PDA

View Full Version : Spray on, wipe off (or wowo) waxes - good, better, best?

Pages : [1] 2 3

abbeysdad
11-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Optimum Car Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, Eagle1....

Which is best? Any clear winner in your book?

I`m not speaking to the base LSP for long term durability, but more as the topper to provide that extra layer of protection and pop that is easily renewed after every few washes.

So what do you think?

mikebai1990
11-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I`ve heard extremely good comments about Aquawax and I`m eagerly looking around to get a bottle. Aquawax looks great, provides nice pop, gives great water beading, and gives good durability. I don`t know of the other waxes, so my knowledge is limited :)

WaxOn1234
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I just tried some Aquawax for the first time. The car was already looking great with 2 coats of z-2 pro. I sprayed the hood and wiped it off and noticed it made the car feel slicker just as with the z-6 spray. Didnt really notice any marginal improvement in shine (pop). I`m sure others can explain different results with other setups. Has a cinnamon smell to it. Curious to see how it goes on just over AIO.

Bigpoppa3346
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I`d say get the Aquawax. With extreme ease of use, low cost, and about a months durability, you can`t go wrong.

samhian
11-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Another vote for Aquawax. It`s so easy to use.

mikebai1990
11-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Do you guys know where Aquawax is sold OTC?

qadsan
11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Picking a best is pretty hard because of all the variables involved. Also, what one person prefers may not be the same as the other. For long term durability & long term slickensss, AW beats out OCW from my experiences. But when it comes to picking a product that looks the best, then for me it depends on the color of the car. On some light colored cars such as white, etc, (and even silver), I prefer the glowing wet look of Duragloss TPP & AW. On dark colors (especially dark solids), I prefer the look from multiple applications of OCW. AW & OCW both look great in my opinion, but there`s definitely a difference and some people will prefer one look over the other. After a couple applications of OCW on a dark color, I feel you get more depth from the appearance and a deeper / richer looking gloss that`s similar to what you get with a carnuuba product.

I just don`t see a clear winner for me, which is why I use both products for my own personal vehciles. On my daily drivers that I keep outside, I`ve now switched to the Duragloss products to see how they hold up through winter & spring, but I still use and prefer the look of OCW on a couple of older dark colored classics that I keep garaged most of the time. Both products are super easy to use and I really like the fact that they don`t stain the trim. I have not personally used the Eagle nanowax spray, so I don`t have anything to say about it from first hand experiences.

Brian_Brice
11-05-2006, 11:56 AM
i get 22 ounce bottles of aw for 5.50 cant beat it i dont think.

shortspark
11-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I have tried nearly every "topper" in the book and have even done some panel to panel comparisons on my Honda (billit silver). I use AIO and SGx3 as my lsp. I have found that most of the good, name brand and boutique brands do very well on my color. I will never get the "pop" or "wow" factor other colors will provide, especially if topped with a carnuba, so I stick with my SG and simply rejuvenate the durability and shine after every wash.

In no particular order the best are Menzerna HGAS, Duragloss AW (not really a wax as it is acrylic), Wolfgang Spray Sealant and Werkstatt`s AG. Each is an easy wow product and these "toppers" do a very good job with extending protection. Do not confuse them with a QD like Poorboys SW or Fast Clean and Shine because they have limited cleaning ability and should go on a spotless vehicle. If you try AW, it is better to dry the vehicle after your wash before applying although the instructions say to spray as you dry.

As far as a good combination of durability and shine is concerned (at least on billit silver), I might give the edge to HGAS but keep in mind it is expensive and hard to find. Another good shine product is 425 but it is not as durable as the others and is really more of a QD than "topper". It is good for what it is but it is not as good as SW or FCS in terms of pure cleaning. I guess I would place it in a class of its own between a dedicated QD and "topper".

Dollar for dollar, I like my SG "home brew", especially if SG is your lsp. One part SG to three parts distilled water in a mister bottle or rechargeable, reusable areosol can is the ratio I like best but others may prefer other ratios. The mister bottle and arosol can are better applicators than a spray bottle. This is a good way to use up your SG and I`ll bet it is not too far away from the formula Sonus uses in its spritz.

You will really have to experiment to determine what "topper" protects better in your conditions and which looks best on your color. Keep in mind, that most of these are nothing more than a diluted version of a manufacturer`s lsp. For example, I`m sure HGAS has some FMJ in it and AG is a "watered" version of Jett - so on and so forth. So, I think you can product experiment with several good lsp(s) and easily find your own ratio and formulas for some sort of a home brew that will do you a good job and save some cash to boot.

paul34
11-05-2006, 12:40 PM
A lot of people seem to like the AW... I`ve thrown a bottle into my latest order from Autogeek so hopefully I`ll get it in time for next week`s wash!

I`m really looking for a good topper for my NB... while NB is cool, it attracts dust and such much more so than just when I had my DP sealant on there. I`d like a nice topper to give me a final "wow" factor - for some reason I`ve been dissatisfied with the shine/depth of my paint lately...

AngieD
11-05-2006, 12:50 PM
What stores carry the Aquawax over the counter>?

qadsan
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
What stores carry the Aquawax over the counter>?

Car Quest

use the store locator at http://www.carquest.com/findStores.html

abbeysdad
11-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I just may have gone off the deep end with winter paranoia.

I have Klasse AIO/KSG x3 plus Collinite 476S x1 AND I just used DG AW for the first time the day before yesterday. My purpose is to find a Quick `n easy spray on to help get through the winter. Remains to be seen, but on a `warm` day may be able to wash and (spray) wax.

I`m trying the AW because of all the raves I`ve seen here, but still thought I`d take a straw pole of favorite spray ons.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bigpoppa3346
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
SGx3 and 476s? Those alone, untopped could last you all winter and then some.

AL-53
11-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I prefer AW for looks and slickness and durability....I used it last winter and had great results with it....I used it once a month and it was like the road grime would not stick to the surface...it is best used if you wash...then dry and apply AW was a WOWO....for the price it a great product..better than many costing triple the cost...

Al