PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy warranty on tires?

twopu
10-23-2006, 07:16 PM
I`m FINALLY looking to buy new all season tires: Avon Tech M550 A/S, Continental ContiExtremeContact, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S(215/50/17) for my Accord and started looking into Tireracks road hazard warranty (listed below). I`ve had two tires go because of pot holes (4 years ago) but haven`t had a problem since. Any thoughts on the warranty? Also, any thoughts on the all season tires?

"Tires are covered for 36 months from the date of purchase or until 2/32" or less of tread remains, whichever occurs first.

Repairs are reimbursed up to $25 per tire per occurrence.

During the first 12 months, you will be reimbursed for 100% of the original cost of the tire covered by the Tire Road Hazard Service Program, subject to the limitations set forth in the Program Certificate. Beyond the first 12 months, the reimbursable amount is calculated by a proration of elapsed time, not to exceed 36 months. "

Envious Eric
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
look in to america`s tire warranty....its like 8-12 bucks a tire and it covers everything....even sticks from offroading....

Scottwax
10-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I normally don`t buy the warranty at Discount Tire because my tire size, 205/60/15 (H rated) really aren`t that expensive to replace. However, when I replaced my front tires due to wear on the inner tread (most likely an alignment problem), Discount still prorated the tires against the 50,000 mile guarantee as along as I bought the warranty certificates on the tires. Since I was still coming out about $40 ahead total, I took the deal. Wouldn`t you know it, a month later, I was driving along, minding my own business when I noticed what looked like water in the intersection. Turned out to be a ton of glass and it ended up taking out the inner sidewall on one of those tires. Took it back, got a new tire for the cost of another certificate ($12). Without it, I would have been out $78.

I`ve totally rethought my opinion of the certificates now. Cheap insurance, especially if you have truck or high performance tires that cost a lot to replace.

bigltc
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I have an affinity for nails. I`ve had tires repaired or replaced so its been worth the cost.

DaGonz
10-23-2006, 09:43 PM
The shop that I get my tires from has a road hazard warranty that costs $10 per tire.The road hazard warranty is also honored at any Goodyear dealer, so I look at it as cheap insurance.

az57chevy
10-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Michelin`s offer no road hazard warranty so I always get one from Discount. Not willing to risk a nail near the sidewall two seconds after I`m out of the shop.

SpoiledMan
10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I`m a Costco shopper and get my tires from there as well. They all come with a road hazard warranty among other things.

BobD
10-24-2006, 06:40 AM
I usually don`t. On my Avon`s, which you will love by the way, I just figured if anything went wrong I would just order a new tire. Tirerack.com ships fast. I would probably get the Avon faster than the local tire shops could get it done anyway. LOL

cute02spec
10-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I declined the warranty on my tires and rims, mostly because I bought them from Wheel Max and would`ve had to send in either the wheel, tire, or both if I wanted it replaced. And it was only a year warranty. My year is up in February, and the car is in storage, so I am happy I didn`t spend the extra $50 or so dollars for it. My wheels are also discontinued so I can`t get a replacement if I wanted to, even from the company (I do have two spares, though, yay!)

If I had gotten them from an actual store and the price was cheaper, I would`ve considered it. But then again, if something happened, I would be left with one brand tire and 3 used tires on the car...

Envious Eric
10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
my friend gets his offroad tires replaced for free when he races and pops a tire from either a rock or bush...pretty valuable in his case....12 bucks a tire!!!! (after the first one)