PDA

View Full Version : Settle this for me.....NXT and #21

CroMag
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Since I have them both on hand, I would like to top #21 with NXT. However, I am finding mixed responses as to whether or not this can (or should) be done. Some say that NXT has cleaners so it shouldn`t be the topper, where others say it`s fine. So settle this for me once and for all - can you top #21 with NXT?

Along those same lines - if there were compatability problems in topping one product with another, what exactly would you notice to alert you that something was wrong?

MaximusZTS
11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
From what I have learned in all praticle manner #21 IS NXT. I have heard people refer to #21 as NXT on Steriods. They are both based on the same formula. #21 has a little more of what make NXT great in it. Two coats of #21 is better than mixing the two.

tomstin
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
My understanding from over in the Meguiars forum is that M21 is a reformulation of NXT designed to work better in machine application. Commercial customers like NXT but had some trouble with it when applying by machine.

M21 does have some cleaners for proper adhesion. I think it would be a waste to top one with the other. If you want to top M21, a good carnuba looks good.

mongo
11-09-2006, 07:20 PM
True but M20 sealant topped with M21 is a good choice 20 provides brightness and 21 provides a deeper look.

jamesuh
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
The NXT has mild cleaners. You could layer it over #21 but it might decrease the effectiveness of #21 slightly. If you wanted to use #21 to its full potential, it would be better to layer a true carnuaba wax or an LSP without any cleaners in it on top. For example, #21 followed by #16 or #26. You can also just put two thin coats of #21 rather than #21 followed by NXT.

Scottwax
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I`d just use two coats of one or the other to ensure complete coverage and leave it at that.

joshtpa
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Go with NXT topped with #26....It does wonders.

mblgjr
11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I`d just use two coats of one or the other to ensure complete coverage and leave it at that.

I agree.

I know NXT has slight cleaners, I wouldn`t put it over anything.

EdLancer
11-09-2006, 09:55 PM
M21 is a water based product and is bodyshop safe.

NXT contains pertoleum distillates and is not bodyshop safe which means it contains silicone and easier to apply for the general public.

Tim Lingor
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
M21 is a water based product and is bodyshop safe.

NXT contains pertoleum distillates and is not bodyshop safe which means it contains silicone and easier to apply for the general public.

Just for information, Meg`s #21 is not body shop safe.

Tim

maesal
11-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Just for information, Meg`s #21 is not body shop safe.

Tim

Why not? :nixweiss

Tim Lingor
11-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Why not? :nixweiss

Rather than re-type the answer, I will just quote Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s"

...no true car wax is because the nature of a car wax is to coat over and protect the surface to which it is applied. In a body shop environment, products like this will do exactly the opposite of what the goal of a body shop is and that`s to perfectly prepare a surface for the application of fresh paint, this mean having the surface clean and free of any substance that would or could negatively affect surface adhesion, that it the ability of a substance, (paint), to coat over and adhere in a uniform manner to the panel it is being applied to.

Any product that is formulated to seal and protect cured paint is generally not safe for use in a body shop where fresh paint is being applied, this would include waxes or paint protectants by any name, especially if they make water bead up really well because water beading up is a sign there is an ingredient in the product that creates high surface tension.

Meguiar`s entered the Professional Auto Finishing and Refinishing industry in approximately the early 1920`s and we continue to manufacture products for these industries many of which are body shop safe.

To get a list of which of our products in our Professional Line are body shop safe and designed to help you create stunning finishes that will Wow! your customers, you need to get one of our Professional Line Catalogs.

For the most part, the products that we offer that are body shop safe and typically used by body shops are,

M85 Diamond Cut Compound

M84 Compound Power Cleaner

M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish

M82 Swirl Free Polish

M81 Hand Polish

M80 Speed Glaze

M01 Medium Cut Cleaner

M02 Fine Cut Cleaner

M03 Machine Glaze

M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner

M05 New Car Glaze

M07 Show Car Glaze

M09 Swirl Remover 2.0

M34 Final Inspection

M00 Hi Tech Wash

M62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

The only Body Shop Safe product that contains some protection is Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze. It contains a paintable polymer that can be used on curing paint.

I hope this helps!

Tim