PDA

View Full Version : Waxing New Clearcoat

imported_FX35
10-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi all! This is my first post on this great forum. I am virtually illiterate when it comes to car detailing. In the past, it was wash, wax, that`s it. But I just leased a new `06 Infiniti FX35 (hence the user name), and I`d really like to take care of it (not least of all because it`s a lease that I`ll need to return).

I`ve decided to use NXT paste wax, and I also bought some of the NXT detailing spray, which I love. Since my FX is brand new, the clearcoat finish is in excellent condition. The color is dark metallic silver ("Diamond Graphite"). I read an article on this forum suggesting that paint cleaners might not be the best way to go with clearcoat paint, and, moreover, cleaners might not even be necessary for this kind of finish.

So my question is, since I have a clearcoat finish, and since this finish is currently in great condition, what steps are recommended after washing and before waxing with NXT? Should I clay the car? What about a cleaner? Or a polish?

I should also point out that this car is only a one-year lease (it`s a great deal that Infiniti has been offering lately!). So though I want to take care of it and keep it looking its best, I`m not really thinking long term.

Thanks in advance for your help!

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-25-2006, 01:25 AM
I would recommend just washing, claying, then using your NXT. Unless you have some swirls that should be fine, the NXT has some fillers that will help with any imperfections your dealer may have installed.

Back to the clay, even brand new cars right off the lot end up with rail-dust from shipment and other contaminates from storage and a clay bar will help fix those. My personal recommendation for clay is the Mothers Cali-Gold, its locally available at most auto parts stores which is a big plus and the price isn`t too bad either.