PDA

View Full Version : Tips for working on Older Vehicles?

skitelluride531
10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Well...I have been in contact with a guy who wants me to come out and detail 3 of his vehicles for him. The first is a 1974 Pantera. The second in a 1980 TR8, and finally a 1985 Euro Ferrari 308.

Has anyone worked on similar vehicles in the past? I am just looking for some tips, and maybe a few things to look out for.

Thanks!

David Fermani
10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Be really, really, really careful. Don`t wash the engines unless it`s requested and you tell the customer that you`re not responsible for ANY water damage.

BigJimZ28
10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Be really, really, really careful. Don`t wash the engines unless it`s requested and you tell the customer that you`re not responsible for ANY water damage.

did you have a problem with water damage?

I agree be careful, but there is less to damage in an older engine bay

use a polish/ glaze with some good oils in it(rmg, meg`s)

David Fermani
10-29-2006, 10:25 PM
did you have a problem with water damage?

I agree be careful, but there is less to damage in an older engine bay

I had enough problems detailing (and repairing) newer vehicle`s due to water damage to be real weary on older/specialty ones. Try replacing anything electrical on an old Ferrari. The diagnostic charge alone is a small fortune, better yet replacing something small like a starter silonoid or a spark plug. Older vehicles might be less complex than newer ones, but remember that a 30 year old vehicle could be an accident waiting to happen and is very delicate. Washing a carbed small block Ford or Chevy engine is super easy and simple to clean and even easier to repair, but a vintage Ferrari and/or Panterra is a completely different animal. Be very careful and cover your butt. The minute something goes wrong, the owner will blame you and without getting a verbal or written agreement on possible damage prior to the start of repair, you`ll be liable. Not worth the headache to me.

the other pc
10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
...Washing a carbed small block Ford or Chevy engine is super easy and simple to clean and even easier to repair, but a vintage Ferrari and/or Panterra is a completely different animal....Panteras come with carbed small block Fords.

But the advice to be wary of engine detailing is still valid. They’re not know for their electrical reliability.

If the paint’s original they`re probably both single stage (and likely soft). Just be careful and methodical.

PC.

BigJimZ28
10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I see your point and I agee with you but

the electronics are far less and easier to find & cover on an older car(that my point)

b.t.w. the panterra engine is a carbed small block Ford!

David Fermani
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Panteras come with carbed small block Fords.

PC.

Didn`t Panteras have Clevelands? Aren`t they kinda considered a Big Block? Kinda in-between. :nixweiss

BigJimZ28
10-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Didn`t Panteras have Clevelands? Aren`t they kinda considered a Big Block? Kinda in-between. :nixweiss

yes it is a 351 small block ford (not sure if cleveland or winsor)

no kinda when it comes to engines!

the other pc
10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Cleveland, mated to a ZF transaxle, awesome combo.

PC.

Accumulator
10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
skitelluride531- As noted, the paint oughta be single stage on all three (if it`s original or an older repaint) and it`ll probably be soft (unless it`s white, which would be very hard).

Be careful polishing around panel lines/corners/high spots as the paint will be both thin and fragile (at least with regard to heat). Don`t try for perfection, better imperfect original paint than a need for a repaint.

As noted, oil-rich products can be great on ss paint. I wouldn`t go any more aggressive than Meguiar`s #80 and I`d consider using one of their "pure polishes" before the LSP. I`d choose a heavy carnauba for the LSP as opposed to a synthetic sealant.

Be careful to blow excess water out of the nooks and crannies. Some cars of that vintage (especially Italian and British cars ;) ) will rust if you cry near them; you don`t want to leave a bunch of water back in the panel recesses where many of these cars have hardly any paint (if any at all!) and what paint they do have there is usually coarsely textured, which will retain moisture.