PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Well in the spirit of "Devils Night", one on the local pranksters filled my girl-fiends driver side door lock with super glue. Thankfully nothing got on the paint or anywhere else, it seems like they stuck the tip down in the door lock and squeezed.

My first course of action was to check my car (which is fine btw) ... other than that I`m lost. We were still able to get into the car through her passenger side door but I don`t want that to be a permanent solution.

Any suggestions aside from replacing the door lock?

zippymbr
10-31-2006, 08:07 AM
There are solvents but they will most likely damage your paint. I think lock replacement is the best option.

ZeusCGP
10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Nail polish remover dissolves super glue.

tom p.
10-31-2006, 09:07 AM
There are super glue-specific solvents. I don`t believe it would be a long-term solution. I agree with the lock replacement suggestion.

Grimm
10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I don`t know why kids think this crap is so funny. A couple of kids vandalized our high school Sunday with toilet paper, throwing eggs all over including inside the building, and shooting off the fire extinguishers. Thankfully they were stupid and left the egg cartons on the floor. The local police went to the store on the carton, and the manager knew right away about them and pulled the servaillence tape. The parents of the two kids will now be paying for the estimated $15K it will cost to clean up the building.

chml17l
10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Acetone will dissolve Super Glue, but as already stated above, the best long term solution might be to just replace the lock.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Can anyone estimate a price to get a new lock cylinder and have it matched to her key?

Thank you for all the advice guys ... I truly do appreciate it!

imported_themightytimmah
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Think about pulling the lock, cleaning it out with a solvent, putting it back in. That way you can avoid paint damage and having to get new keys.

lemans23
10-31-2006, 04:39 PM
I`d get the lock replaced, and you shouldn`t do what I did. Last year (same date naturally), I was driving my car over to my friend`s house so we could go to a halloween party. Well, when I got there, I saw some kids tooling around with his car, deflating his tires and such. After a firm talking to with my left fist, I doubt those 14 year olds will be back again. ****ing morons.

AL-53
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
I would go the way Tim said...take door panel off..remove lock cylinder and use a solvent like acetone to flush the lock out....if you choose to have it replaced..the cost will include door panel removal and cylinder and labor...so best to try to free it first..leave the door panel off for awhile to ensure you cleaned the cylinder..if does not work..at least you have half the work done to access it....

just get a locksmith to code a cylinder to your key....may have to get from dealer...sometimes a dealer can get one already coded...with the VIN number...

AL

EdLancer
10-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Can anyone estimate a price to get a new lock cylinder and have it matched to her key?

Thank you for all the advice guys ... I truly do appreciate it!

That would be very difficult, They can get you a new set of cylinders, but you will have to replace all the locks.

Best way is to remove the cylinder and use a heat gun. This kind of glue will break off once it hits 200F. Lucky for you they choose the wrong kind of glue to do damage, epoxy would have been a different story !

PhaRO
10-31-2006, 09:48 PM
wonder what affect steam would have on it? If you had a steamer, might be worth a shot.

Alex_Perry
11-01-2006, 12:26 AM
If you really enjoy tedious work, you can take it out and clean it up with a solvent. The only way you`re going to get it so it doesn`t stick ever again though, is to disassemble the cylinder and clean all of the tumblers.

The easier route is to replace the cylinder. Take your key to the dealer and get them to make you a new cylinder to match your key. I don`t think the door locks have anything hooked up to the PATS or security system, so it shouldn`t be a problem to remove/install. Double check that last part, though.

medic159
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Why not call a local locksmith and see what he says? They may have experience with this and can recommend or perform a solution that won`t do any damage.

imported_02ZTSfocus
11-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I talked to a guy that works at a ford dealership over at focusfanatics.com. He said if I provide him with her VIN number that he can get a new lock cylinder matched it to her key along with a new PATS key for $75.

It just pisses me off that this is what kids do for a "prank". I`m honestly embarrassed of my generation because of crap like this, you know if they would have done something like smear peanut butter on the windows or even just TP`ed the car I would have just taken it as a harmless Halloween prank. When you cost someone money its no longer a prank, its vandalism.

I do have a pretty good idea which "group" of kids in my neighborhood is responsible for this ... but like I said they are a always in group form when I see them so for the sake of my health this may have to slide. I would have loved to have caught one of the ****-heads and "persuaded" him that vandalising an Autopian ride isn`t a good idea.