PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic vs. Polymer Sealants?

Nacho_Z71
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I posted this on another board and was curious to know ya`lls thoughts as well...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a bit confused...This is my first post. I`ve been a longtime reader. Anyway, I am trying to winterize my vehicles: 2003 Tahoe Z71 (light pewter metallic), 2000 Honda Civic EX (metallic dark green), 1987 Buick Grand National (black). I`ve been using Meguiar`s products for over 10 years now. My regimen has always been: Wash - Clay - Dry - Polish (MirrorGlaze #7) and Wax (#26). If I am in a hurry, I just wash-dry-wax (#26). My vehicles always look great.

Anyway, I wanted something that would really seal in my paint and protect me this winter. My Tahoe and Honda are daily drivers. I`ve been reading alot about sealants and have heard that an Acrylic sealant will add more shine and will last way longer than a Polymer sealant. If anyone is interested, I read an article called "The Perfect Shine" off the Autopia website.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I am after the best shine and longest durability for winter. If Acrylics are in fact-better, does Meguiar`s make any???? I know the Autopia site mention Klasse brand stuff but I have never heard of them or used anything other than Meguiar`s products I buy.

Sorry for the long post. I like to get detailed - lol.

TigerMike
11-02-2006, 04:30 PM
An acrylic is merely a type of polymer sealant resin. They are not better (or worse), just different. Nor are they proven to last any longer than many other types of polymers commonly available. Yes, Klasse is probably the most often referred to when speaking of acrylics, and it is also one of the more durable products on the market (with multiple layers). That said, there are several products on the market that can go head to head with Klasse in terms of durability and protection, as well as shine.

Meguiar`s makes several polymer products and polymer blends, #21 being very popular here and likely their longest lasting polymer product. In general, polymer/carnauba blends do not exhibit durability as good as the pure polymer products. But, this varies by product manufacturer and line.

Bigpoppa3346
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
If you are considering Klasse, a better choise would be Jeffs Werkstatt. Superior wet gloss and much better slickness than Klasse. There are a *ton* of boutique sealants out there, ranging from mediocre to supurb. There is really no reason to buy an Acrylic over a Polymer, or a Polymer over an Acrylic. Read up, there is a lot of great info on this site.

EdLancer
11-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Anyone use Future arylique floor finish on their paint ? worth a try !

wannafbody
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I have some TREWAX but it doesn`t look like it would work as you don`t wipe it off.