PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to update hepatitis B vaccination?

Corey Bit Spank
10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Next year I`m going to be working with some not so nice creatures, so my vaccinations have to be updated.

I noticed on my immunization records that I had the 3 hepatitis B vaccinations in 98, but it says "11-19." It made me wonder that since I`m 20 now that maybe I need another set?

I should call my doctor`s office, but it`s too late. Thought maybe I`d get lucky on here and get somebody with the looooowdown. :)

zippymbr
10-25-2006, 04:26 PM
I got a full set of shots including Hep A and B before I went to Africa. I was told that that was it after I finnished the series of 2 shots.

imported_paradigm
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
3 shots for hep B is standard...i am not aware of it expiring or needing a "booster"...just give your clinic a call and ask. they would probably just run an antibody titre to verify.

here is a note from a quick google search:

Studies have shown that infants, children and adults who have responded to a three-dose hepatitis B immunization series are protected from hepatitis B for at least 15 years even if they lose detectable antibodies over time. Long-term protection relies on the immunological memory, which allows a protective anamnestic antibody response after exposure to HBV.

06E90
10-25-2006, 05:19 PM
You are good to go. The 11-19 just refers to the age range where it was given. The only reason you would need another one is if one of the booster doses was given too early. If there is any doubt, blood work can confirm your immune status.

DaGonz
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Ask for a titre test when you have bloodwork done. That will determine whether you still have antibodies in your system.

Corey Bit Spank
10-26-2006, 11:47 AM
yaaay thank you. I`m pumped for next fall. It`s going to be fun. :)

imported_memnuts
10-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Ask for a titre test when you have bloodwork done. That will determine whether you still have antibodies in your system.

Bingo!!!

Have a HBsAb (hepatitis B surface antibody(anti-HBs)) titre done if in doubt. This will give you your immune status. This should be automatically done by your clinic with your history of immunization in 1998 prior to considering re-vaccination.

With that stated, CDC recommendation and literature states:

Current data show that vaccine-induced hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs) levels may decline over time; however, immune memory (anamnestic anti-HBs response) remains intact indefinitely following immunization. Persons with declining antibody levels are still protected against clinical illness and chronic disease.

For health care workers with normal immune status who have demonstrated an anti-HBs response following vaccination, booster doses of vaccine are not recommended nor is periodic anti-HBs testing.

Hope this helps. :wavey

cute02spec
10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
What do you do for a job? My last job provided me with the vaccine and titered me since it was at a plasma donation center. Just curious... in a few weeks I have to have a bunch of TB stuff done since I am starting a new job in a bacteriology department.

Corey Bit Spank
10-26-2006, 11:08 PM
It`s for school. I will be taking an immunology course with a lab. :)

06E90
10-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Bingo!!!

Have a HBsAb (hepatitis B surface antibody(anti-HBs)) titre done if in doubt. This will give you your immune status. This should be automatically done by your clinic with your history of immunization in 1998 prior to considering re-vaccination.

With that stated, CDC recommendation and literature states:

Current data show that vaccine-induced hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs) levels may decline over time; however, immune memory (anamnestic anti-HBs response) remains intact indefinitely following immunization. Persons with declining antibody levels are still protected against clinical illness and chronic disease.

For health care workers with normal immune status who have demonstrated an anti-HBs response following vaccination, booster doses of vaccine are not recommended nor is periodic anti-HBs testing.

Hope this helps. :wavey

Good info, the clinic would not automatically do the testing though, as long as he has evidence that the three doses were done at the proper intervals he is good to go. Now for the interesting part. Not everyone who receives the vaccines will be immune. Immunoconversion is somewhere in the high 90%. I myself had three doses and was tested because at the time I did not have evidence of the third dose (I later found it) and guess what, I was not immune! They just gave me one additional dose. As the bold faced staement says, repeating the series is not recommended, neither is routine testing. In my case I was tested because I am a health care provider.