PDA

View Full Version : harbour frieght rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_steveo3002
10-25-2006, 05:12 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623

anyone use this?? is it okay for the price?? :buffing:

imported_smprince1
10-25-2006, 05:26 AM
It is worth every penny .... and not one penny more. As usual you get what you pay for.

I have used one and found it to be underpowered and no speed control to keep rotation constant under varying loads.

Some have used and claimed they were fine for their purposes. Personally, for auto detailing I would spend the money and get a quality machine.

Just my 2 cents.

jjstwuk
10-25-2006, 06:02 AM
I pretty new still, but I haven`t had any trouble with mine. Speed control works great. I wastched a Mothers Car Show series on ESPN last week. In a how to spot in a Mothers garage, they had a guy in the background of a shot using the same one.

imported_steveo3002
10-25-2006, 08:08 AM
im kinda thinking its worth having around at that price

is the speed control marked in rpms or just 1,2,3,4,5 like a pc

Dan
10-25-2006, 08:19 AM
I pretty new still, but I haven`t had any trouble with mine. Speed control works great. I wastched a Mothers Car Show series on ESPN last week. In a how to spot in a Mothers garage, they had a guy in the background of a shot using the same one.

I somehow doubt that, it was probably a de-walt... same color. I have one, its fine for hobby detailing but you may need to follow with a pc anyway so don`t look at it as a money saving option.

joe.p
10-25-2006, 09:53 AM
I did see a pic of there detail cart it looked worth the $$$ ..for tools i would stay with a better line..

sspeer
10-25-2006, 10:31 AM
I`ve got one. I`ve only used it once. I would say it`s fine if you only want to use it for some occasional nasty items a PC can`t tackle and are a non-professional. Go with a better brand if you want to use it alot.

Envious Eric
10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
its a piece of junk......bogs down under pressure, sporadic speed spikes, and over all sucks!!! IMO

i got a hitachi now and it feels better built, performs 100 times better, and is easier to control, no speed spikes.....

imported_GregCavi
10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I used several all summer long when I detailed boats with my buddy. I would never use one on a car because they are not a quality machine. Anytime you have the pad on the surface, it bogs down so as the speed would say 1500 rpm, I may only realistically be going 1000. Also this machine is just very cheap (hence the price) which is why my boss this summer while I detailed boats had to keep buying them. So bottom line is if your looking to do rotary work on a regular basis, this is not your machine. Save up and buy a Makita; You will not be disappointed.

Greg

Zrex61
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
I somehow doubt that, it was probably a de-walt... same color.

You may need to have your eyes checked, the Dewalt is bright yellow, the Horrible Fright polisher is black & orange. I have both, the Dewalt for buffing out new paint & the HF for grinding old paint off using some fairly nasty looking 3M pads that are capable of sdtripping an entire car with 2 discs to bare metal in a morning.....

Djmigs
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
steveo as everyone mention it bogs under pressure another thing i didnt like is it doesnt state the number(1-6) to speed(600-3000)no chart

but the Hf rotary you might consider is this http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do ( it wont show up so on the item search feature type in "56407" )this one is more powerful and wont bog down, but the downside is it been discountuned

if your interested i have one like new im selling pm if intrested, reason is i came up on a Hitachi, so i have no use for it.....

another high speed you can consider is Vector there a thread on it but i have never used it ....

fdizzle
10-25-2006, 10:38 PM
It is worth every penny .... and not one penny more. As usual you get what you pay for.

:funnypost That is the classiest line I have ever seen. WOW, LMAO

Rayc777
10-25-2006, 11:02 PM
steveo

If you are going to get a chicago electric, get this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90820

I know an awesome body shop that use CE and the employees like them.

They don`t cost much to replace if an employee breaks one.

In the right hands ANY decently working variable speed rotary can polish paint to a high gloss.

Derrick

Bob G
10-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Why any service business will not invest in good equipment is equall to building a reputation for failure in one way or another.

Bob Geco

Rayc777
10-25-2006, 11:57 PM
It has to do with return on investment. A $250 machine will LAST longer than a $30 to $50 dollar machine BUT you could keep 5 or more employees working with cheap CE units and maybe have enough money to have one or two spare units. Compared to having only one really good name brand rotary and hoping it doesn`t break.

Derrick