PDA

View Full Version : Help! Consumer Report results on waxes!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nacho_Z71
11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting but I have been lurking on this site for many months now. I have a few vehicles that I LOVE to detail on a monthly basis. I have always been an avid Meguiar`s user (#7 mirror glaze polish and #26 yellow wax). I used to love the Gold Class products but have been happy with the products above. ANyway, I recently did a search on car waxes because I have been curious to see what other people had to say. I ran across this link which basically states the recent results from Consumert Reports. They basically ranked Black Magic and Turtle Wax T-6 as #1. I read how they actually performed the tests with weathering techniques and water beading.

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/living/autos/cr-rates-car-waxes-60626.shtml

I would like to know ya`lls opinions. has anyone ever used those products? Are they good? I am not trying to start any type of flame wars or anything. I just want the best protection possible with the best looking results.

fdizzle
11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Mirror Glaze products are superior to those mentioned in the reports, and are not included in CS teats. They mainly test popular OTC products . . . Stick with what you use now, many autopians are avid Mirror Glaze fans, gold class paste and NXT gen waxes are also very popular here . . .

Anyone feel free to disagree with me here . . .

neonecko
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
eww OTC waxes

Bigpoppa3346
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
eww OTC waxes

What is wrong with OTC waxes? Just because you don`t have to pay shipping costs and order online to get it doesn`t mean they aren`t good. Ever tried Collinite 845? One of the best looking LSP`s for light metallics there is, IMO, and durability would put 95% of most "boutique" products to shame. What about Mothers? I hear good things about them all the time. Meg`s has some decent OTC stuff too.

Joshua312
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Just because you don`t have to pay shipping costs and order online to get it doesn`t mean they aren`t good.

:werd: There are many OTC products that work great!! My vote would be for a Mothers wax rather than Turtle Wax or Black Magic...Just my personal preference of course

Scottwax
11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
That test was a complete joke. How can they downgrade P21S`s rating because it has no cleaning power? It isn`t supposed to and further more, the instructions that come with a jar of P21S clearly state that a precleaner should be used on paint more than 6 months old. At that point, the entire test became invalid.

Accumulator
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Nacho_Z71- Welcome to Autopia!

I`ve been scratching my head about Consumer`s Reports` take on waxes since 1976. Back then I was using a combo similar to yours (#7/#16) and I ran out and got the wax they said was best (Classic Car Wax). I used it and was shocked at how lousy my car looked. I polished it off and went back to the MirrorGlaze stuff. IMO the only time they got it right was when they liked Rain Dance, which was a pretty good cleanerwax for the time (late `70s early-mid `80s).

I suspect that they don`t: do decent prep before applying; use proper techniques *when* applying; or, most importantly, inspect the results with as critical an eye as some people. How else to explain how they like a wax that they admit leaves micromarring?!?

I`d skip their opinions on this subject and rely on the opinions of *real* experts, or better yet, go by your own experience. FWIW, my first-hand experiences are often at odds with the results CR reports. IMO CR`s an OK starting point and can be an interesting read, but I sure don`t consider it a true authority in the sense of expert-level knowledge. Everything the say seems, uhm, watered-down for mass consumption by the lowest common denominator if you know what I mean. Note that they once criticized a sports car for being fast specifically because it might encourage the driver to drive at excessive speeds.

Regarding the off-topic turn of the thread, I`m a little :rolleyes: about the categorical knocking of OTC products, there are good ones and bad ones, can`t generalize. When I was a kid Meg`s MirrorGlaze line was "OTC" in my area, even though they were "professional grade products" so actually, I don`t even know where the dividing line *is* with regard to what`s OTC/not :nixweiss Go in an autobody/paint supply place and look at what you can by over *their* counter. Might not be Zymol Vintage, but it`s not junk either.

neonecko
11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Ha, I knew someone would say something like that. +1. I`ve no problem with otc products. Have not used collinite as I am unable to locate them anywhere locally. Most the time I will order stuff via internet but in case of emergencys I will use the occasional otc product. but..Black Magic is a brand I frown upon.

jfelbab
11-01-2006, 05:57 PM
This is another statement that should make you toss that CR mag.

And CR’s other best all-around choice, the Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Sounds like something I`d want to use. :down

Stick with your #7, #26 products.

CR may be ok when testing refrigerators and ranges but they lack any credibility on quality car care.

Bigpoppa3346
11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I agree that this test was a complete joke. They do a crappy job reviewing cars, and do an even worse job doing car waxes. Rating a product based on lack of cleaning is pathetic, and I`m sure that the reviewers were some Joe-shmos(sp?) who wash with a brush and buff the wax off with an old t-shirt.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Heres a few comments I wouldnt necessarily agree with.............

Consumer Reports found that the liquid waxes generally provide the best combination of cleaning and protection.

Liquid waxes are good for cleaning Gee, maybe because there full of cheap petroleum?

Paste waxes are good for ease of application. But overall performance is not as good as with liquids

Spray waxes.......... are not as good for cleaning and are the worst for durability. I know of some spray waxes that are better then their top testers!!

How well a wax causes water to bead, or repel water, is one way to determine whether wax still provides protection from acid rain and contaminants. The mystery has been solved!! Thank you CR!

SDLexus
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
eww OTC waxes

That`s a bit arrogant and elitist. There are many quality OTC products that offer similar results to "boutique" brands. :rolleyes:

neonecko
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Ha, I knew someone would say something like that. +1. I`ve no problem with otc products. Have not used collinite as I am unable to locate them anywhere locally. Most the time I will order stuff via internet but in case of emergencys I will use the occasional otc product. but..Black Magic is a brand I frown upon.

^lol :hide:

Accumulator
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Heh heh, here I am sticking up for OTC products even though I hardly ever buy anything in a brick-and-morter any more :o

neonecko- Props to you for maintaining a pleasant demeanor about everybody jumping to the defense of OTC stuff :D

Bigpoppa3346
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Heh heh, here I am sticking up for OTC products even though I hardly ever buy anything in a brick-and-morter any more :o

Same here. In fact, the only thing I really would buy OTC is more Collinite or some more Duragloss, which I already have enough of. There is a *lot* of crappy OTC stuff out there, and you have to search far and wide to find the real gems.