PDA

View Full Version : how cold is too cold?

Pages : [1] 2

anaxagoras
11-07-2006, 06:44 AM
I decided to be `efficient` saturday and detail my new car and my old car at the same time. Full detail, clay bar and everything. Now that my arm still refuses to move even after 2 days, I never even finished because it got too cold.

I brought out the halogen lights and was detailing in the dark, problem is by the time i got to start applying the wax on my old car, it froze on contact.

FOCUS: How cold is too cold to work when detailing a car? As far as the products are concerned. I`d like to finish it up one morning before work, but being in the 40s will i have the same problem?

Dan
11-07-2006, 07:09 AM
I haven`t ever had much luck below 50 degrees with any LSP. It seems to just slide off the paint after it finally dries. I`m sure there is some bonding but since I stick with Zaino now, I just don`t bother. There is usually a 55 degree day once or twice a month even in mid winter here. For other times, its AW!

mikebai1990
11-07-2006, 07:28 AM
For the products, usually 50 degrees is about right. I haven`t really gotten do the point where my products don`t function properly, because at that point, I can`t possibly handle the temperature.

However, more important is the detailer doing the job. Last week I wanted to do a full detail (wash, clay, colorx, collinite), but I ended up only being able to wash, clay, and colorx. My fingers were frozen and I couldn`t even hold the clay or wring out my Absorber.

Now when I detail, I have no choice but to do it in the sun, because without sun, the temperature will just be way too cold. The thing is now I have to constantly spray down the car after washing to prevent water spots.

coupe
11-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Ive polished and lsp`ed with no problems well under 40F.

Wasatch
11-07-2006, 08:53 AM
I usually go till the low 40s, now.

imported_GregCavi
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I will work anything above 28F give or a take a few degrees. Its super cold on some of the products become a bit finicky but I can still achieve the desired end result.

Greg

mikebai1990
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
For those who detail in the low temperatures, how do you keep your hands warm when detailing? I wouldn`t mind wearing some extra clothing and detailing, but it`s my freezing hands that is preventing me from detailing properly. Some tips would definitely be appreciated, now that winter is coming :)

coupe
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I dont keep them warm, i just have to suffer through it.

AutoCadillac
11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Some of you guys are tough. It has to be at least 50 for me to detail my cars, and actually if it isn`t somewhat closer to 55, the car has to be pretty dirty for me to do it.

Making our cars look nice is a hobby to me, so I don`t want to ruin the fun by doing it when the conditions are unpleasant.

coupe
11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
I have washed in 25F once. My boots would freeze to the cement if i stood in one spot for more than 20 seconds.

Im comfortable around 35F.

Diesel1
11-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I have washed in 25F once. My boots would freeze to the cement if i stood in one spot for more than 20 seconds.

Im comfortable around 35F.

Same here except I turned my driveway into a skating rink! My parents weren`t too happy since the thin coating made it like black ice. Sure was funny to watch people walk up the driveway though!

Hey, Moe!
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
For washing, I`ll go for it at 35-36 degrees or warmer, if it is going to stay above freezing for an hour or two, so there`s enough time for water runoff from the driveway to keep it from turning into a skating rink.

I use hot water in my two buckets, which helps my hands.

For applying an LSP, upper forties works. I need 50 or above to drag out the PC.

All of this depends on the product being used, I imagine, and the persistence of the Autopian.

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
For those who detail in the low temperatures, how do you keep your hands warm when detailing?

You can use large size rubber dish washing gloves along with cotton gloves as inner liners. Simply put the cotton gloves on first, then slip the rubber gloves on over top of the cotton gloves. The cotton acts as a barrier between the rubber gloves and your skin. Together they will help keep your hands warm in cold weather.

lbls1
11-07-2006, 03:35 PM
You may be able to get away with polishing at 40+ degrees, but (at least for wax) anything below 50 degrees will be hard. Some waxes are better at colder temps, but in general I personally would not wax below 40-45 degrees.

Quick detail sprays are more flexible, as long as the temp is above freezing, and your hands and surface can dissolve the liquid without it turning to ice or any marring from cold hard surfaces.

mikebai1990
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
You can use large size rubber dish washing gloves along with cotton gloves as inner liners. Simply put the cotton gloves on first, then slip the rubber gloves on over top of the cotton gloves. The cotton acts as a barrier between the rubber gloves and your skin. Together they will help keep your hands warm in cold weather.

Hey, that`s a pretty good idea :) Maybe I`ll try it when I need to wash the car next week. I just don`t know how my neighbors are going to react, though :nana: