PDA

View Full Version : Repainted car, no clearcoat, lots of orange peel...

Pages : [1] 2

RedFC
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Trying to help a friend out with his car`s paint. He got the car repainted about a year or so ago, and was just a single stage paint. The car has no clearcoat, and alot of orange peel everywhere. In the year since its been repainted, the paint has already started flaking off the spoiler, and is looking faded. To try to bring this car back to life, I am thinking I need to wetsand first, then maybe apply a clearcoat? I`m a DIYer like the rest of you guys, so I figured I could just temporarily convert my garage to a paint booth and spray a coat of clear on the car for him, or even try to repaint spoiler if needed, then clear. I`d like some advice on what to do to get the car looking new and shiny, instead of having the reflection of a crayon.

admac
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
what color is it?

FidoAUTO
11-02-2006, 01:56 PM
So let me get this straight....

you are gonna sand SS Paint and then Apply Clearcoat???

Although you might create a new trend I`m not sure its the way you want the paint to look.... basically it will look dull with a shiny clearcoat on top!!

You have to Sand, Paint and then CC.

RedFC
11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
So let me get this straight....

Although you might create a new trend I`m not sure its the way you want the paint to look.... basically it will look dull with a shiny clearcoat on top!!

You have to Sand, Paint and then CC.

I`ve actually never gotten in to the paintwork, but now is the time if any. The car is red BTW, and looked pretty good at the time. I can see that it has potential, but will it really need a respray? What can I do to avoid a respray? All advice and opinions are appreciated, thanks.

RedFC
11-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Only reason I said that was because his painter told him to do it :scared:

He acknowledged that it had alot of orange peel, and to just wetsand the car....

TortoiseAWD
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
If it`s single stage paint, why not just wet-sand to level the orange peel, then polish it up? There`s nothing inherently wrong with SS paint . . . it does tend to oxidize more quickly and more noticeably than clearcoat, but I`ve also found (in general) that it`s easier to restore the finish on SS than some of the uber-hard clears that are out there.

Here`s what I`d do (as always, take any of my advice with an appropriately sized grain of salt): Go after the finish as-is with a light-to-medium polish to remove oxidation (the fading you mentioned) on at least one panel, and see what you`re left with. That should take care of the fading/oxidation and restore the color and gloss. If, at that point, you decided you still want to address the orange peel, then wet-sand and follow with appropriate polishes to remove the sanding marks.

Tort

RedFC
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Here`s what I`d do (as always, take any of my advice with an appropriately sized grain of salt): Go after the finish as-is with a light-to-medium polish to remove oxidation (the fading you mentioned) on at least one panel, and see what you`re left with. That should take care of the fading/oxidation and restore the color and gloss. If, at that point, you decided you still want to address the orange peel, then wet-sand and follow with appropriate polishes to remove the sanding marks.

Tort

Thanks for the advice. I know you should always start with something less abrasive and work your way up as needed, but this car`s paint is all orange peel, very tough site. Also, what would you recommend about the spoiler? I think I can do a good spraypaint job on it to make it look as good, if not better than the rest of the paint, but thats a very last resort. I`ll have to get pictures up soon just so you guys have an idea of what I`ll be working with.

My buddy said that the paint always comes off after polishing, although its a very small amount, it is noticable. We did a small part, and sure enough, it started taking the paint right off where we first started applying it after working it in for a minute. Keep in mind that I applied this gently by hand. After seeing it start to take the paint off by hand, you can see why I`m not too excited about busting out the PC.

I`m looking for some other opinions on how to go about this detail, since you guy`s have alot more knowledge/experience. What products would you all recommend? I tried a little bit of Z5 pro on it and that is what was taking it off. The ZPC seems way too abrasive if the Z5 would take the paint off, haven`t busted out the Poorboys yet.

Help!

RedFC
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I`m thinking of trying the SSR1 next maybe? I`ve never used it, but it should be here today or tommorow. I heard that the SSR can clump on non clearcoated finishes, not sure if that was 2 or 2.5 though, I could be making this all up as I go, haha.

FidoAUTO
11-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I know you should always start with something less abrasive and work your way up as needed, but this car`s paint is all orange peel, very tough site. Also, what would you recommend about the spoiler? I think I can do a good spraypaint job on it to make it look as good, if not better than the rest of the paint, but thats a very last resort. I`ll have to get pictures up soon just so you guys have an idea of what I`ll be working with.

My buddy said that the paint always comes off after polishing, although its a very small amount, it is noticable. We did a small part, and sure enough, it started taking the paint right off where we first started applying it after working it in for a minute. Keep in mind that I applied this gently by hand. After seeing it start to take the paint off by hand, you can see why I`m not too excited about busting out the PC.

I`m looking for some other opinions on how to go about this detail, since you guy`s have alot more knowledge/experience. What products would you all recommend? I tried a little bit of Z5 pro on it and that is what was taking it off. The ZPC seems way too abrasive if the Z5 would take the paint off, haven`t busted out the Poorboys yet.

Help!

judging by what you are saying here .....

-You cant polish it or the paint comes off

-You cant even seal it or the paint comes off

-Respraying is not an option

I think the only option here is layering 4-5 coats of LIQUID GLASS....... its probably the only thing that will create a `shine` or `gloss` since its all fillers and doesn`t depend on a clearcoat for some of its shine

sneek
11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
The paint completly rubbed off or are your applicators just the colour of the paint?

RedFC
11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
The paint completly rubbed off or are your applicators just the colour of the paint?

I`m sure that the paint rubbed off, it had a visibile spot where we had tested the z5. I`m basically looking for something to seal the paint? Maybe wetsand, then blast it with a protectant.

RedFC
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I think the only option here is layering 4-5 coats of LIQUID GLASS....... its probably the only thing that will create a `shine` or `gloss` since its all fillers and doesn`t depend on a clearcoat for some of its shine

I`ll have to research this, thanks :D

RedFC
11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I was reading up on the LG, and it just doesn`t seem to be quiet what I`m looking for. I guess I`m looking for something that would be a little more permenant. I know the best thing would be a respray, but I`d still like to salvage what I can.

thanks again for all of you all`s help

BigJimZ28
11-02-2006, 11:31 PM
STOP!

is the paint falling off the car or are your pads turing the color of the car?

if the pad are just taking some of the color off this is normal with ss paint!

you are going to want to polish then add some oils back in to the paint

(or use some of the megs products with oils in them)

the use a carcarbunaba wax not a sealant for the best look

06E90
11-03-2006, 01:53 PM
STOP!

is the paint falling off the car or are your pads turing the color of the car?

if the pad are just taking some of the color off this is normal with ss paint!

you are going to want to polish then add some oils back in to the paint

(or use some of the megs products with oils in them)

the use a carcarbunaba wax not a sealant for the best look

Like BigJim said, this is normal with SS paint. Found this thread as an example. http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73261&highlight=single+stage+paint Check out the red pads after polishing. If the paint is really just coming off, the only solution is a full re-paint.