PDA

View Full Version : 350$ paint job . . .

Pages : [1] 2

fdizzle
11-02-2006, 05:49 AM
i forgot to post this eairler, but today at my work I had to install a system (audio) into a 1996 dodge intreped. The customer had claimed that the car was just repainted.

Upon walking out to the vehicle i saw the car and wanted to cry . . .

it was a disaster.

I mumbled to my co-worker that it must have cost like 400 or somthing because of what a bumcrap job they did . . .

driving the car to my shop i noticed a peice of paper on the floor . . .

359$ single stage paint, no prep, no sanding, overspray and orange peel.

color . . . . jet black.

my god . . . you people should have seen this . . . . :wall

David Fermani
11-02-2006, 07:58 AM
I smell M A A C O

imported_bigfoot
11-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I smell M A A C O

I think I can smell the very same thing... :LOLOL

Guy
11-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I fell for the MAACO hype years ago when I was young. The paint fell off my door and it was dirty underneath. And somehow the warrenty I bought extra didn`t cover that!

Setec Astronomy
11-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Well, as we say here, it`s all in the prep...and that`s what costs the money when you`re painting. When I was a kid we used to talk about getting a good paint job at Maaco or Earl Sheib by removing all the trim/emblems, priming and sanding, and doing some masking, before going there (so they were just basically spraying the top coat). I don`t think any of us actually ran the experiment...my friend wound up painting his car in the school auto shop with the teacher.

Eliot Ness
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Well, as we say here, it`s all in the prep...and that`s what costs the money when you`re painting. When I was a kid we used to talk about getting a good paint job at Maaco or Earl Sheib by removing all the trim/emblems, priming and sanding, and doing some masking, before going there (so they were just basically spraying the top coat). I don`t think any of us actually ran the experiment...my friend wound up painting his car in the school auto shop with the teacher.Mike, my first car was a `56 Chevy that a friend and I did the body work on..... well, I say body work..... but it was mostly slapping on Bondo and some rattle can primer. I got up very early on the day I took it to Earl Sheib, went to a 25 cent car wash and wet-sanded it. I gotta say that $39.95 paint job didn`t look too bad and held up great until I sold it a year or two later (I moved up to a real nice `57). Like you said, it`s all in the prep.

former86camaro
11-02-2006, 09:18 AM
My buddy had a 89 camaro back in college. We sanded, primed and removed all the emblems. it came out okay and lasted till he solid it three years later. He also took it back a few times for wetsanding to remove runs, but thre never was a bonding issue. Actually they complimented us on the prep work.

Took a day to sand and prime, then wet sand the primer. not sure if we did it right back then, but we removed the ground effects ect and reassembled it ourselves. On a scale of 1-10 I would say a solid 4, 10 being a 3K job and a 1 being a macco job. It may have been a five at best cause there was orange peel and runs we never really got cleared up, but it did look better than before.

former86camaro
11-02-2006, 09:19 AM
the color was also white...

imported_mystic04
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Earl Sheib somebody remembers that place geeze yea, peel to the max. in fact a orange looked better. last one i remember was at island ave. in south west philly.

imported_themightytimmah
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Lol a $350 paintjob, I`ve seen people spend that much on paint alone to do a decent job. If you`re going to cheap out, why pick black?

Junebug
11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Try 8 dollars! That`s right, back in 1979, a friend of mine painted his Olds Cutless with 8, dollar a piece spray paint cans. Looked ok, not too shiney though! Color was a kind of calf turd brown.

qadsan
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
$350 for a complete paint job :shocked

A gallon of high quality clear with hardner costs ~$250 by itself and that`s just for the clear!

Five Star
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, as we say here, it`s all in the prep...and that`s what costs the money when you`re painting. When I was a kid we used to talk about getting a good paint job at Maaco or Earl Sheib by removing all the trim/emblems, priming and sanding, and doing some masking, before going there (so they were just basically spraying the top coat). I don`t think any of us actually ran the experiment...my friend wound up painting his car in the school auto shop with the teacher.

I did the experiment on an S-10 Blazer. a few years ago with self prep

It came out almost as good as anywhere else.

Talk to the painter and you can determine how much they really know, that will give you an idea of the end result.

imported_Larry A
11-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Their is a post somewhere that talks about a guy who painted 2 cars with a roller. He did it in 3 coats, sanding between coats , and final sanding and buffing. From the pictures the cars looked good. Many years ago they made a paint that you put on with a power puff.

justin30513
11-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Check this out........50.00 Rustoleum paintjob

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133867