PDA

View Full Version : I am going to try to go for a one year long polish

shortspark
11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a billit silver Honda and it is garage kept, seldom sees rain and never snow, sand or salt. Basically, it is a garage queen. I`ve tried every detail product you can imagine and I`ve been pleased with most. Here is what I am going to try - what do you all think?

Because contimenants will be at a minimum due to the way the truck is driven and stored (and my climate), I will try to go one year between polishes. I will start with my favorites for this color, AIO/SGx3. As is the case now, when I drive it I usually give it a go over of Poorboys SW. If it is a little dirtier I use QEW, DP 4in1 or ONR - all good btw. If it is filthy out comes the shampoo; however, the truck seldom gets in that condition.

After each wash and the truck is spotless, I plan on using several different products as "toppers" to see it through the year. I have used these toppers before with good success as they prolong durability and rejuvinate the shine. I plan on alternating the following products: Duragloss AW, Wolfgang Spray Sealant, Menzerna`s HGAS, Werkstatts AG and my own home brew of 1 part SG to 3 parts distilled water.

This is pretty much what I`ve been doing since I have owned my Ridgeline (May `05) except that every four months or so I would bring out the Klasse and start over even though the truck did not appear to need a thing.

What do you all think? Can I go a year without doing all over again?

coupe
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I think your waisteing your time.

Im not sure what your really testing either.

Are you testing how long a LSP lasts in your conditions?

xinkid
11-01-2006, 02:42 PM
He`s not testing anything. Although I`m also unsure exactly what the OP means by "Can I go a year without doing all over again?" Because that really depends on your threshold for swirls and wash technique.

If you are asking about whether the AIO/SGx3 will last you a year, then Accumulator`s AIO/SGx6 experience might be helpful to you. I think it lasted him over a year on his MPV beater. Not sure if he used booster wax or not.

If you are asking about not polishing out new swirls for over a year, that is really up to you.

shortspark
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
No, I`m not testing any of these products because I have used them all before with good results. What I would like to determine is if there will be any noticeable difference between my prior routine of AIO/SG every 4 months as opposed to once a year. I know these "toppers" help with durability and looks but I would like to see for how long before the actual lsp (SG) shows wear, if any.

Accumulator
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
If you are asking about whether the AIO/SGx3 will last you a year, then Accumulator`s AIO/SGx6 experience might be helpful to you. I think it lasted him over a year on his MPV beater. Not sure if he used booster wax or not.

If you are asking about not polishing out new swirls for over a year, that is really up to you.

Good memory! Yeah, my KSGX6 lasted over a year with regular washes (Griot`s Car Wash) and spot-claying as needed. No, I *did not* use any boosters/QD/etc. Nothing but wash and clay and I drove it all the time, year-round, including a really nasty winter.

As for polishing, IMO that`s almost all in the wash technique. I haven`t repolished any of our vehicles in over a year IIRC, I know it`s been over two and a half years on the S8 and over a year and a half for both the MPV and my wife`s A8. I fix the occasional RIDS, but other than that it`s just wash, clay, reapply LSP as needed (which isn`t all that often). Heh heh, I *am* gonna redo the S8 one of these months though, and I`ll redo the MPV after the paintwork cures, but it`s surprising how little you really have to do if you wash `em frequently and correctly. If I were to post before/after pics I doubt that most people would ever see any difference.