PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of help with a magnetic sticker problem..

Marc Hufnagel
10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Detailed an 02 dark garnet pearl Jeep Grand Cherokee, absolutely beautiful, guy wants it gone over from top to bottom.

Great. Before he leaves he takes off 3 of the magnetic ribbons that are popular now and an american flag (8x10") or so.

Underneath them was/is a greasy-looking ghost image of the items where they were stuck...The paint is the same color underneath, but looks like a light film of vaseline or something is on the clearcoat.

Scratch-x on a terry washcloth did not budge it, any ideas what I am up against here? Never seen this before.

thanks

Setec Astronomy
10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Could be some water damage, someone posted some time ago about the hood of a Prowler that was damaged from having a tarp on it.

Marc Hufnagel
10-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Could be some water damage, someone posted some time ago about the hood of a Prowler that was damaged from having a tarp on it.

I was going to try some 83 on it in the morning with a polishing pad, I`m just wondering how deep in the CC it goes though. It`s bad enough that it`s not just visible at an angle, but head-on and you can feel it is a different texture than the unaffected paint.

Setec Astronomy
10-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Maybe the sticker flapped or vibrated in the wind causing abrasion to the paint.

White95Max
10-30-2006, 11:00 PM
That`s my guess as well. Usually it`s a simple color contrast due to the paint fading around the magnet/sticker but not under it. This can be corrected quickly with a mild polish or paint cleaner. If the magnet was moved around (intentionally or not), it may have scuffed the paint, which would require more serious work to correct.