PDA

View Full Version : question regarding langka

zilla
04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I`ve had my car since last August, and while it had very few miles on it, the previous owner didn`t do much for the paint. There are a couple of scratches that have been touched up, and the unsightly "blob" of paint has been left behind :doh I`m not sure what the best way to tackle the "blob." I`m aware of the Langka repair system, and the blob remover it comes with. Would that work even though the paint has had time to cure completely (lord only knows when the scratches were touched up)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

ben54
04-09-2005, 09:31 PM
I do not think so. If that were the case, then the blob remover would remove all of the paint around the blob. I tried the Langka system, and thought it worked well, but there still needs to be a little mound after you are done because as the paint cures, it shrinks. I normally use fine grit sandpaper followed by a polish, after the paint cures to smooth it out.

CharlesW
04-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Based on my experiences with Langka, I think there is a very good chance that it would still have an effect on the touchup paint. The durability of the touchup paint is nowhere near that of the factory original paint on our vehicles.
FWIW, my best results have been with chips and not all of them turned out the way I would have liked. Linear scratches have been consistently less than I would like.
There definitely is an art to using the stuff and I don`t yet have it mastered.
Fortunately, I haven`t had to use it enough to develop the skill. Maybe some practice on an old beater or scrap panel would be worth the effort.
One good thing about the process. If you mess up, you can remove just about all the touchup paint you applied and start over.

Charles

zilla
04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
in case the blob remover doesn`t work once I get around to trying it, anybody have an suggestions for smoothing touchup paint? lol :)

Eliot Ness
04-09-2005, 10:19 PM
in case the blob remover doesn`t work once I get around to trying it, anybody have an suggestions for smoothing touchup paint? lol :)
I`ve used this system from Eastwood in the past and it worked well. Although I liked the "sanding spool", I would probably use a 4" pad on my PC and some other polish if I used it today, but the buffing pad they supplied used with a quality cordless drill did a good job when I used it. I think I may have also used some finer grit paper, like about 2500 for some of the touch-ups I did. BTW, a few years ago (when I used this) they had a different polish than the Meg`s they now supply.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1802&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=touch+up

forrest@mothers
04-10-2005, 09:55 AM
The Langka will work, just much slower (which is actually a good thing because it will give you more control).

Remember to use light pressure - don`t rub hard. Let the Langka do the work, and check it every few passes for progress.