PDA

View Full Version : Tips on what to use to get ready for the winter.

nisdodge
10-29-2006, 05:34 PM
I need to get my truck ready for the winter. It has some minor scratches that I would like to take care of before hand. I was planning to use sctrach-x for that. I also wanted to use a polish but have never used anything like that. Will a polish be ok applied by hand? Which would be a good polish to use?

Heres my plans so far...

Wash

Clay

Wax

Scratch-x to needed areas

Polish

Is that a good plan? The color is a dark grey metallic, i`m sure it has swirl marks but the grey really hides it well even under direct sunlight I can never see any.

Also I have chrome wheels and my state uses salt for the roads. :mad: What would be a good product to protect them from the salt during the winter? I`ve used a couple different chrome cleaners and I`ve been most happy with a turtle wax polish. It was actually the cheapest one I tried and I thought had the best results. I would like to use soemtime that would protect them from the salt.

justin30513
10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
You need to wax last. The Turtle wax will not last long against road salt. If you`re on a budget, get some Meguiar`s NXT at your local chain store. You should even use it on your wheels.

You can also get Meguiar`s 3 Step system too. It`s designed to be applied by hand.

You can get the system....apply NXT before the last step and be set for 2-3 months.

All for under 50.00......easy.

nisdodge
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Is the meguiars 3 step available from autopia? I fould the nxt but I cannot find much else from meguiars on the site.

Also the wax I usually use is the zymol, its the blue wax. I usually use that for the body. I only use the turtle wax I metioned for the wheels. However I have been wanting to try the Turtle wax ICE but I heard mixed opinions in it.

thesacrifice
10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Turtle Wax Ice is a joke, don`t bother.

Polish by hand is going to be a chore but very doable.

imported_CDTGaticaW201
10-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Is the meguiars 3 step available from autopia? I fould the nxt but I cannot find much else from meguiars on the site.

Also the wax I usually use is the zymol, its the blue wax. I usually use that for the body. I only use the turtle wax I metioned for the wheels. However I have been wanting to try the Turtle wax ICE but I heard mixed opinions in it.

You should be able to get Megs 3-step from Autozone, Napa would probably be able to order it for you if they don`t have it on the shelf or if you don`t have an Autozone around you.

justin30513
10-29-2006, 06:05 PM

You can get it at AutoZone or Advanced Auto.

If you want you can get a PC in a kit from autogeek for 200.00. You`d be happy with the investment. You get pads, compounds, and wax.......and a PC! Quality stuff that you`d always use.

bill57
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Besides Autozone and Advanced Auto, you can find the line at Murray`s, if you have one in your area.