PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 3M Perfect-It 3

Andy M
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I am very new to the level of detailing I have been enjoying recently,primarily after finding this site. I bought a PC a few weeks ago and so far have got results that I am really pleased with using Sonus Enhance and FG. And I just love the Klasse SG that I had never heard of until reading about it here.

I have also bought, from a local body shop supplier, some 3M Perfect-It 3, Machine polish and Finishing glaze. Does anyone have experience with these please ? Are they ok to use with my PC ? Someone has told me they are not for use with a PC.

Any advice please would be very gratefully received, or hints on how to make best use of them ?

Thanks,

Andrew

Accumulator
10-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Andrew M- Welcome to Autopia!

When I saw the title of your thread I thought I could help, but that`s a PI-III product I`m not familiar with :( I`ll extrapolate from the PI-III line experience I *do* have, hope something in the following is useful.

Since I`ve used the PI-III Rubbing Compound 05933 and PI-III Machine Glaze 05937 by PC and by hand, I`m confident that you can use the product you have by PC and by hand also. Other than the really aggressive PI-III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound 05936 I always found the PI-III line pretty accomodating with regard to application method.

I`d use it with a mild polishing pad, one that doesn`t contribute any "cut" of its own. IMO a more aggressive pad just won`t match the presumably mild nature of the product and a too-mild/finishing pad will probably load/gum up (but you could always try it).

Don`t use too much product. Use enough to "prime" the pad so you don`t have any areas of bare foam, but then use *just* enough to keep the pad moist with product. Check the pad frequently in case it gums/cakes/dries up on you. Don`t use so much that you get a thick layer of white polish on the panels, you don`t want nearly that much. Remember that a quart-size bottle oughta do a whole bunch of vehicles the size of a Suburban ;)

Try a small area first and don`t work the product all the way "dry" before you buff it off, but *do* work it a bit. Not much pressure, you want to break it down but you don`t want to "grind it into the paint" if you know what I mean. See how the small area looks, and do some good rigorous inspection so you can make sure you really see any problems if they`re there (which would surprise me). Once you find out how it`s working, I`d be interested to hear your thoughts on the product, so post back about it if you get the chance.

Andy M
10-28-2006, 05:59 PM
That`s great. Thanks for that, very useful.

Hopefully I`ll get some time and decent weather tomorrow and will try using them with my PC, as you suggest above. I`ll post with the results and will also write the product codes for reference.

Thanks again.

Andrew

superstring
10-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Accumulator`s the Man when it comes to the 3M Perfect-It III products! :D I bought 05937 and 05933 a year or so ago, primarily based on what Accumulator had to say about the products. I`ve only used the Machine Glaze by PC so far but, if the others in the line up work the same, you won`t have any problems. Very user friendly AND effective. :)

Andy M
10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Didn`t get a chance to use the 3M today but just for info the 2 products are :

Machine Polish # 09376

Finishing Glaze # 09377

Should have mentioned that I am in UK so the names and codes might be changed for the 2 markets. I will see if 3M can give me a conversion on the code numbers.

Thanks,

Andrew

Accumulator
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the product numbers but they don`t ring a bell with me :nixweiss

IIRC, and I`m not too sure about this...the finishing glaze is pretty heavy on wax/etc. as in "fillers". That`s not a criticism, just an observation, and again, that`s from memory (which I wouldn`t trust too much ;) ).

You might go to 3M`s website and see if you can find any pertinent info, but I dunno if they still list PI-III stuff there.