PDA

View Full Version : 4" orange pad or 6" Edge green or yellow pad

xinkid
10-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Hello, after using SSR2.5 with the Edge orange light cutting pad on my trunk, I realized that this combo takes forever before most obvious scratches are removed. I moved the PC very slowly with significant pressure and overlapping passes.. it still took me at least 3-4 applications to see some scratch removal. First couple applications merely took out some oxidation.

I`m going to try to save time by going to a more aggressive pad. but I don`t know which would be a better time saver.. a more aggressive 6" pad - green, yellow, OR 4" pads? Has Anyone compared the two?

slightly off topic question: do you think OC or OHC will also save me time? I have a feeling the no dust and long working time really helps to make each application more productive?

thanks for your advice.

Peter

LeadingEdgeDetail
10-22-2006, 11:43 AM
If you haven`t used 4" pads, try them.

You won`t be dissapointed.

Even if I don`t do the entire car with them, bumpers are MUCH easier and turn out far better with 4" pads :)

imported_paradigm
10-22-2006, 12:22 PM
:werd: on the 4" pads...very useful...try `em.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Heh heh, everyone here must already know that I`m a fan of 4" pads on the PC for correction.

xinkid
10-22-2006, 12:43 PM
thanks!

Do you think the 4" orange light cutting is good enough for almost everything or do I ever need the 4" yellow heavy cutting pad too. I`m afraid that the yellow pad can do some real damage.

LeadingEdgeDetail
10-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I`ve never used the yellow, but it sounds like a good idea to have, in case the orange doesn`t "cut it".

It is best to have at least one of every level, if nothing else than so you`re able to try first-hand each one, and see how well they correct.

I personally use the Orange 4" pad for nearly everything, or the 6.5" Orange pad for larger areas.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I`d get `em both just because I`m like that :o But IMHO the orange will do the work with the right product, and having the right product is the limiting factor with the PC (just IMO). I`ve done some pretty surprising correction with the 4" orange pad on the PC, but you gotta have something that`ll both cut and break down (without the heat of a rotary) to use with it.

xinkid
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
thanks for the feedback! I got one of each color except yellow because I don`t think I wanna go that aggressive, ever. ;)

Accumulator
10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I got one of each color except yellow because I don`t think I wanna go that aggressive, ever...

Heh heh, famous last words ;) But really, if I can`t do something with the orange ones I just get out the rotary anyhow.

trhland
10-24-2006, 04:30 AM
can you use the green and blue pads with compound?? or are they just for polishing?and the yellow is only for compounding?

xinkid
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
trhland, I assume you`re talking about the Edge pads? The green is more aggressive than orange in the Edge pad system and the blue is milder. So I think blue is good for polishing and green is for compounding. I don`t see how you can use yellow for polishing.. maybe if your paint is ultra super hard..

xinkid
10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
I just realized that the orange Edge pad is actually a "polishing" pad. It is comparable in stiffness to the green Cyclo polishing pad I just got. The orange Cyclo 4" pad is much stiffer. I think I just found out why I`m having such a hard time using it to remove some major swirls. Those manufactures can`t agree on some colors?! But I don`t mind the switch to 4" pads. :)

imported_hooked
10-28-2006, 08:08 AM
can you use the green and blue pads with compound?? or are they just for polishing?and the yellow is only for compounding?

I just used the green pad with Optimum Compound and the blue with Werkstatt Prime:Strong with decent results. My intention was not aggressive scratch removal but to give the paint a good cleaning and shine.

BTW, this was on a PC.