PDA

View Full Version : Late model BMW something etched in paint. Ideas?

andyman
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Gentlemen,

I`ve got a new customer with a late model BMW (most likely 2003). I have no pictures of the damage, but am curious if I may get a few suggestions regardless.

What APPEARS to have happened is that a coke can or coffe cup was sloshed. Some of the liquid got on the side, and there is a half ring with a small pool on the roof. The feel of the imperfection leads me to believe that whatever it was has etched into the clear/paint. I can liken the feel most closely to something like 1500 grit wetsand paper. it has a VERY dense texture that "feels" to be lower than the top of the clear.

I tried some clay and then AIO with a MF pad by hand just to rule out some form of bonded contaminate. I don`t have a durometer (sp?), so I cannot gauge the thickness of clear/paint in that area.

He claimed to have some 3M PIII rubbing compound and to have attempted to correct it by hand to no avail.

I can bust out the rotary and some extreme cut with a cutting pad, but am doubtful that will do anything. I can attempt to wetsand it, but don`t want to risk what I fear to be emminant clear coat failure.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Andy

imported_themightytimmah
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Probably coke, the pH on that stuff is *really* low. Treat it the same as acid rain damage. Your choices are pretty much wetsanding or live with it, you might be able to take it out with a wool pad but if you`re going to be that aggressive you`re probably better off sanding.

See if you can get a reputable body shop to look at it, they`ll run a paint meter over it for ya and give you an honest opinion. If you can find the right shop, they can sand it, spot in more clear, and sand to blend.