PDA

View Full Version : Removing Deck/Fence Sealant Overspray from Car

imported_Totoland Mach
11-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I did my neighbor`s black 04 Mustang Covertible a couple of months ago and a week later, a contractor that was spraying a cedar deck and fence got nasty sealant all over her car.

Due to his unresponsive actions, she is now going to small claims court and wants me to remove the sealant and provide an invoice for removal and re-wax.

I tried a clay bar on a small portion of the front fender right after it happened and it took the sealant off.

My question is: Is there a another solution to sealant removal? Also, the stuff has been on the car for 2 months and might be more difficult/impossible with a clay bar. She wants me to start this weekend on the car.

Suggestions or process recommendations are welcomed.

Totoland Mach

former86camaro
11-03-2006, 08:23 AM
My suggestion is to charge accordingly. They were painting at my dad`s office on a windy day and covered all the cars in a white mist. They ended up paying 250 and up to get each one cleaned right.

Figure if clay works, 3-4 hours for the body and rims and misc areas like door jambs ect it could have floated into. that alone is 75 Bucks IMO.

A light polish/Paint Claner (New Product time like AIO) 50 bucks for this step IMO

A nice sealant like DP or Zaino (50 more bucks)

Dress wheels and ect... (25 bucks)

Just my opinion if it is that bad.

Scottwax
11-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Just a heads up, it took me 8 hours of claying and polishing to get fence sealer off a black Mercedes several years ago-and it was only a few weeks after it got the overspray on it. You might want to invest in some plastic razor blades, I have a feeling that would have helped me a lot.

imported_Totoland Mach
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Just a heads up, it took me 8 hours of claying and polishing to get fence sealer off a black Mercedes several years ago-and it was only a few weeks after it got the overspray on it. You might want to invest in some plastic razor blades, I have a feeling that would have helped me a lot.

Thanks for the info Scott. I`m pretty sure I`m going to stick with clay because I`m afraid any strong solvent to remove the sealant will be too strong for the paint.

The local Ford dealer wrote up an estimate of $1,400 because the plastic pieces have to be replaced (mirror housings, etc.) I`ll probably invoice this job for approx. $600 depending upon time taken, then the Ford dealer will write up an invoice for plastic parts replaced.

Totoland Mach

chml17l
11-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a good candidate for FK1/Autoint`s decontamination kits. You may still need to clay after using the decon steps, but I think using them prior to claying should help.

imported_Totoland Mach
11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a good candidate for FK1/Autoint`s decontamination kits. You may still need to clay after using the decon steps, but I think using them prior to claying should help.

I don`t know if that`s available at my local auto paint supply store. I might call them tomorrow to see if they have a recommendation.

Thanks for the information. Maybe I should get one to keep in inventory.

Totoland Mach