PDA

View Full Version : AW on Plastic?

Krodad
11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, I detailed my truck again last night, and followed up my ONR wash with AW.

While doing this, I decided to test a little area of plastic with the AW. Turned out great. so I went ahead and put AW on the bed rail caps. This is relatively smooth, tight plastic, and it looked really nice...I normally use 303, but just thought I`d try this out.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and am I asking for problems of any kind?

My reason for asking is for more than the bed rail caps. I would like to consider doing this on a friends Honda CRV, which has extensive black plastic on the bumpers and trim...so if it`s a bad thing to do, I want to avoid it on something so visible and important.

thesacrifice
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
I`ve always applied AW without fear of overspray as I havent found that it stains or anything. Cant see a problem with your process.

ncsu602
11-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I detailed my wife`s aunt`s truck on Saturday. 2002 Ford F150 ext cab work truck. This is a work truck, and what`s not paint is plastic. She wanted a one-step, so I put on some Long Haul and then sprayed everything but the tires with AW. I love this stuff, doesn`t streak outside glass and looks like a light coat of Armor All on plastics. I`ve used it on my personal truck too, looks great on soft tonneau covers.

Nosbusa1500
11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, I detailed my truck again last night, and followed up my ONR wash with AW.

While doing this, I decided to test a little area of plastic with the AW. Turned out great. so I went ahead and put AW on the bed rail caps. This is relatively smooth, tight plastic, and it looked really nice...I normally use 303, but just thought I`d try this out.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and am I asking for problems of any kind?

My reason for asking is for more than the bed rail caps. I would like to consider doing this on a friends Honda CRV, which has extensive black plastic on the bumpers and trim...so if it`s a bad thing to do, I want to avoid it on something so visible and important.

Fwiw. I use Aquawax on everything from paint to plastic and even the windshield and all other outside glass. This morning the rain was flying off the windshield and windows like it had a coating of rain-x or aquapel. In the last 4-5 months I`ve never had any problems using AW on any outside surface.

abbeysdad
11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
yea, looks to me like AW works just fine on (black) plastic trim, assuming it`s good and clean first.

TigerMike
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
AW can be used on nearly any hard, non-porous surface, i.e. paint, glass, chrome, metalwork, plastics, etc...and will impart a layer of protection to those surfaces.

imported_themightytimmah
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I like AW on trim, as long as it`s not faded first. AW doesn`t do much of a job bringing faded trim back, but it certianly keeps good trim looking that way. It`s a winner on glass too, I don`t find myself reaching for 20/20 anymore now that I`m an AW user.