PDA

View Full Version : My First Date With Zaino

Eliot Ness
10-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Today was my first date with Zaino. I finally took the plunge a couple of months back because I wanted to be able to apply more than one coat of sealant at a time on a couple of our daily drivers.

I decided to do the wife-mobile, a dark blue Caravan, and get it ready for winter. I got a late start because I had to cut the grass and suck up some leaves first, so I ran out of daylight by the time I was finished.

The paint is in pretty good condition so I didn`t bother with a polish, especially since winter is right around the corner. I started with a Dawn Pre-soak with my foam gun and followed up with a Z-7 wash and some spot claying with some Wolfgang grey that I have in my stash. I then did a quick Z-6 on the van after cleaning the wheels and tires with EO tire and wheel cleaner. I also used some vinegar on the side windows to clear off some water spots and followed that up with some Invisible Glass. The vinegar did a stellar job at removing the spots, since they weren’t really etched into the glass.

Now came the time to mix up some Z-5 Pro and ZFX. Not knowing for sure how much I was going to use I started out with one ounce. I prepped the pad that came with the Zaino with some Z-6 and got started. Part way through this process I realized that since I was doing three applications on a mini van, that I should have used the PC. The Z-5 went on and off w/o any major issues, but I decided to break out the PC for the other two coats.

I mixed up a little more Z-5/ZFX and used a grey 4” finishing pad prepped with a little bit of Z-6. This was much easier than doing it by hand, and I think I actually used a little less product with the PC. If I was doing a smaller car I might consider doing it by hand, but after doing all of that yard work my arms were getting tired doing that whole van. I hit everything with the Z-5: glass, trim, and wheels. The first application looked OK, but the second application looked even better with a lot of the flake starting to pop out in the (setting) sun. By the third application it was getting dark when I buffed it off, so to help make sure I removed it all I threw a MF bonnet on a 6” orange pad and quickly went over the car. I also threw a couple of coats of Z-16 on the tires. Since it was now dark I can only say it looked pretty good under the parking lot lights when we went out to dinner.

Some final thoughts: I didn’t find mixing the ZFX and Z-5 to be that much of a hassle, and the only problem I see is that you might waste a little if you mix too much. I wound up using about 2 ounces for three coats on the mini-van, but I was trying to ensure complete coverage. I also liked using the PC much better than doing it by hand. I wasted a little product by using the hand applicator first, because I also had to prime the PC pad when I gave up doing it by hand. Also, since I knew I was running out of time I did not do a Z-6 after each coat of Z-5.

I was using speed 3 on the PC and I could see the Z-5 initially going on but it almost seemed to disappear (or flash off) as I was applying it….. it left very little in the way of a haze to buff off. Part of that might have been the loss of daylight I was dealing with. When I applied the Z to the wheels I let it sit on there while I did the final two applications on the paint. When I buffed them off I didn’t have any problems and they felt very slick, hopefully that will help with brake dust.

I threw the 4” pad, the hand applicator, and the bottle of Z/ZFX in my wash bucket of Z-7 to soak, but wound up having to wash them all with Dawn to get them clean.

If the Z is a durable as everyone says it is, then I like the idea of being able to do multiple coats on the same day. After the second coat I thought the van was looking pretty good, but I’m anxious to see it in the daylight tomorrow, and then after I throw some Z-8 on it sometime later.

I’m not sure if I’ll try the Z on my street rod or not; I really like the way my 4 step ClearKote process turns that red paint so deep and wet, but I am tempted to give it a try. I guess I could top it with some Souveran or CMW if needed.

Sorry I didn’t take any pictures, but it’s just a typical mini van that now has 3 coats of Z-5 Pro on it.

Thanks to G35stilez, blkZ28Conv, ronmart, and several other members who have posted several helpful Z tips.

Wasatch
10-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Nice review. Maybe someday I will also take the plunge.

imported_DieselMDX
10-22-2006, 06:26 AM
interested in seeing what you think of the van in the morning, but excellent review

I have my Z kit and am waiting for a good day to apply, i might use the PC also

imported_memnuts
10-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Nice write up of your experience John.

Can`t wait to see pictures.

I too have recently taken to the PC application technique and find it very efficient without too much or equal usage of product. I also like the fact the PC application massages the product into the paint without the fear of material (cotton or MF) induced marring. A finishing pad seem very gentle and might be even hi-lighting the end result. :nixweiss

You are correct about Z not leaving a obvious haze, when applied thinly. Most of the time most of the product is gone if allow to set for an 30 minutes or longer.

Keep us up-dated on your experience (durability, wife`s response ;), etc)

Dan
10-22-2006, 07:54 AM
You are correct about Z not leaving a obvious haze, when applied thinly. Most of the time most of the product is gone if allow to set for an 30 minutes or longer.

The couple of times I used Z6 like Eliot did before putting on Z2 or Z5, I never felt the product was sticking to the paint. It seems Z6 makes the surface too slick. I know Sal says it help with the look to alternate the sealant and the Z6, I feel its a waste of product. It seems the durability suffers in those cases for me.

imported_memnuts
10-22-2006, 08:33 AM
The couple of times I used Z6 like Eliot did before putting on Z2 or Z5, I never felt the product was sticking to the paint. It seems Z6 makes the surface too slick. I know Sal says it help with the look to alternate the sealant and the Z6, I feel its a waste of product. It seems the durability suffers in those cases for me.

I almost aways applied Z6 to the finish prior applying Z2 or Z5. Yes, it does slicken the finsih but that just aids to applying a very thin coats.

During application of Z5PRO, I rarely Z6 between coats in fear of dislodging any sealant in the micro-marring but will Z6 prior to applying a coat of Z2PRO.

You may try just moistening a MF and just go over the finish. This may help.

I can understand completely not wanting to waste any precious Z6 or Z8. :xyxthumbs

J.J.
10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
You gave all that info with no pics. You`re no rookie! You should know better

:showpics

JJ

imported_GregCavi
10-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Glad you tried the Z and am happy that you like it! When you described the first coat as being OK and then the second really livening it up, that was exactly what I encountered about 4 months ago when I started with the Z. Now its all I use on my car, and most of my clients. You will love the Z8 after washes to give it the just waxed look and to keep slickness at its best.

Greg

Eliot Ness
10-22-2006, 01:09 PM
.......I also like the fact the PC application massages the product into the paint without the fear of material (cotton or MF) induced marring. A finishing pad seem very gentle and might be even hi-lighting the end result........Yes, I also felt the finish pad on the PC was "working" the Z into the paint better than I was doing by hand.

The van looks very good today, even though it is overcast and rain is on the way. I also think it feels a little slicker today than when I finished last night. The wife likes it, but she doesn`t really have an eye for this stuff..... it just makes me feel better that it has some good protection on it.
You gave all that info with no pics. You`re no rookie! You should know betterWell, it was dark by the time I finished, plus I`m not much on taking pictures. Like I said, it`s just a dark blue mini van, nothing special about it. If I get a chance to apply some Z-8 next weekend I`ll try to take some pictures.
Glad you tried the Z and am happy that you like it! When you described the first coat as being OK and then the second really livening it up, that was exactly what I encountered about 4 months ago when I started with the Z. Now its all I use on my car, and most of my clients. You will love the Z8 after washes to give it the just waxed look and to keep slickness at its best. Greg, the first coat did look OK.... OK as in I wasn`t disappointed or anything, but the 2nd coat was when I started to notice more "pop" to it.

It`s way too soon to judge anything about the Z on this van except for the appearance, but the fact that I`m considering trying it on my street rod speaks volumes on how well I think the Z-5 looks. And based on other reviews I don`t think I`ll be disappointed with the durability or the Z-8 when I get a chance to try it. It really is a pretty neat "system" and I didn`t mind mixing the ZFX at all.... especially since it allowed me to apply three coats in one day.