PDA

View Full Version : Is there any wash brush equivalent to a boar`s hair brush?

mystickid
11-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I need a GOOD wash brush for my car. It seems to attract so much dirt :hairpull .

Is there any brush that`s is equivalent to a Boar`s hair brush but not made of Boar`s hair bristles. Made from different bristles but equally gentle and efficient?

AutoCadillac
11-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I use Meguiar’s Versa-Angle Ultra Plush Wash Mop. I don`t know if it is as good as a quality boar`s hair brush, but I like it a lot. The synthetic head feels soft and holds a lot of water. The telescopic handle works very well. I`ve used this for several months. The only problem I`ve had is the soft head that attaches to the base is flimsy. I put a couple of rubber bands around it to hold them together a few months ago and it has held perfectly. The replaceable mop head fits over the head I`m speaking of.

Neo62381
11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Honestly.....NO.... If you want something better than a brush, then go with a sheepskin Euro Mitt from wall-mart.

Accumulator
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
People are very happy with the Meg`s brush, but -I`m afraid of the synthetic bristles. Eventually the flaggin on *any* brush`s bristles will wear down, and I worry about the plastic bristles becoming scratch-machines (had this happen with a previously soft brush I used on wheels). When the BHBs wear down they aren`t *nearly* as bad; it pays to replace them but it`s not like they`ll destroy your paint the way plastic can.

Why not just get a BHB :nixweiss Their free-rinsing nature is really something (combined with a foamgun it`s great).

If I couldn`t get BHBs I`d stick with mitts too, but they just don`t release dirt the way a BHB does, even with the foamgun you drag more dirt across the paint than with a (properly employed) BHB.

the other pc
11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Meguiar`s Versa-Angle Body Brushes are really soft and gentle. They’re apparently going out of production so if you want to try them do it soon. If you decide you like them you’ll want to stock up (I did).

Why not go for the Boar’s hair? Not cheap, but they last forever.

PC.

racingbeat
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Brush + paint = no good

its not the quality of the brush but the fact that you`re lifting debris from the surface with very litte water/suds. A wet brush is holding less water than a soaked MF/Sheepskin.

with proper lubrication all surface dirt will slide right off the paint. Clay out and stubborn tar or bird bombs. I see no advantages to a brush on paint and lots of possible down sides.

I use ONR with MF towels, flipping the towel with each pass. Grout sponges on the rockers, wheel arches and under the bumpers.

Accumulator
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Why not go for the Boar’s hair? Not cheap, but they last forever..

Yeah, they really do (noting/repeating my warning about how the flagged bristle tips will eventually wear). One of my best BHBs is one I bought in the early-mid 1980s :eek: The wooden handle is cracked and it looks pretty worn out, but it still does a great job. Some BHBsdo suffer adhesive failure and lose their bristles, but others hold up just fine.

Speaking of adhesive issues, you gotta inspect the BHBs for contaminated bristles. I`ve had a few with hard adhesive that had spilled onto the bristles, woulda marred up the paint something awful. Doesn`t happen often, but it still pays to check.