PDA

View Full Version : Ok After Hours Of Searching This Is What I Am Bringing to War

imported_DieselMDX
10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Well after searching for countless hours and asking my good friend G35stilez a ton of questions I have decided on this combination for my vehicles.

2005 Honda Accord-Graphite Pearl

2006 Acura MDX-Billet Silver.

I have been a person that has loved cars since my first vehicle a VW rabbit and the passion has only increased with age. I never knew there was so much to detailing a car until I learned about this site. I cant thank everyone enuff for all there help by posting there results from there experiences. I have always been the guy working on my car and have been happy with the results but boy was I doing it all wrong!

My accord has some bad imprefections that will take some time effort to fix, but the MDX is brand new so polishing will most likely be kept to a minimum.

I have decided on these products to tackle my job.

Porter Cable 7424

Optimum polish

Optimum compound

Optimum hyper compound

Lake country 7.5 concaved pads

Zaino sealent Kit

Poor boys wheel sealent

gold class Wash

The menzerna polishes do look promising but seeing as I am a newbie i am going to stick with these for the time being until i get more comfortable.

I have a couple of points of interest, I know zaino`s ZPC is something I should invest in but how would I use that with all of my other compounds? Does the ZPC take the place of any of my optimum polishes?

After using my final optimum polish can I start with the zaino process immediatly after?

Thank you all I look forward to learning more

imported_paradigm
10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
very nice product selection. the only weakness i see is the 7.5" pads...those will limit the PC to what it can correct due to being so large. you may want to consider getting a smaller backplate and pads to help with more difficult marring, etc.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
DieselMDX- Welcome to serious detailing :D

I dunno if the 7.5" pads will work out all that well. Whenever I try to do correction by PC the larger pads (even just the 6.5" ones) tend to bog the machine down too much and I have to switch to 4" pads to remove any significant marring.

My experience with the 7.5" pads was so lousy that I only use them with the rotary now (and I still prefer smaller pads on that too).

It`s just something to consider, give it some thought before you order the pads...too many people experience frustration when they start doing this stuff and find that the PC doesn`t correct things as quickly/easily as they`d expected and I usually consider large pads to be a big reason why this happens. If you can avoid some of that frustration you`ll be off to a better start.

imported_DieselMDX
10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
thank you very much for those insights you do make an excellent point.

LC carrys the 4" pads also?

Could it be possible I can buy the harsher pads in the 4" and the 7.5" for finishing?

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, Lake makes 4" pads, but AFAIK they`re concave and some people don`t like that. Cyclo brand pads and the SFX ones are what I have the most of.

I generally use the 4"/then larger the way you`re contemplating. How hard the paint is will have a lot to do with how soon you can switch to the larger pads. Hard to look into the crystal ball and know just what to order ;) which is one reason why I have a zillion pads on hand :o

imported_GregCavi
10-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I have used the 7.5" pads before with pc and had no troubles. You have a great lineup on stuff to perfect your vehicle. The optimum polishes with perfect and the Zaino will be the very durable icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Greg

imported_DieselMDX
10-22-2006, 12:24 PM
thanx for all your help guys!

joe.p
10-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I have used the 7.5" pads before with pc and had no troubles. You have a great lineup on stuff to perfect your vehicle. The optimum polishes with perfect and the Zaino will be the very durable icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Greg

Same here with the pads,my only suggestion would be to pick up a 6" flex backing plate.you have chosen a very nice line of products and greg is correct..zaino will be the icing on the cake ..

btw, will he have to go with a 6" counter weight when using the larger pads?

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 12:36 PM
.. will he have to go with a 6" counter weight when using the larger pads?

IMO the 6" counterweight is *always* best as even a 4" pad (especially when wet with product) weighs more than a single sheet of sandpaper and that`s what the counterweight design is based on.