PDA

View Full Version : Selecting polish vs pad for aggressiveness

outrag1
11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Hello,

I`ve searched the forums a bit, and there are probably differing answers to this question, but "In General", what is the better way to go when moving up or down in aggressiveness:

In other words, if I`m looking to go more aggressive because the pad/polish combo is not working, is it better to start with a more aggressive pad and same polish or more aggressive polish and same pad?

When using Optimum products for example, should I move up from OP to OC or OHC if I`m currently using a white LC pad or is it better to try OP again on say an orange LC pad?

I`m obviously trying to minimize any unnecessary swirls being introduced into the paint and I wasn`t sure if there was a standard theory folks went by on here.

I have a rotary, PC and just got a Cyclo. I was trying to experiment with the cyclo pad/product combo last weekend, but I think my question is across the board for all machines.

Thanks for any input.

coupe
11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
The easiest way to answer this is by quoteing Mike Phillips.

"Never know until you try"

Accumulator
11-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Noting that you have to use a reasonably proper product/pad matchup (no point using a finishing polish with a cutting pad) to begin with, I generally would rather use a more aggressive product and a less aggressive pad. I only use the most aggressive pad I *have* to in order to get the most out of a product. So if I can do a job with a polishing pad and whatever product, that`s the way I`d go and I`ll only step up to an orange (or harsher) pad if I really have to.

Eliot Ness
11-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Opinions (and results) will vary, but I would step up to a more aggressive polish before I went to a pad with more cut than the orange (light cut/polish pad). I have very good results using an orange pad when I need something with a bit more bite than a plain polish pad, plus it doesn`t tend to marr very much, if at all, depending on paint, polish, etc.

A yellow cutting pad has a lot more bite and tends to induce more marring that will need to be polished out with a lesser pad/polish. I would rather let a more aggressive polish do the work (and break down to a lighter cut). There will be times that call for a cutting pad, but if I can do the same corrections with a lesser pad *I* think the finish usually comes out a bit more refined.

outrag1
11-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Accumulator/Eliot Ness,

Thanks and that`s pretty much the way I was leaning as well.

SVR
11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Usually I go from say menz IP with 3M black or edge green to a yellow and if that doesn`t work, then up to a 1000 to 1200 grit product with the yellow

Sometimes I go same way as ness. Just depends on car

Like the current car I`m doing. 93 Falcon XR6

Slightly faded paint, plenty of scratches and unfixable defects and after trying prima swirl with green and then edge yellow, I moved to sfx 1 with DAS orange and man it fixed the paintwork brilliantly. I kept speed down to 1100 max

Then back to swirl with 3M black polish pad and Blackfire SRC 3000 w/ edge blue.

Killer finish.

With the difference in cutting ability between an edge green and a yellow not being a huge amount, I often go to the yellow before using stronger product.