PDA

View Full Version : What is more important?

Pages : [1] 2

Grimm
11-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Some of the comments I`ve seen recently about not ever owning a black car intrigue me. So what is more important to you, having a clean looking car (ie: silver), or having a beautiful color car that looks dirty quicker (ie: black)?

For me it`s a no brainer, give me the black or other dark color. My car hasn`t been washed in almost a week and is a bit dirty, but it still has a ton of shine to it and looks way better than any dull, clean looking silver car.

Joshua312
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Silver is not always dull if done right...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jrschippa/Today430.jpg

But I still prefer dark colored cars like you - - I would never trade my red, except for maybe a dark mica with lots of flake :) I wash my car twice a week with ONR and it`s not that hard to maintain...but black would kick my butt

More pics to compare the differences...http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79691

Bigpoppa3346
11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Eh...Black, but only if it is Ceramiclear or some other form of scratch resistant clear. A perfectly prepped black finish is stunning, but unless you wash like Accumulator does or have mar-resistant paint, I wouldn`t get it. Silver is great for a daily driver, as it hardly shows any dirt. With regards to silver being dull, I have gotten silver to look like *amazing* when done right. Any well done silver should look excellent, even when compared to a well done black car. On well prepper silver(ie. no swirls/marrs, burnished to a mirror like shine with Menzerna), I use Collinite 845. It is the most reflective product I have found on that color(in the shade, you get noticable, glossy reflections), while being clear enough to allow very nice flake pop. My lecture of getting silver to pop aside, for *me*, a black daily driver is just too much work.

Grimm
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
See you guys are missing the point though. I`m talking about seeing a silver car sitting next to a black car both after they are dirty from a week of driving to work. Sure, a silver car can look nice after a good polish and wax, but look at it after it has a week or two of road grime and it just looks dull when it`s dirty. While the black may show more imperfections, it still looks great to me even when it`s a bit dirty.

BlackElantraGT
11-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I own a black car and that nice shiny look doesn`t last very long unless it`s a garage queen. It`s pretty frustrating to spend all that time washing your car only to find it dusty and dull the next day.

I think silver could be made to look great too depending on the paint/shade of silver.

I`d rather have a car that looks clean most of the time than one that looks extraordinary for a very short time.

CleanGSR
11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
My black car is my daily driver and it`s a pain. If it was a weekend car or garage queen, then I`d definately rather have the black. But being a daily driver I wish my car was a ligher color....even white.

percynjpn
11-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Though a chore, black, dark blue and (esp British racing) green are by far my favorites.

mcnab
11-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I`ve got a black daily driver right now. If I could do it all over again, I don`t think I would. I consider myself pretty anal about keeping it looking clean, and even I have pretty much lost my motivation over winter.

I`ll wash my car on Saturday afternoon, by Sunday morning it`s already dirty. The dew comes in over night, then the dust/dirt settles on the now wet surface and by noon it`s already dirty.

If I could do it again I would go with a high metallic blue, wine red, silver or championship white.

Alex_Perry
11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I`m a fan of white. I think it looks best at night under ambient light such as streetlights, store lights, etc...

Accumulator
11-02-2006, 11:14 AM
I`m sure it won`t surprise any of the regulars here that I voted for silver.

IMO a really well-detailed silver car will look better more of the time, with a lot less work. I drove black for years, but I had to wash a few times every week to keep it looking OK. With silver I don`t, and it has to get a lot dirtier than I let it before it starts looking truly dull. With black, even a thin film of dust makes it look *to me* like it badly needs a wash. I`m just not gonna wash a car as often as I have to with black.

Scottwax
11-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I have my first and last black car. The only way I`d own another one is if it was a garage queen. Black just isn`t a good color for me on a daily driver, too much work to keep it looking as close to perfect as possible. I keep mine as a 5 foot car right now, too frustrating to keep it any better.

Mr_Elusive
11-15-2006, 09:09 AM
BLACK! I don`t mind washing all the time, there`s nothing like looking at a clean black car with lots of souveran :grinno:

coupe
11-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Black and or dark colors only for me.

I will NEVER own a light colored car, way to boring.

Once you get a good regimen going with a dark colored vehicle its not THAT bad to keep up on.

onemeanmachine
11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I never liked white until my step-dad bought a white corvette and I detailed it. I never liked silver until the first silver car I detailed. I never liked green or even most reds...yep, until the first ones I detailed. In short, I`ve learned to love most colors when properly cleaned up, so while nothing will completely top black for me (in a show car) I would rather drive another color that doesn`t keep me running around it with a MF to keep the dust from settling! I like watching clients drive off in their dark or black cars, but then I get back in my teal blue truck, which I love too, and drive away knowing they`ll be back soon to get that beauty cleaned again.

Accumulator
11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Black and or dark colors only for me.

I will NEVER own a light colored car, way to boring.

Once you get a good regimen going with a dark colored vehicle its not THAT bad to keep up on.

[old codger voice:] Heh heh, that`s exactly what I said about 25 years ago ;)