PDA

View Full Version : Help running the PC on my Audi

silvergray
10-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to detail my black A4 with my new 7336, LC pads, and Menzerna line. I do however, have a couple questions.

1) What do you do for curvy body panels, just go over them? I mean, the edges between vertical and horizontal panels. (Trunk -> fender) And the intricate front/rear bumpers.

2) I tried it out today, and I (think, at least) had a hard time keeping the PC level on the paint. It felt like it was at all sorts of crazy angles.

3) With Menzerna IP, how many passes should be necessary to kill moderate swirling?

4) **Are passes considered one up/down stroke, or up/down/side/side stroke? How do I move this thing?

Thanks for your help!

ALSO - How do these pads (2nd kit) (http://www.properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html) compare with these pads. (http://autogeek.net/vcpad.html)

Specifically the yellow ones from Properautocare to the orange from Autogeek. I`m worried the yellow ones I already bought may be too agressive for swirl removal with Menzerna Intensive Polish....

sentra_99
10-30-2006, 07:08 PM
There are a few good videos on Autogeek.net. Here`s the link: http://autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html. They cover light swirl removal and intermediate swirl removal.

Accumulator
10-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to detail my black A4 with my new 7336, LC pads, and Menzerna line. I do however, have a couple questions.

1) What do you do for curvy body panels, just go over them? I mean, the edges between vertical and horizontal panels. (Trunk -> fender) And the intricate front/rear bumpers.

2) I tried it out today, and I (think, at least) had a hard time keeping the PC level on the paint. It felt like it was at all sorts of crazy angles.

3) With Menzerna IP, how many passes should be necessary to kill moderate swirling?

4) **Are passes considered one up/down stroke, or up/down/side/side stroke? How do I move this thing?

Thanks for your help!

ALSO - How do these pads (2nd kit) (http://www.properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html) compare with these pads. (http://autogeek.net/vcpad.html)

Specifically the yellow ones from Properautocare to the orange from Autogeek. I`m worried the yellow ones I already bought may be too agressive for swirl removal with Menzerna Intensive Polish....

Welcome to Autopia! Fellow Audi-nut here.

Note regarding the reply that follows: most Audis have very hard clear, and I`m gonna assume that yours is like that. There are some A4/S4 cars with surprisingly soft clear though :nixweiss and if yours is one of *those* my advice would be a little different.

I wouldn`t worry too much about the cutting pads being too aggressive. In fact, IMO you`re gonna need a 4" pad/backing plate setup to do any real correction on an Audi, at least in a reasonable amount of time. The larger pads just don`t work all that well with the PC (lots of info about this on othe threads so I won`t repeat it all here). FWIW I prefer orange light cut pads over yellow cutting pads but that`s just me.

Either pad kit would be OK but with the Audi clear you don`t need different "finishing/finessing/etc." mild pads. A pair of cutting pads (I kinda like the orange light cut pads, but again, get cutting pads in 4"), a pair of polishing pads, and a pair of finishing pads (take your pick between the different kinds, I doubt there`ll be a functional difference on your paint) will do it. So I`d put together your own kit with (only) what you really need.

To summarize pad choice:

Cutting- 4" orange; Polishing- 6.5" white, Finishing- 6.5" black/red/blue. Get a few of each if only because [stuff] happens.

As to specific Qs:

1) Try to do them with the PC, and don`t be afraid to use the edge of the pad as the PC is pretty gentle and you have plenty of hard clear. Do the spots it won`t reach by hand.

2) With experience you`ll get better control over the thing. Use enough product to keep the pad lubricated but don`t go overboard as most people use too much product. You might find it easier to control at speed 5 than at speed 6, but generally I prefer speed 6 for correction and ~4-4.5 for waxing and glazing.

3) No way to tell, but don`t be surprised if it takes a *lot* of passes and a *lot* of time. I recently corrected a pretty minor scratch (the kind most people don`t even see) on my S8 using the PC/4" orange light cut pad/H-T Heavy Cut and it took quite a while, long enough that I thought "gee, should`ve used the rotary". To do the whole car might take many hours. (So when you get it nice, be super-careful when washing so you keep it that way ;) )

4) To *me* a pass is working the product until it`s ready to be buffed off with a towel (to the point of not-quite-dry). Work systematically so all areas get the same attention. Many people use a "back-forth, then up-down, then diagonally in both directions" pattern. Unlike the rotary, it`s not all that critical how you do it, but again, systematically is best (for most every aspect of detailing ;) ).

Since this might take many passes, inspect the pads regularly. You don`t want dried/caked polish on the pads. How much time/effort/etc. will depend on how bad the marring is and you`ll just have to see. Don`t move on to a finer polish (like FPII) until you have the marring the way you want it. The mild stuff will only improve the finish a tiny little bit, it won`t do much correction. Do the correction with the aggressive pad/product combo and inspect it a zillion times with great light and from numerous viewing angles so you don`t have a unpleasant surprise after you apply your LSP.

I`d pick a small area (e.g., a portion of the trunk lid) and work it until it`s the way you want as opposed to trying to do the whole car at once. Get a feel for the PC, your products, and your paint by working the limited area first.

ashsarna
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Great response Accumulator,

being a novice myself, your explaination covered the bases very nicely.

silvergray
10-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks! Lots of great info! I can`t wait to post some pics!

imported_DieselMDX
11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
great post accumulater

Accumulator
11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Glad some people found that post helpful. While most everything under the sun has already been covered here at one time or another, I figure it sometimes pays to rehash some sorta basic stuff or at least offer a summary of some high points.

TRANS4M
11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I`m getting ready to tackle my Imola S4 for the first time. I understand what you are going through. I just bought a 7424, LC pads, OC, OP, and Klasse SG.

Good luck with A4. Post pics in CnB when you`re finished.