PDA

View Full Version : Went through the clear, is this fixable?

wolfe
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Disclaimer: I realise that I`m an idiot for this.

I was fixing a small rock chip, which went pretty well. On the stage where I was lightly (I thought) sanding the excess paint blob down to the same level as the surrounding paint, I seem to have thinned or gone through a small patch of clearcoat next to where the chip was.

The area is about 1/4" square and the best way I can describe it is that it looks darker than the surrounding paint. (light metallic silver car). If I view it from the side, it has a different sheen to the surrounding area, which I`ve read is a sign that you went through the clear.

I`m probably not intending to try and fix it myself, as the potential for doing even more harm seems quite high.

I`m just wondering what the method of repair might be for such a situation, to get as good a quality finish as possible. Would a bodyshop want to repaint the entire panel, just put some more clear on it or what? It`s on the hood if that makes a difference. If the repair would involve lots of paint and blending, I think I`d prefer to just leave it as it is (or maybe get some clear on there for protection).

Thanks for any advice.

gbackus
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Airbrush touchup is your best bet, but at most you`ll get a year out of the repair if it`s really high quality.

Other than that, repaint.

Accumulator
11-01-2006, 05:58 PM
wolfe- A good paintshop can spot in the area with both a little color and a bit more clear (either with an airbrush or a small spotting gun). Not a big deal, I just had it done on the MPV and I`ve had it done on countless other vehicles over the years.