PDA

View Full Version : Dent removal, Overspray concern

baker
10-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Having a small dent repaired on the front of my hood today, darn highway rocks, they tell me only a small area will be repainted, maybe 6 to 8 inches across, but the entire hood will be re-clearcoated. Will I have to be worried about clearcoat overspray, or will it be un-noticeable or invisible?

vwgtivw
10-31-2006, 08:15 AM
You should not notice the repair if it is done right.

Wolffe
10-31-2006, 09:08 AM
I take it that paintless dent removal isn`t an option? I just had 3 dents removed from my hood and one from the driver door and they have simply disappeared without a trace. It`s amazing what they can do now...

Eliot Ness
10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
If you do get overspray it might not be noticable by eye, but you`ll be able to feel it on other body panels, especially when you dry your car with a MF. It can be easily removed by using some Detailing Clay (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-3200-2.html). That link is a very good price because you get two bars of the Ultra-Fine and a bonus bar of the Block clay for $18.99.

FYI, here is a "how-to" on using clay:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

It`s not a bad idea to clay at least once or twice a year anyway, but I wouldn`t do the newly painted hood because the paint can be soft until the paint cures (90-120 days). At that time you might find you need to buff it out again anyway.... seems like even if the paint shop does a good spray, sometimes they aren`t that good buffing it out (at least not by our standards).

neonecko
10-31-2006, 09:42 AM
+1 on the clay. My car was recently repainted nand horrible overspray, not only could you feel it. You can see it(white specs) all over the front end of my car. Claybar made MOST of the white specs go away. Some just appear to not want to be removed. May try to polish those out in the future.

Zrex61
10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
My chevy had overspray on the inside of both from door windows...

.........an `03 that the dealer said "has never been in an accidents etc". I will be having a word with them next time I`m in their area. Last time we spoke on the phone it ended with me giving them direct orders to fornicate with themselves...