PDA

View Full Version : What makes a "detailed"/cleaned car look bad?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
10-22-2006, 09:00 AM
I often see a car that has been freshly detailed, or more correctly someone paid to have it cleaned up and it just looks plain bad. Tops on my list are:

1. Dirty wheel wells... totally kills the look, my #1 peave

2. Holograms - someone paid for those!

3. Runny tire dressing (like No-Touch applied poorly) and sling all over the sides of the car

So what drives you crazy?

Wasatch
10-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Glass not done

Roof not done

No tire dressing, tire`s not even washed

Interior not done

Holograms on the hood

White95Max
10-22-2006, 11:20 AM
In addition to the above...

Brake dust in the corners between each of the wheel spokes.

Cloudy headlight plastic.

imported_Totoland Mach
10-22-2006, 11:30 AM
In addition to those points above, mine is not cleaning that last 1/4 - 1/2 inch of side window glass that`s nestled in the frame when the windows are up. I usually crack the side windows a couple of inches, clean the edges, then put the windows back up. Probably goofy of me, but I can`t stand to crack a window and see grunge on a freshly detailed car.

Toto

Dan
10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
In addition to the above...

Brake dust in the corners between each of the wheel spokes.

Good one... love it when someone can`t be bothered to wash in between the spokes and only washes the face.

White95Max
10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Agreed. Especially if that couple inches is never cleaned, it can get pretty disgusting.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Similar to the wheelwells, nasty (visible) undercarriages. That, and not doing the nooks and crannies, from fuel-filler pockets and doorjambs to recesses around lugnuts and tirevalve stems.

Richt
10-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Much of the same:

Poorly cleaned glass

Badly dressed trim and tyres

Non detailed areas - arches, doorshuts, inside and backs of wheels, underbody and engine bay areas.

Polish residue in crevices

Wasatch
10-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Similar to the wheelwells, nasty (visible) undercarriages. That, and not doing the nooks and crannies, from fuel-filler pockets and doorjambs to recesses around lugnuts and tirevalve stems.

About a month or two ago, I paint the visible spots under my X and the rear differential and the front crossbar, looks alot better, hopefully it will prevent some rust from settleing in.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 11:51 AM
About a month or two ago, I paint the visible spots under my X and the rear differential and the front crossbar, looks alot better, hopefully it will prevent some rust from settleing in.

Good idea :xyxthumbs That`s gotten to be one of my standard jobs when I buy something. Paint, or at least black undercoating...sure makes a difference. It was one of the first things I did on my beater-Blazer and I often notice how crappy the exposed framerails on "better" ones look compared to mine :D Besides the "taking care of your stuff" aspect, it`s an easy way to make certain vehicles stand out, and even look better than they really are (the whole being more than the sum of the parts and all).

imported_GregCavi
10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
- Having your car just waxed instead of polished so there are still plenty of now shiny swirls

- Holograms

- Dirty wheel wells

- Uber gloss dressing that slings all over the lower panels

- Burned trim or paint

- Wax or Sealant in all crevices of the vehicle

- Stained trim from wax or sealant

- Dirty Door Jambs

- Greasy interior Dressing

- Streaky Glass

- Carpets under seats still filthy because the seats were not adjusted

Those are the more obvious ones that I run into all the time after someone has had there car "detailed" previously.

Greg

salty
10-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Rotary splatter on wiper blades.

Paint chips not touched up.

Interior smell.

Interior vents not detailed.

Wasatch
10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Let`s not forget exhaust tips need to be polished. Just did the interior and included weather stripping rubber. Also cleaned up my sub speaker.

panger
10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Dirty pedals. Why detail and shampoo all the interior and neglect the muddy crusty pedals.

TNT C5
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
I always go straight to the lug nuts on the wheels. If the recess is full of brake dust it`s a lousy job in my book. Anybody can wash a car but a pro doesn`t miss anything. I also look for wax dust in the hood and trunk sills. :xyxthumbs