PDA

View Full Version : Product line`s & advice

Pages : [1] 2

Fallz
10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
I dont know what to pick for a shop product line ? Do you use boutique stuff or like CG , FK , ect.... or a combo of them. It needs to be cost efficent, but I`m a anal retentative man of quality workmanship . so I pretty much know what I`m doing ( no expert by any means ),but I want quality work to be done. Some of the places I`ve checked were expensive and bash them in bash them out and very marginal work at best.

I recently quit my job and am going into detailing at 44 y/o , but I have been doing cars on the side for cash since I was 18. I have a heated and insulated garage at home.Really not sure if going mobile set up is worth it here since it would only be 4-5 mo. out of the year.

Also thinking about getting a partner , and a shop in a busy location.

Just so you all don`t think I`m off my rocker, I`m also doing some marketing projects for medical field part time here and there, but really wanting to follow my passions in life. I`m fortunately in a good financial position to do this at this point in my life. No bills , no mortgage , great health ins. w/wife , vehicles are paid for , so I thought good as time as any.

brwill2005
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Check out Hi-Temp products. You wont be disappointed in quality or price.

BobD
10-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Four Star professional Products are awesome for what you are looking for.

Scottwax
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Optimum`s line would be great for a high volume shop. No dusting either. Meguiars is also good because their line of products pretty much covers all areas of detailing.

rollman
10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
You`ll get as many different opinion`s as you will posts , everybody has their own favorite . I would give them all a try and pick which you like the best to work with . Best of luck in your new endeavor. :bufffing:

Envious Eric
10-24-2006, 05:42 PM
if I were to run a shop location, i would buy 5 gallon drums of the following, or 55 gallons if possible for higher volume shop

megs wheel brightener

megs APC+

megs Hyper dressing

megs leather conditioner

dedicated carpet cleaner of choice

glass cleaner of choice - stoners if possible

optimum hyper compound

optimum compound

optimum polish

optimum no rinse

optimum car wax

optimum polyseal

megs nxt metal polish

megs 20/21 sealant waxes

about 10 jars of pinnacle souveran

excel detail towels for every aspect - polishing, wax removal, waffle weave drying, sheepskin mitts, chennile mitts (NO synthetic mitts anywhere). Also I would pick ever about 10-20 of the erasure pads from exceldetail....its nice to have extra when you run into a busy day and you dont want to clean pads in the middle of a smooth detail! just slap on a new one

get a couple PC`s, a couple rotary polishers, and different size backingplates for possible different size pads, or just a few backing plates for the one size pad you run with - I melting a backing plate in the middle of a detail and had to take 45 min to go to a shop to get another one....I carry about 4 now!

try to run with as much items that carry multiple uses as possible - I.E. megs APC+ can be used on leather, carpets, dashes, door jams, etc instead of just one product for the leather, one for the dash, one for the carpets...save costs!

this reminds me I have too many products I dont use....i need to clean out my cabinets!!!

Jordan@DD
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I wish I would have discovered megs APC sooner.

APC + steamer = Magic!

jamesuh
10-26-2006, 03:01 AM
I don`t think you can go wrong with Meguiar`s. Their line carries just about everything you need and it comes in bulk and at competitive prices such as their detailer lines. Also, I think it helps that the average person has heard of Meguiar`s since their products are sold everywhere.

Envious Eric
10-27-2006, 05:05 PM
here is my next order in about 2 days....just waiting on responses for prices...I wish optimum sold in gallons for polishes, although I talked to david yesterday and he mentioned that I should be using the equivalent amount of a gallon of other product compared to a quart of his stuff because it goes a long way...i dont see how, but i`ll give it a try next time as I was using the same amount of both megs and optimum

optimum hyper compound - 2

optimum compound - 2

optimum polish - 1

optimum protectant plus for leather and vinyl/plastics - interior stuff

megs APC+ as a carpet cleaner and plastic cleaner

megs glass cleaner concentrate - 10:1 makes it about $1.50 per gallon!!!

megs wheel brightener - 4:1 makes it 5 bucks a gallon!

megs hyper dressing - 4:1 makes it 10 bucks a gallon!

sonus block clay - 6 100 gram bars for 45 bucks! - 7.$$? per bar

I have no idea why it took me so long to start bulking my products, but I guess i had to live and try and learn what works best for me...so there you have my go to products and what i feel is necessary to clean a car, in bulk!!! total cost will be about 250 all said and done...

Scottwax
10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
here is my next order in about 2 days....just waiting on responses for prices...I wish optimum sold in gallons for polishes, although I talked to david yesterday and he mentioned that I should be using the equivalent amount of a gallon of other product compared to a quart of his stuff because it goes a long way...i dont see how,

Less = more has never been so true as it is with Optimum`s polishes. Use about half of what you think you need once the pad is primed. The cut is actually better when you lose less. Use too much and the abrasives ride up on the lubricating oils and won`t break down properly.

Ron Harris
10-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Here is how I do it.

I purchase all my shampoos, Apc, and tire dressing local. By the Gallon.

ONLINE ORDERS.

Optimum

Protectant Plus

Polish

Hyper compound

Poly-Seal

Spray Wax

Carwash

No Rinse

Lake Country Pads

Jeff`s AJ

Scottwax
10-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Ron-sounds like a good list! I`d probably add Optimum Polish though even though Poli-Seal does have a mild cut to it. I guess you can also use Hyper with a polishing pad to see if the marring is minimal enough that Poli-Seal can remove it. :nixweiss

BTW, Werkstatt AJ and Trigger work great over Poli-Seal!

Ron Harris
10-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Scott,

The polish is on the list.

Has Larry recived any of the new Hyper Compound?

I would like to here what you think of it.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I dont know what to pick for a shop product line?

You will not be disappointed going with Meguiar`s professional line of products. You can always count on Meguiar`s products to be consistant from batch to batch. And the fact that most detailing customer`s know the Meguiar`s brand by name, is a definite plus. Just stop by their website and find a local Meguiar`s distributor in your area. Believe me, it will be the best business decision you will ever make.

My comments are based on my own experience.

Envious Eric
10-28-2006, 12:19 PM
i agree with the megs line for everything but the polish line....I find the optimum line to be much better in regards to polishes....I made a complete switch