PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new toys!!!....foam gun fun!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

coupe
11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Well i havent actually used it yet.

I ordered 2 grit guards and 1 gilmour foam gun from danase.

Tracking down brass quick connects was not as easy as i thought it would be. All i could find where shut off valves and plastic quick connects. What i wanted was a quick connect with a shut off valve built into it. So i bought the brass shut-off valve and a few PLASTIC quick connects. I wasnt a happy camper. So out i went again on the hunt for a quick connect with a shut-off valve built into it. Menards, home depot and lowes have ALL put away their lawn care products for the year, GREAT. So i thought why not try Ace Hardware? BINGO

Here are the new toys:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5923.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5924.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5925.jpg

Free optimum carwash with my purchase:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5926.jpg

Foam gun with the plastic crap and brass shutoff valve:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5927.jpg

With my Ace Hardware quick connects:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5928.jpg

My favorite nozle in the whole world right here with the quick connect:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/100_5929.jpg

Im excited to use my new tools......and now its snowing.

BigAl3
11-02-2006, 08:41 PM
congrats on the new toys :woot:

Dan
11-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Drives me insane when you need something that wal-mart or some other places puts away because its seasonal. They put the crap away way too early too..

coupe
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
You would think they would at least keep out things like this. I mean people use these items inside garages and their homes during the winter.

bill57
11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
How do the grit guards work?

BlueLibby04
11-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Dude, I have that EXACT same nozzle and love the thing. Ive not used it in awhile. I need to bring it back out.. ;)

Looks like a heavy duty set-up!!

BigAl3
11-03-2006, 12:53 AM
How do the grit guards work?

got to gritguarddotcom...

coupe
11-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Dude, I have that EXACT same nozzle and love the thing. Ive not used it in awhile. I need to bring it back out.. ;)

Looks like a heavy duty set-up!!

Do you now where i can buy more?

I bought it 10 years ago and cant find it anywhere. Its unlike any other nozle ive found becuase the opening is super small. The velocity of the water when you open the valve is so strong it recoils like a hand gun. I can BLAST oil spots off my driveway with it.

All i know is it says Nelson on the side and made in the USA.

One thing i want to complain/ask about.

Why arent hose quick connects standard like air quick connects? I mean you buy a brass hose quick connect made by one company then buy another set from a different company to find out they arent interchangable.

Accumulator
11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Coupe- Oddly enough, I`ve only had *one* brass Quick Disconnect that didn`t work with my other ones, but my air hose ones are all different, not standardized at all :nixweiss

Heh heh, depending on how you use the foamgun, you won`t even *need* the GritGuard. My rinse buckets are basically dirt-free at the end of a wash as the foamgun flushes all the dirt off, it doesn`t get trapped in my wash media (especially when I use a BHB to get the worst off).

Congrats on the purchase, hope the foamgun works as well for you as it does for me.

coupe
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Coupe- Oddly enough, I`ve only had *one* brass Quick Disconnect that didn`t work with my other ones, but my air hose ones are all different, not standardized at all :nixweiss

Heh heh, depending on how you use the foamgun, you won`t even *need* the GritGuard. My rinse buckets are basically dirt-free at the end of a wash as the foamgun flushes all the dirt off, it doesn`t get trapped in my wash media (especially when I use a BHB to get the worst off).

Congrats on the purchase, hope the foamgun works as well for you as it does for me.

Thats really weird, its the other way around for me :nixweiss

I bought 2 grit guards just for a piece of mind, ya know extra reasurance. Ive perfected correcting paint, now i have to perfect keeping it that way so im not polishing twice a year.

If you dont mind accumulator, can you give me a write up on how you wash?

I read somewhere that you started a thread on how you wash but i cant find it for the life of me.

Accumulator
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
If you dont mind accumulator, can you give me a write up on how you wash?

I read somewhere that you started a thread on how you wash but i cant find it for the life of me.

OMG even I (I of the mile-long posts :o ) couldn`t repeat it here without spending forever on it :o

Check out the Hall of Fame forum and look for "Accumulator`s Non-marring Wash Technique (I need to update it again some day).

OK...here`s a *very* abbreviated version: Rinse car off (of course), presoak a panel with foamgun. Use a *good* BHB for the initial passes, and use it this way:

Get the BHB very loaded with wash solution. Barely touch it against the panels, you want to just *barely* bend the very tips of the bristles. Spray suds with the foamgun- have them hit right where the tips of the bristles touch the paint. Move the foamgun along the length of the BHB so it all gets suds (this is a little tricky- pat head/rub tummy tricky). Move the BHB just a little, you just "jiggle it" across the panel, *DO NOT* do big swiping motions!! If you get marring, you only want it to be short tiny scratches (like 1/8"), not some 4" long ones. Rinse the BHB out frequently until you`re confident that you don`t need to do it so often (the suds should rinse away the dirt as the BHB dislodges it from the paint). Rinse things (panels and wash media) often.

Follow the BHB with another pass or two using mitts. Spray the foam the same way, at the point where the mitt`s nap contacts the paint, and again, don`t move the mitt in long passes, just short, "jiggle" ones. I fill the mitts with wash solution and hold them shut at the cuff. This forces me to concentrate on how they contact the paint (very gently) and the soap seeping out provides even more lubrication and flushing.

Inspect. If any dirt sticks after the gentle washing I remove it with very gentle claying using Sonus green and lots of lube and then I rewash that area.

coupe
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the cliff notes and i will look for your thread on it.

I got another question. What is that little black piece that comes with the gun? You can see it in the first pic next to the gun.

Accumulator
11-03-2006, 02:12 PM
It`s a nonfoaming nozzle. Basically worthless IMO.

coupe
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
OIC, i see no need for that, its gonna get tossed.

I just hope i made the right decision on my quick connects and shutoff valve. Suprising how heavy it is with everything hooked up, i havent even filled the bottle yet.

Im assuming learning how to adjust everything useing the foam gun just takes practice right? I mean the dolution of soap, the slide thingy and the screw on top.

bill57
11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
imacarnut, thanks for the website address about gritguards!