PDA

View Full Version : How many use a garden sprayer to apply QEW/ONR?

twopu
11-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I was in Home Depot the other day and found a 2 gal. battery powered garden sprayer (with wheels) that I thought would be good for QEW/ONR winter cleaning. I`ve always used the two bucket method so I wanted to try something different. I used it on a lightly soiled car with a rinse bucket and it seemed to be pretty efficent. However, I only used about a half gallon of ONR for the entire car. Is this right or am I not using enough solution?

I may return the battery sprayer for a manual pump sprayer because it takes a little longer to saturate a panel. Also, I not sure I want to have to worry about replacing the battery. I do like the fact that it has wheels, handle, drain plug, sprays accurately, and solution cup built in.

shortspark
11-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Seems to me like that is overkill. A good pump-up sprayer that holds a couple gallons should not cost more than $20, considerably less than the one you have. It does just as good a job I assume since there is nothing to it. Just pour your solution in, give it a dozen pumps or so and wet her down. Some people presoak the enitre car, others do a panel at a time just like they would with a bucket. If the vehicle is somewhat dirty I will presoak, then use the two bucket method. If it is nothing more than dusty I can spray a panel at a time. I still like to have a rinse bucket however.

trmiv
11-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I do. I have a cheap 1 gallon sprayer that was like $11 at Lowes. Works fine.

jasonmac
11-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I use a pre-spray of QEW or ONR with distilled water in a hand sprayer, then the two-bucket method for ONR.

EdLancer
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
For winter washing, I just go by a DIY jet gun spray self wash and apply ONR with a 48oz sprayer and wipe with a waffle weave and dry.

thesacrifice
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I do. I have a cheap 1 gallon sprayer that was like $11 at Lowes. Works fine.

Me too, just as a quick pre-soak to loosen up really dirty areas.

deadlock32
11-05-2006, 09:45 PM
have a spray bottle to apply the onr to panels and then do the 2 bucket method.

first pass with mit, 2nd pass with MF, 3rd pass MF to dry.

joshtpa
11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I use the cheap 1 gallon pest control sprayer from home depot. $9.79 and it works great.

abbeysdad
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I mix ONR 1oz/1gal warm water in a 1 gal pump pressure sprayer (the kind sold for lawn & garden).

I fill a 5 gal pail with warm (rinse) water. I spray a panel at a time (top down of course), wipe with a wet (but not sopping) waffle weave towel, followed by a dry towel. I can spray extra mix and/or pre-soak areas as needed. (e.g. behind the wheels, wheels/tires and that dead air space at the rear of my SUV).

I rinse the wet towel in the rinse bucket as I move along and rotate in new towels as necessary. (e.g. wet towel goes to the laundry and the dry towel becomes the wet towel (a new towel becomes the dry towel).

I get 3 very good vehicle washes from that 1 gallon mix (and I`m not being stingy) so I`m convinced it`s the best, most efficient way to use the product.

I believe the waffle weave towel works best for this as the dirt is wiped off and most ends up in the rinse bucket.

Although either will work, I believe a wash mitt works best for a wet wash and the WW towel works better for no rinse. The wet towel just seems to wipe the dirt right off the vehicle.

n2_space
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a small sprayer for pre rinse, then a larger sprayer I use with plain distilled water for wheels and wheel wells :)

Big Kahuna
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
I use the cheap 1 gallon pest control sprayer from home depot. $9.79 and it works great.

That`s what I use. I`m glad I`m not the only one using it. My neighbors think I`m went over the edge.