PDA

View Full Version : Hard to wipe?

hoanger
10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey guys,

I`m pertty new to detailing and whenever i used a polish/swirl remover such as 3m Perfect it or Megs Swirl remover, whenever i tried to take it off with my mf, it was ridiculously hard to wipe off.. like my mf STUCK to the car and took a carzy amount of time to take off.

is there soemthing im doing wrong? was i supposd to work it in more? did i work it in too much?

i`m also planning on getting either megs 80 or 83. should i buy one or the other? or both and use them in combination? winter is here already and my car is already starting to get crazy marring... i want to be ready for when its done.

also, in regards to pads... i have a pc 7424 and it came with some pads. i`m not really familiar with the colour and cut... but it came with a white pad, yellow bad and black pad and it says that white is for applying while black is the cutting pad, how would i use these in combination with 80 and 83?

Lastly, I`e read the How-to`s and saw in one of them that after you polish, you can either switch to a buffing pad or a finishing pad. I was thinking, if i switched to a finishing pad, how would it work if the product is already worked in and dried out, would it not be super dry and dust all over the place?

anyways, sorry for all the questions guys... i really wanna get this right. thanks!

White95Max
10-31-2006, 09:12 PM
If it`s hard to wipe off, you probably are using too much product, and therefore trying to wipe off a large amount of polish at once. That`s why it`s "sticking" and likely smearing as well.

What brand of pads you have will make a difference as to what type of pad each color is.

The How-To was referring to polishing, wiping off the polish, and THEN using a finishing pad with a lighter polish or LSP. You don`t work a polish in with one pad and then work it with another pad.

hoanger
10-31-2006, 09:20 PM
If it`s hard to wipe off, you probably are using too much product, and therefore trying to wipe off a large amount of polish at once. That`s why it`s "sticking" and likely smearing as well.

What brand of pads you have will make a difference as to what type of pad each color is.

The How-To was referring to polishing, wiping off the polish, and THEN using a finishing pad with a lighter polish or LSP. You don`t work a polish in with one pad and then work it with another pad.

i was thinking it was too much. but i find that if i dont put more on the pad, then it ends up not going on at all and just dusting up and feels like it`ll scartch or marr the paint further.

about the how-to, oh so thats what it meant. thanks for clearing that up!

Eliot Ness
10-31-2006, 09:21 PM
....whenever i used a polish/swirl remover such as 3m Perfect it or Megs Swirl remover, whenever i tried to take it off with my mf, it was ridiculously hard to wipe off.. like my mf STUCK to the car and took a carzy amount of time to take off.Are you applying this by hand or with a PC? Also are you doing the whole car and then trying to remove it, or just a small section at a time?
i`m also planning on getting either megs 80 or 83. should i buy one or the other?Use 83 for tougher defects, and 80 for lighter defects or to follow up with after 83 to remove any hazing it might leave behind.
i`m not really familiar with the colour and cut... but it came with a white pad, yellow bad and black pad and it says that white is for applying while black is the cutting pad, how would i use these in combination with 80 and 83?

Usually a yellow pad is a cutting pad, white is a polish pad, and black is a finish pad, but some brands do differ. You`ll have to tell us what brand or the kit so we will know what cut those pads are.
Lastly, I`e read the How-to`s and saw in one of them that after you polish, you can either switch to a buffing pad or a finishing pad. I was thinking, if i switched to a finishing pad, how would it work if the product is already worked in and dried out, would it not be super dry and dust all over the place?I think what they are talking about is you would polish with a more aggressive pad, remove that polish, then follow-up with a less aggressive pad and/or polish.

hoanger
10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
i`m doing it with my pc 7424, i do one section then try to wipre it and then move on. am i supposed to let it dry before i take it off?

I guess i`ll end up getting both 80 and 83, my car is gonna be really bad after winter.

I can`t remember the brand of the pads, i`ll have to look at that when i get home from work. i`m sure the white pad is for applying because the foam is a lot softer and such. the yellow and black pads look almost identical, except the yellow pad looks as though there are more holes giving it a spongier look.

Eliot Ness
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
i`m doing it with my pc 7424, i do one section then try to wipre it and then move on. am i supposed to let it dry before i take it off?

I guess i`ll end up getting both 80 and 83, my car is gonna be really bad after winter.

I can`t remember the brand of the pads, i`ll have to look at that when i get home from work. i`m sure the white pad is for applying because the foam is a lot softer and such. the yellow and black pads look almost identical, except the yellow pad looks as though there are more holes giving it a spongier look.Like Paul (White95Max), I suspect that you are putting it on too thick and/or doing too large of a section at one time.

83 and 80 is a good combo to have if you like using Meg`s products. You might also want to consider the Optimum Polishes (http://www.danase.com/oppokit.html).... they are pretty easy to work with.

It sounds like your pads might be different than what we usually see, so we`ll need the brand to help you know what color pad to use for different applications.

White95Max
10-31-2006, 10:21 PM

What speed are you using when polishing?

How large of an area are you working at a time?

Are you applying any pressure to the pad/machine when using it?

hoangur
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
well i spread at 2 and then bump it up to 5 and work it in as long as i can before it starts dusting. i know that it should break down, and im applying minimal pressure, im not sure how much should be applied.

Accumulator
11-01-2006, 12:33 PM

I guess i`ll end up getting both 80 and 83, my car is gonna be really bad after winter..

The only polishes I (intentionally) let dry are the ones from 1Z, anything else (including Meg`s and 3M) I buff off while still slightly "wet". I only work them until they`ve broken down then I buff them off.

Overworking the product can really get it stuck to the finish.

And yeah, I`d work smaller areas so you have greater control over what`s going on.

And I`d work on that wash technique so it doesn`t get marred up so much ;)