PDA

View Full Version : QD question

kansasdn
11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Just finished my 04 BMW 525 Oriental Blue Metallic with AIO and KSGx3 topped with Collinite 845 x 2--now I`m wondering what to use as a QD--I have heard of the "home brew" for the Klasse twins 1:16 of the AIO and 1:3 for the KSG--would that work?? Open to all suggestions--Thanks

abbeysdad
11-04-2006, 03:26 PM
NO - you don`t want AIO in a topper because it has chemical cleaners.

If you had NOT waxed with Collinite you could have simply made a homebrew glanz of 3 parts distilled water to one part KSG. HOWEVER, you`ve got carnuba on top now, so if I was you I would use something like Duragloss Aquawax or some orther carnauba based spray WOWO.

BTW, I topped my AIO/KSG with Collinite 476S. How did/do you like the 845?

imported_steveo3002
11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
btw , isnt the klasse sg homebrew mix used as a top up rather than a qd as it contains no lubes

thesacrifice
11-04-2006, 04:45 PM
IMO a QD is a refresher for your wash. The only expectation I have out of my QD is to have some cleaning ability which means lubing the paint and/or encapsulating dirt so that it can be easily whiped away. If you`re wanting a booster for your LSP you`ll probably need two seperate products.

abbeysdad
11-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Since I just started using Optimum No Rinse for washing, I`ve mixed 6oz/1gal distilled water to use as a QD spray. Works really well.

sWISHbrade
11-05-2006, 10:02 AM
BTW, I topped my AIO/KSG with Collinite 476S. How did/do you like the 845?

Hi,

I just ordered some 476 and was wondering how you find the gloss and shine as compared to a quality carnauba wax like NB or #26?

Is the durability as good as it`s been touted to be?

Thanks!

mikebai1990
11-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Search around for Collinite. You`ll find lots of threads. The gloss and shine is not as good as boutique waxes, but the durability is unparalleled (5-6 months) when prepped and applied correctly. I use 476S and love it.

Accumulator
11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
kansasdn- Lots of choices, I never find 476S too finicky about what I use as a QD-style refresher. But as mentioned, since you have wax over the KSG don`t use a Klasse-mix for this.

My overall favorite these days is FK 425, and it works great over 476S. But the other "leave something behind" QDs will work fine too. Griot`s SpeedShine and ClearKote`s QuikShine are two others I like. But that FK 425 really impresses me.

But of course you could go with something like AW or OCW too...choices choices.

AngieD
11-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I like the Poorboys Spray and Gloss. Works great and doesn`t streak like Megiuars or Eagle Once. Plus it smells great!

abbeysdad
11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I just ordered some 476 and was wondering how you find the gloss and shine as compared to a quality carnauba wax like NB or #26?

Is the durability as good as it`s been touted to be?

Thanks!

I can`t speak to either gloss comparison to other waxes or durability - My LSP is Klasse acrylic and this was the first time for Collinite 476 and I haven`t tried any other waxes on this vehicle.

I have heard that collintie is very respected for durability.

kansasdn
11-06-2006, 08:53 AM
First time Ive used Collinite--heard so much about the durability--thought it would be a good chioce for the winter--quess time will tell---Thanks for all the input

spotter
11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I personally like QuikShine as a QD. I works equally well with finicky sealants or with carnaubas. It looks great (best shine of all QD`s I have used), good slickness, and is a decent cleaning QD. You have all the durability you will ever need already and QuikShine will give you that temporary extra pop you might be looking for.

kansasdn
11-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry--FK 425?? Don`t know that one and don`t see it on the Decoder Ring--Thnaks

Accumulator
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable :o

FK 425 is a QD from FINISH KARE (http://www.fk1usa.com/). Check out that link and you should find it. I`m using (up) a few different QDs (six that I can think of), applying them as LSP refreshers after the wash. This makes for some easy direct comparisons and the FK 425 is what comes out on top IMO (though Pinnacle Crystal Mist is mighty nice too). FK 425 really does impart great slickness and even a slight boost in appearance. Some people rave about its anti-static qualities and, well, OK, maybe it does help a little bit but you can`t really prove those claims by me. Still great stuff though.