PDA

View Full Version : infiniti detail coming up....

Pages : [1] 2

Envious Eric
10-31-2006, 02:42 AM
what has been your guys` sucess with them and process...

optimum line up polishes - OHC, OC, OP

rotary and PC

excel erasure pads

what would my best bet be....soft pads and heavier polishes?...like polishing pad and OHC, polishing pad OC, finishing pad and OP? or orange pads with OHC/OC, and polishing pad with OP???

cchiu1026
10-31-2006, 02:50 AM
I just did a G35 this past weekend, I used OP with a Edge Orange pad with PC. There were swirls and marring on the car. Came out very nice, topped with NXT Wax. The car was silver but was happy with the job. At first I had tried it with a finishing white pad but didn`t take out the swirls, probably with 3 passes it would have.

Chris

imported_Lightman
10-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Toyotaguy I just did one a few weeks ago and it came out very well with OC and a white pad. I`m sure you won`t have any trouble. http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78380

Joshua312
10-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Just do a test panel and see what works...IMO there are no set steps one can recommend for a paint finish that will always work. Just do a test spot and see what works for you. You have a nice selection of polishes so I don`t think you`ll have a problem.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I have an Infiniti Friday and will more then likley be going with Orange and OC.....Probably seal up with UPP.

Envious Eric
10-31-2006, 04:29 PM
thats what I was thinking...OC and orange, then OP white, then op blue, sealed with 21, topped with OCW....

imported_Picus
10-31-2006, 05:00 PM
It`s not so hard to remove deep marring with a rotary; it`s finishing down that`s often tough. I usually finish with 106FF/black - but OP/blue should do it, just use a really slow speed.

Envious Eric
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
thinking about sticking with a PC for this one until i get more comfortable with the rotary...

imported_Picus
11-01-2006, 08:20 AM
thinking about sticking with a PC for this one until i get more comfortable with the rotary...

You`ll still be ok - you might need to move up to OHC if there are deep scratches. Just remember if you have a hard time finishing with no micromarring try less speed, less pressure, less aggessive; that seems to be the key.

TigerMike
11-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I had great success with Hi-Temp 357 Magnum (Heavy Cut Leveler) and OP mixed, with my PC, on my Infiniti. Followed with DG105/AW, and the results were stellar!

Envious Eric
11-02-2006, 10:57 PM
micromarring what not too much of an issue....but every one of my "good MF" towel scratched when wiping up polish - and the polish was Optimum, so its not dry polish scratching...i tried orange excel pad with OC and it wasnt enough to take out all the swirls in two passes, so I stepped it up to OHC on a orange....while it took out most everything in one pass, a second was needed to remove the hazing, so I ran OC and white excel pad to remove....then I noticed that my towels for wiping were scratching the car...I was pissed, so I took my "bad MF" and guess what, NO SCRATCHES! whats going on???

my final results, and I`ll make a click N brag later, were OHC/orange, OC/white, RMG/polishing pad and Megs 21 sealant on a black infinity! results were steller, but why was it such a problem for me when others have finished with just OC and white (didnt remove much besides make the hazing disappear for me)

RAG
11-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Sounds like it turned out pretty good. Black Ininitys are tough, cause they are really bdifficult to finish without halograms via rotary...and PCs leave a light/moderate amount of micromarring even with PO106FF...so if you got very little and it came out like you`d planned, then consider it a rare success with these monsters.

micromarring what not too much of an issue....but every one of my "good MF" towel scratched when wiping up polish - and the polish was Optimum, so its not dry polish scratching...i tried orange excel pad with OC and it wasnt enough to take out all the swirls in two passes, so I stepped it up to OHC on a orange....while it took out most everything in one pass, a second was needed to remove the hazing, so I ran OC and white excel pad to remove....then I noticed that my towels for wiping were scratching the car...I was pissed, so I took my "bad MF" and guess what, NO SCRATCHES! whats going on???

my final results, and I`ll make a click N brag later, were OHC/orange, OC/white, RMG/polishing pad and Megs 21 sealant on a black infinity! results were steller, but why was it such a problem for me when others have finished with just OC and white (didnt remove much besides make the hazing disappear for me)

Envious Eric
11-02-2006, 11:12 PM
maybe I am just expecting too much from myself - not a bad thing right??? but I hoped I would be able to get it much cleaner like my toyota truck when I detail it everyonce in a while...comes out perfect

RAG
11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Wait, I`m confused...was the last polish you used OC? A few months ago when I tried OP via PC and final finishing pad on a black G35 I had just buffed out three times with the rotary, I got a ton of micromarring so I went to FPII and got very little; actually, I should say "we", cause Sullybob from this forum was working with me that day and conducted the same experiment and got the same result.

Envious Eric
11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
oc and white was the last polish, then I glazed it to fill in stuff...and the micromarring wasnt bad at all! its the scratches from the MF towels that pissed me off