazytaxi
11-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the advice, I`ve found a stockist of Megs. wheel brightener, as this seems to be the most recommended here.